The Aaron Rodgers Saga

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GB is stupid for not simply cutting ties and getting what they can.

I think it might be time to trade him, but I also understand why the Packers may force his hand.

Does anyone really see Rodgers walking away from $20+MM and retiring?

I don’t. His value only goes down at this age. He needs to play in 2021.

oldnotdead

Legend
Rodgers doesn't need the money. He's made about $90M thus far and would immediately be hired by a major network and make as much or more. It's why guys like Bilick and Cower who had offers to return to the NFL never did. So he would be retiring a few years early? This is about ego, not money IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rodgers doesn't need the money. He's made about $90M thus far and would immediately be hired by a major network and make as much or more. It's why guys like Bilick and Cower who had offers to return to the NFL never did. So he would be retiring a few years early? This is about ego, not money IMO.

If it’s about ego, then it’s also about money.

His base is $25.5MM the next 2yrs, and that’s before any tweaks it takes to resolve this.

Romo broke the bank at $18MM per year as a broadcaster because he’s likeable. I doubt a network comes out offering Rodgers that kind of coin to start.

With Rodgers you’re right there probably is an ego angle always with him. But call me surprised if he retires.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
SF took themselves out of the Rogers sweepstakes by trading away the picks it woulda took to get him. And their new QB will likely need a season before he becomes a starter. I love it!

As far as Rogers. I always liked him. But this latest saga has soured me on him. Someone might see that as being a malcontent guy. Stafford asked for a trade and the Lions accommodated him. If they told Stafford they wouldn't trade him I'm pretty sure he would not have gone the Rogers route. He's got more class than that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Aaron Rodgers' two biggest problems with the Packers might have just been revealed by one of his close friends​

Aaron Rodgers has only done one football-related interview since his rift with the Packers became public and as you may or may not have noticed, the reigning MVP didn't mention any specific reasons for why he's currently in a spat with the team he's spent his entire career with.

According to one report, Rodgers is upset with Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst and won't play for the team this season unless Green Bay gets rid of him. One person who disagrees with the take is James Jones, who spent eight seasons with Rodgers in Green Bay.

Not only is the former Packers receiver considered a close friend of Rodgers, but he's also been kind of serving as the unofficial spokesman for the quarterback over the past few weeks. Jones is one of the few people who has been communicating with Rodgers, which is why it was so interesting to hear what Jones had to say about the drama during an interview with Colin Cowherd this week.

First and foremost, Jones says there are two main issues that Rodgers has with the Packers right now.

The first one?

"His No. 1 beef is a private conversation on the phone that I can't share with you," Jones said.

Jones didn't give any details about what was said on this mystery phone call, but it must have gone sideways pretty quickly. Although it's unknown who Rodgers was talking to, he's had at least two phone calls over the past two years that probably left him slightly upset.

The first one reportedly came in January 2019. According to Packers beat writer Tyler Dunne, team CEO Mark Murphy called Rodgers to let him know the Packers were going to hire Matt LaFleur and here's what happened on that call (via Dunne):

The source close to the team says Murphy called Rodgers to tell him who they were going with. He didn't ask for permission -- he told him who the choice was. There was a brief pause on the other end of the phone before Rodgers eventually spoke. Murphy made it clear that Rodgers would need to accept coaching. "Don't be the problem," he told him. "Don't be the problem."

The source close to the team says [Murphy] is "tired of the diva stuff" [from Rodgers].

Not only did the Packers hire a new coach without consulting Rodgers, but if this conversation happened, Murphy is calling his quarterback a problem without calling him a problem. If someone tells you, "Don't be a problem," that's definitely not a compliment. Also, Rodgers could be upset that details from this phone call leaked out. If he knows he didn't leak it, that would mean the leak came from Murphy's end and no one is going to be thrilled to learn that details of a private phone conversation got leaked to the media.

There was also a situation earlier this year where the Packers reportedly let Rodgers know that they were going to trade him this offseason before deciding not to pull the trigger on a deal.

View: https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1387863211861446656?s=21

Things got so serious that Rodgers actually thought he was going to be traded to the 49ers the day before the draft.

The Packers have said that it's "unequivocally false" that they made any sort of promise like that to Rodgers. Of course, if there was some sort of miscommunication here that happened during a phone call, it would be easy to see why Rodgers' "No. 1 beef" with the Packers is a "private conversation" on the phone.

