The Aaron Rodgers Saga

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even the Greats like John Holmes have had off days :)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rodgers is one of the great QBs to play the game. Where you rank him is subjective.

It's not really a debate that he's one of the best QBs to play the game, and like the Jeopardy hosting renaissance man that he is, he is also a first ballot HOF douchenozzle.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Rodgers is one of the great QBs to play the game.
Absolutely. Like you say, "a first ballot HOFer" without a doubt. He'll join other greats with 1 or 0 titles to their credit. Which should make that title more special.

Brees.
Marino
Kelly
Warner
Mahomes maybe?

Most seem to enjoy the memory. Others seem to feel they were entitled to more. Definately many excuses are made in their name by the 'experts'.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Absolutely. Like you say, "a first ballot HOFer" without a doubt. He'll join other greats with 1 or 0 titles to their credit. Which should make that title more special.

Brees.
Marino
Kelly
Warner
Mahomes maybe?

Most seem to enjoy the memory. Others seem to feel they were entitled to more. Definately many excuses are made in their name by the 'experts'.

You don't have to convince me of anything. My opinion of AR doesn't differ too much from your own.
Aaron Rodgers being overrated isn't a hill I want to die on and I don't have as strong of an opinion as you might - but overall I tend to agree with you, in a more general kind of way.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that Rodgers transcendent talent has been wasted by bad Packers teams and unfortunate circumstances.
He's been extremely fortunate imo.
Sliding in the draft down to the Packers and riding the bench for 4 years before taking over - for a QB with undisputed 1st pick overall caliber talent to avoid being drafted by a shitty team but instead get picked by one of the games most popular and consistently competitive franchises. Then to have not one, not two or three but four fucking years in the same system to learn the game, build his body, perfect his craft and fully mature into adulthood without the weight of the franchise on his shoulders.

What if that had been Matt Stafford in those same circumstances and Rodgers started as a rookie in Detroit? It's impossible to know but I have a hunch that Stafford would have enjoyed similar success and superfluos hype while Rodgers would have struggled to make the playoffs in Detroit. His talent would still have shined in Motown, but he wouldn't be on top of a bunch of best QB ever lists. I get the feeling that his personality wouldn't have been suited for the long and difficult process of trying to turn around a bad team, but who knows..

Overall I think he's a super talented diva with a shitty attitude who owes a lot of his success to the extremely rare and beneficial set of circumstances that he found himself in to begin his career. He's obviously phenomenal - no buts - and I don't blame him for GBs playoff losses. I just think he's slightly over-rated and I am tired of his face.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rogers is considered an elite quarterback. The argument over who is the best right now is subjective. Brady and Mahomes would be the others in that argument. Is Rogers overrated? Well, I wouldn't say so.

People use the lone Superbowl win as to make their overrated case. He only won one. But who else besides Brady has more than one? Its probably safe to say the Packers aren't even a .500 team without Rogers. A 13 win team with him. A guy who makes that much difference isn't overrated in my opinion.

If you want to call him a diva. Arrogant. Cocky. You won't get an argument from me on that. What he's doing now is looking very petty. Someone in the front office hurt his feelings and now he wants to bail on his teammates because of that. He's a lot of good things but that part makes me think a little less of him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
People use the lone Superbowl win as to make their overrated case. He only won one. But who else besides Brady has more than one?
It's not that he's only won one. It's that he's only been to one. So has Brees. But you never hear "the Saints don't do enough for Drew" or "Drew has a lousy defense that loses games." It's the excuses for Rodgers which, to me, suggest many believe he should have returned to at least one but it's not him, it's always something else. Has to be.

Mahomes has gone to two straight. The last one with a bum wheel and an injured O line.

Rodgers is a great QB, that's never been in question. It's his arrogance which becomes enhanced when excuses are made for him. It would be nice to hear him own it just once...."I could have played better"....but he allows that narrative to thrive. It's accepted fact that he's always had good games in the postseason. It's accepted fact no defense has confused him, made him hold it too long, throw to the wrong guy, made things difficult for him to the point the Packers lost the game. Because he's Aaron Rodgers and if everyone around him plays well, he wins.