As for the other reason why Rodgers is unhappy with the Packers, it wasn't really a surprise: Rodgers isn't thrilled that the team keeps cutting players that he likes.

"He's seen a lot of guys walk out of that building and play very good football," Jones said." He wants to make sure that a lot of guys like that (stick around) ... These dudes are big in the locker room, and I think that's what important to him."

Charles Woodson, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson are all notable players that the Packers have cut over the past few years that would have lasted longer in Green Bay if Rodgers had been making the decisions.

Back in May, it was reported that the release of Jake Kumerow, who was cut in September, was the "death knell" in Rodgers' relationship with the Packers. At the time, it seemed kind of ridiculous to think that the release of a fifth-string wideout could upset Rodgers like that, but when you hear Jones' explanation, it all makes sense. Kumerow getting cut was basically the straw that broke the camel's back. After seeing multiple friends get released, Rodgers finally snapped after Kumerow was let go in September 2020 (The move came just one day after Rodgers had publicly lauded Kumerow for his solid play).

The bottom line here is that it seems like Rodgers just wants to have some sort of say when it comes to personnel input, especially with guys he's built a relationship with.

One other thing Jones mentioned is that Gutekunst isn't the problem.

"I've talked to Aaron," Jones said. "I talk to him all the time. And he's told me that it's not about the [general manager]. It's not about new money. It's not about the GM. So when I hear everybody on here say, 'It's about getting the GM fired' and these things, it's not about that."

This is exactly what CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported in May. Gutekunst has only been the general manager since January 2018, so he wasn't involved in many of the decisions that Rodgers eventually became upset with.

As JLC noted in his May story, Rodgers has felt blindsided by many of the moves that the Packers front office has made, from drafting Jordan Love to hiring LaFleur without talking to him to promoting Russ Ball to director of football operations. One thing all three of those moves have in common is that Mark Murphy had to sign off on them. Murphy doesn't want Rodgers to be a problem, but in the same breath, he's regularly making decisions that undermine his quarterback.

If the current Packers front office stays intact, it won't be surprising if Rodgers responds by simply doing what he's already doing: Staying away from Green Bay.

In his only conversation about all the drama in Green Bay, Rodgers made it clear that he "loves" everyone in the organization, but he noticeably left out the front office and you can bet that wasn't a coincidence.

"With my situation, look, it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan [Love]," Rodgers said on May 25. "I love Jordan, he's a great kid. A lot of fun to work together. I love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fan base in Green Bay. It's been an incredible 16 years."

Despite all the drama, Jones still thinks the situation between Rodgers and the Packers is "fixable".

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez all my respect for Rodgers has evaporated. Sorry, dude your not the owner or part of the FO. Your a damn player so where in your contract does it say that nothing happens on the team without your approval? NO NFL TEAM OPERATES THAT WAY.

Also, his claim that released players still could play is BS. The Rams had Clay and his play was so poor he was gone at the end of the season. If the rest were like him then the FO did the right thing whether the Diva likes it or not. I say again GB should simply say enough is enough and trade him to a loser franchise in the AFC and that will force him to retire. Divas like him are a cancer in the locker room and GB needs to open their eyes and cut ties.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I say again GB should simply say enough is enough and trade him to a loser franchise in the AFC and that will force him to retire.
But what on earth would the NFL do if that happened? How would the league survive? Who would be the poster child for NFL football?

On the other hand, he could move into some team's front office and build a Superbowl Champion. It's easy, ain't it?

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
If it’s about ego, then it’s also about money.

His base is $25.5MM the next 2yrs, and that’s before any tweaks it takes to resolve this.

Romo broke the bank at $18MM per year as a broadcaster because he’s likeable. I doubt a network comes out offering Rodgers that kind of coin to start.

With Rodgers you’re right there probably is an ego angle always with him. But call me surprised if he retires.
you kidding. Networks paid Randy "I play when I want to Moss. You think Moss is likable?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'd like to announce a trade with the Iowa Barnstormers, Aaron Rodgers for Daquan Neal.
Aaron Rodgers responded, "I'm excited to play in a bigger town...."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Jordan Love was capable of playing anything remotely close to decent football, they'd have traded him already. If Rodgers refuses to play, how stupid they would be to not trade him. Sure he doesnt get his money, but the dumbass team also doesnt get the trade haul it would get if they do trade him. Value decreasing or not, theyll get draft picks, and valuable ones at that. Or they could take solace in the fact that they deprived the man worth in excess of 120 million dollars, a paycheck....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it's time to simply trade Rodgers and get what they can for him. Aaron has backed himself into a corner and basically will retire rather than return. So GB should simply get something for him and trade him out of the NFC, to someone like the Broncos. He would go to a team that is basically struggling to even be a wildcard team in a division with Mahomes, Carr, and Herbert. Why lose Rodgers and get nothing? I'm sure there are multiple teams that would make the trade.

In fact trade him to the Raiders for Carr who is IMO an unappreciated talent. They would get an immediate starter. The Raiders would then have a QB to challenge KC. GB needs to think outside the box and get creative.

This whole thing is about a DIVA GB FO and a DIVA QB. It's stupid. I think GB mishandled the whole thing from the start but I can understand that they can not allow a player to dictate how they run the team. But now that they are on the eve of TC it's time to cut bait and move on. It's too big of a distraction as is. It will fester all season if they force Rodgers into retirement.

GB is stupid for not simply cutting ties and getting what they can.
That's one of your best ideas, especially since Love is not looking like an NFL QB recently. Carr gives them an instant starter. I bet Mayock would give up Carr and a first for Rodgers. Plus then Aaron will realize he made a mistake when he's dealing with Chuckie in Oakland.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
So this makes more sense. Packers FO were ready to move Rodgers this year but then Love was not ready and Rodgers wins MVP. So now they would get killed by fan base for trading Rodgers. So Rogers of course wants out of an organization that does not really want him.

GB front office is a bunch of arrogant feckless jerks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rodgers to Denver for 3 Number 1"s & Bradley Chubb. Throw in an autograph picture of John Elway for good measure. I understand he's 38, but 38 is the new 32.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Packers' Aaron Rodgers says he'll decide on plans for 2021 NFL season in 'a couple weeks'​

Days after refusing to commit to a return to the Packers this season, Aaron Rodgers was asked yet again Saturday about his immediate NFL future. And yet again, the reigning MVP declined to say whether he intends to play in Green Bay, if at all. In between rounds at the American Century Championship golf outing in Nevada, Rodgers told NBC Sports he plans to decide on his 2021 plans in "a couple weeks," right around the time the Packers are set to report to training camp.

"Well, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this week," Rodgers said when asked of his plans for the season. "And then I'm gonna get back to working out and figure things out in a couple weeks."

In other words, don't expect to gain clarity on the quarterback's standing in Green Bay until later this month at the earliest. Since losing a second straight NFC Championship Game in January, Rodgers has hinted that his Packers future is unclear and grown increasingly vague about his role with the team, despite the fact he's under contract through 2023.

Amid various reports of his displeasure with the front office, as well as an apparent desire to be traded elsewhere, Rodgers has refused to publicly deny suggestions he wants out, pointing to a "philosophical" difference with Packers brass, skipping the team's mandatory minicamp and then -- just this past week -- saying he's unsure who the Packers QB will be this season.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora previously reported that Rodgers is content sitting out until late summer and watching the Packers "squirm" as he decides on his future. The QB has reportedly pondered retirement as a means of forcing a trade. According to La Canfora, Rodgers is probably a long shot to report to the first day of camp as well.

"Rodgers has told those he trusts that he is done with the Packers, won't play for them again, has no intention of showing up for any of their football activities -- voluntary or mandatory," La Canfora wrote in June. "Could that change by, say, August? Perhaps. Rodgers himself won't know exactly what he is feeling about sitting out training camp until he actually does it."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder if the knob jobs at espn will ask the whiney bitch to do a one hour show for them called "the decision".

haha, what an arse clown.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't know what these idiots are waiting for. Trade him to Denver while he has value. Coming off an MVP season and could garner some capital.

Of course this is a selfish desire, since Rodgers out of the conference increases Rams Chances.

As far as broadcasting. I don't see it. Rodgers dam near whispers when he talks and doesn't seem like he puts much effort in talking to begin with.

Hell of a QB but get too butt hurt. Makes too much about himself vs you know, the team and fans. Pretty sad really.