As far as "Green Bay is a .500 team without him", I think that would be totally dependent on who is under center for them. Would they be a .500 team with Brees? Mahomes? Rivers? Roethlisberger? Stafford? Josh Allen? Ryan? I know it sounds like I've got something to grind but I enjoy watching him play. I really do. He's terrific. But he hasn't been terrific every game in the postseason, whether that's the total game, a poor start or a poor finish. Last year on the drive LaFleur decided to kick a non-factor FG with 2 minutes left, he finished by trying to force the ball to Davante Adams three times. So it was dumb coaching that cost GB the game, because almost certainly, without a doubt, Rodgers would have got into the end zone on that drive. Just like he has in every other CCG he's won.

As for the guys (besides Brady) with more than 1 win (since 2000), Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. But there are five guys who've been to more than 1.....those 3, Warner and Wilson. Where will Rodgers play in 2021? It's said, he's done in Green Bay. But is he really? He's a me-me guy and there's not another destination that gives him a better chance to get to another Superbowl. I'd be surprised if he didn't stay, as long as he finds a way to save face.

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
It's not that he's only won one. It's that he's only been to one. So has Brees. But you never hear "the Saints don't do enough for Drew" or "Drew has a lousy defense that loses games." It's the excuses for Rodgers which, to me, suggest many believe he should have returned to at least one but it's not him, it's always something else. Has to be.

Mahomes has gone to two straight. The last one with a bum wheel and an injured O line.

Rodgers is a great QB, that's never been in question. It's his arrogance which becomes enhanced when excuses are made for him. It would be nice to hear him own it just once...."I could have played better"....but he allows that narrative to thrive. It's accepted fact that he's always had good games in the postseason. It's accepted fact no defense has confused him, made him hold it too long, throw to the wrong guy, made things difficult for him to the point the Packers lost the game. Because he's Aaron Rodgers and if everyone around him plays well, he wins.

As far as "Green Bay is a .500 team without him", I think that would be totally dependent on who is under center for them. Would they be a .500 team with Brees? Mahomes? Rivers? Roethlisberger? Stafford? Josh Allen? Ryan? I know it sounds like I've got something to grind but I enjoy watching him play. I really do. He's terrific. But he hasn't been terrific every game in the postseason, whether that's the total game, a poor start or a poor finish. Last year on the drive LaFleur decided to kick a non-factor FG with 2 minutes left, he finished by trying to force the ball to Davante Adams three times. So it was dumb coaching that cost GB the game, because almost certainly, without a doubt, Rodgers would have got into the end zone on that drive. Just like he has in every other CCG he's won.

As for the guys (besides Brady) with more than 1 win (since 2000), Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. But there are five guys who've been to more than 1.....those 3, Warner and Wilson. Where will Rodgers play in 2021? It's said, he's done in Green Bay. But is he really? He's a me-me guy and there's not another destination that gives him a better chance to get to another Superbowl. I'd be surprised if he didn't stay, as long as he finds a way to save face.
Who makes these excuses? Not Rodgers and not his team mates. It the media. I watch the draft every year and with one hour of the Love pick journalists were speculating how this would piss Rodgers off. Well if it did why did he not hold out last year? Why did he take Love under his wing? Pure utter speculation.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Who makes these excuses? Not Rodgers and not his team mates. It the media. I watch the draft every year and with one hour of the Love pick journalists were speculating how this would piss Rodgers off.
What does irreparable differences mean?
What does 'never going to play for the Packers anymore' mean?
What does 'wants a new contract' mean?

Those comments are made to the media by his ex-team mates, who claim to be close to AR and other people who know him.

In fact, one said...."the fact AR hasn't come out and denied these reports, to me, means it's real".

And btw, you 'know' he took Love under his wing? Or was that reported in the media too?

I watch the draft too and it wasn't 1 hour. It was immediately after the pick was announced. And look what's happening now. Apparently, they were right.

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What does irreparable differences mean?
What does 'never going to play for the Packers anymore' mean?
What does 'wants a new contract' mean?

Those comments are made to the media by his ex-team mates, who claim to be close to AR and other people who know him.

In fact, one said...."the fact AR hasn't come out and denied these reports, to me, means it's real".

And btw, you 'know' he took Love under his wing? Or was that reported in the media too?

I watch the draft too and it wasn't 1 hour. It was immediately after the pick was announced. And look what's happening now. Apparently, they were right.
I guess i missed the quotes you cited coming out of rodgers mouth. For one the packers ceo has said rodgers has not asked for a new contract. nd that is a quote.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Aaron Rodgers could lose out on more than $35 million if he refuses to play for the Packers in 2021​

If Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to play for the Packers this year, he doesn't have to, but if he does decide to sit out, it's going to be an expensive decision that could cost him more than $35 million.

Rodgers has insisted that he's not going to play for the Packers this year and the Packers have insisted they're not going to trade him, which has created an impasse. The ongoing standoff between the two sides has already cost the quarterback $500,000 and that number could get bumped up to nearly $600,000 by the end of the week.

The reigning NFL MVP was a no-show for the first day of minicamp on Tuesday and since it's a mandatory practice, the Packers are allowed to fine him for missing it. If Rodgers skips all three days of minicamp, he'll get fined a total of $93,085. (The Packers could let him out of the fine by labeling his no-show as an excused absence.)

If he does get fined, that amount would be on top of the $500,000 that Rodgers lost out on when he didn't show up for the team's offseason training activities. The quarterback had a $500,000 bonus in his contract that he would have earned if he showed up for a certain percentage of OTAs, but he didn't earn the bonus because he skipped every single practice.

The next event on the NFL calendar is training camp and things could get really expensive for Rodgers if he decides to skip that. Under the collective bargaining agreement, players can be fined $50,000 per day for not showing up to training camp. The Packers generally go to camp for about 35 days (they had 34 during their last normal training camp in 2019) and if he skipped every single one of those practices, that would cost him $1.75 million.

If things got so bad that Rodgers decided to sit out the entire season, it would get even more costly for the quarterback. Not only would he miss out on his $14.7 million base salary, but he'd also forfeit his $6.8 million roster bonus that was paid in March. The quarterback also would have $11.5 million in signing bonus money that the Packers could go after, and if he lost that, that would bring that total to $33 million for those three things alone.

If you combine the $33 million with the $1.75 million in training camp fines plus the unearned $500,000 OTA bonus plus the $93,085 in minicamp fines, that's $35,343,085 that Rodgers would lose out on.

If the Packers are going to play hard ball and refuse to trade their star quarterback, Rodgers is going to have to decide it sitting out the season is worth $35 million. Of course, Rodgers has made more than $240 million in his career -- not including endorsements -- so if he truly doesn't want to play for the Packers ever again, he's likely not going to let money factor into his decision.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think Denver would be a good destination. They have a nice roster.
Who makes these excuses? Not Rodgers and not his team mates. It the media. I watch the draft every year and with one hour of the Love pick journalists were speculating how this would piss Rodgers off. Well if it did why did he not hold out last year? Why did he take Love under his wing? Pure utter speculation.
Rodgers does. When guys like Whether report it I believe it, just like when he reported that Rodgers told the Packers that he doesn't want to play for them.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense to anyone on this thread…who gives a rip what’s going on with the Packers. Their disarray is good news for the Rams. Rodgers isn’t getting trade to a division foe, f*** him, the Packers and Brett Freaking Favre if he said anything negative about the Rams too.

*I’m tired and shouldn’t be posting…my apologies for real.***

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense to anyone on this thread…who gives a rip what’s going on with the Packers. Their disarray is good news for the Rams. Rodgers isn’t getting trade to a division foe, f*** him, the Packers and Brett Freaking Favre if he said anything negative about the Rams too.

giphy.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Its worse for the Packers and better for the Rams if they trade him to the AFC, that's why I support Rodgers. Give him what he wants! Lol

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Its worse for the Packers and better for the Rams if they trade him to the AFC, that's why I support Rodgers. Give him what he wants! Lol
As long as it isn't SF, Seattle, NO or anywhere else in the NFC. Don't want an AR team taking us out of the playoffs again, whether it's GB or anyone else.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think it's time to simply trade Rodgers and get what they can for him. Aaron has backed himself into a corner and basically will retire rather than return. So GB should simply get something for him and trade him out of the NFC, to someone like the Broncos. He would go to a team that is basically struggling to even be a wildcard team in a division with Mahomes, Carr, and Herbert. Why lose Rodgers and get nothing? I'm sure there are multiple teams that would make the trade.

In fact trade him to the Raiders for Carr who is IMO an unappreciated talent. They would get an immediate starter. The Raiders would then have a QB to challenge KC. GB needs to think outside the box and get creative.

This whole thing is about a DIVA GB FO and a DIVA QB. It's stupid. I think GB mishandled the whole thing from the start but I can understand that they can not allow a player to dictate how they run the team. But now that they are on the eve of TC it's time to cut bait and move on. It's too big of a distraction as is. It will fester all season if they force Rodgers into retirement.

GB is stupid for not simply cutting ties and getting what they can.