Aaron Donald Impressing Coaches During OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Aaron Donald Impressing Coaches During OTAs
By Jonathan Webb

For Aaron Donald, there was no question that his first weeks in St. Louis would be a significant transition. Known as the most dominant defensive tackle in the NCAA, Donald acknowledged the adjustment to his position group in the NFL has been drastic.

“It’s like being a freshman all over again,” Donald said. “You’re the young guy in the room, and you’re just trying to catch up with the playbook. There’s just a lot more you need to know here. I’m just trying to be a student of the game, learn the game, learn what the guy next to me is doing.”

Donald has often sought out the guidance of fellow defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford in his quest to speed his learning curve. For Brockers and Langford, Donald’s struggle to conquer an NFL playbook for the first time is a familiar one.

“It’s good to be able to have guys next to me who have done this for years,” Donald said. “That’s exactly what they told me. There’s a lot more to learn, a lot more plays, a lot more things that you need to know than there are in college.”

At 6’1” and 285 pounds, Donald represents a distinctly differing style from both Brockers and Langford. Built for quickness more than sheer brawn, Donald amassed 28.5 tackles for loss during his final season at Pittsburgh, leading all of college football. While he admittedly has much yet to learn, his talent has shone through to those around him over the past two weeks.

For at least one Rams coach, Donald certainly seems to be catching on fast enough. That would be offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who has already seen Donald leave an impression with his disruptive style of play in 11 on 11 drills during OTAs.

“Aaron Donald has my vote for rookie of the year already,” Schottenheimer said.

Donald, of course, is concerned with creating similar headaches for the rest of the offensive coordinators in the NFC West.

Picked 13th overall in May, Donald entered the draft widely considered the second-best defensive line option behind first overall pick Jadeveon Clowney, as well as the top option at defensive tackle. In his first meeting with the St. Louis media following his draft selection, Donald spoke highly of defensive line coach Mike Waufle, whom he has worked diligently with over the past two weeks.

Replicating the pace he created at Pittsburgh during the early going may be a stretch for Donald, who joins a defensive line that, along with Brockers and defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn, now boasts four first-round selections. However, that’s just fine for Donald, who has had the luxury of not being rushed into an expanded role. For now, becoming an emerging talent at a position group that is a known quantity throughout the league will suffice.

“I’ve learned from some other guys, learning from (Coach Waufle), I’m just trying to improve myself and my role. Just being able to add some depth to this line, I just want to be a piece of the puzzle.”

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I keep finding myself getting more and more excited by our D and their possibility, to the point that I want the season to start tomorrow - September can't come fast enough!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
His technique is insane for a rookie. He's like at the same level a Brockers type of guy is currently. He should be an instant impact player, maybe not be an All-Pro or anything, but he should be a solid player and great pass rusher starting Week 4-5 once he adjusts, maybe even earlier.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep finding myself getting more and more excited by our D and their possibility, to the point that I want the season to start tomorrow - September can't come fast enough!
Agree 100%..Just reading the title of this article put a grin on my face. This D line has the potential to be all time great.

jdhommert

Rookie
Schotty needs to calm down on the hype a little bit.

The line hasn't even put pads on yet and he's the rookie of the year already? I'm not knocking Donald what so ever but I just am trying to keep expectations realistic here and all. I got tired of riding the preseason hype machine thinking we were going to be 13-3 every year :ROFLMAO:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schotty needs to calm down on the hype a little bit.

The line hasn't even put pads on yet and he's the rookie of the year already? I'm not knocking Donald what so ever but I just am trying to keep expectations realistic here and all. I got tired of riding the preseason hype machine thinking we were going to be 13-3 every year :ROFLMAO:
I hear ya but I dont think this was meant to be taken literally. Schotty is just stating how much he is impressed with Aarond Donald thus far. I wouldnt read too much into this, if Donald doesnt win no one will remember what his O coordinator said about him in june.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
His technique is insane for a rookie. He's like at the same level a Brockers type of guy is currently. He should be an instant impact player, maybe not be an All-Pro or anything, but he should be a solid player and great pass rusher starting Week 4-5 once he adjusts, maybe even earlier.

I think your expectations are a bit modest for him but I sure can't argue with anything you said. If he gets the playing time, DROY is quite possible in my warped mind. Lot's of people seem concerned about his size but in his case, I believe he uses it to his advantage. Low and quick, leverage and the strength of a large powerful man. And the speed. Like it or not, speed is certainly the difference in todays game. The days of the slowfooted lumbering giants on the field are over with. Anyway, look for him in the weekly opponent's backfied, coming this fall. A show you won't want to miss.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
He's such an interesting contrast in a physical sense from Brockers. It's almost like a thunder and lightening RB combo at DT. I know usually there's a contrast between a nose and a 3 tech in a 4-3, but it just seems so stark with these cats. Going to be very difficult for the opposing interior offensive linemen to get a rhythm going when they have to alternate against both of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's such an interesting contrast in a physical sense from Brockers. It's almost like a thunder and lightening RB combo at DT. I know usually there's a contrast between a nose and a 3 tech in a 4-3, but it just seems so stark with these cats. Going to be very difficult for the opposing interior offensive linemen to get a rhythm going when they have to alternate against both of them.
Very good point. Like Farr and Agnew.
I can't freaking wait until preseason just so I can get a glimpse into how offensive lines plan to account for all 4 of these dudes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't freaking wait until preseason just so I can get a glimpse into how offensive lines plan to account for all 4 of these dudes.
The other part, in preseason, these guys will get after the QB in a vanilla approach...I need to temper my expectations, but Lord..In the right mix of events, the Rams could win the Division...This is a breakout year, imo.
(I would get killed in RamStalk for saying this!:ROFLMAO:)

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm no football coach, but how much can we really know about the potential impact of a rookie when all the practices are in t-shirts & shorts? I mean, I love this draft pick, but can we really know at this early stage?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The other part, in preseason, these guys will get after the QB in a vanilla approach...I need to temper my expectations, but Lord..In the right mix of events, the Rams could win the Division...This is a breakout year, imo.
(I would get killed in RamStalk for saying this!:ROFLMAO:)
Did you want a taste of what you're missing? How about this?

<ahem>

"Blah blah blah. Show me one good season Williams has had and I'll buy into this BS about him being a difference maker. Snisher drafts one DT in the first round, and all of a sudden we're Super Bowl bound. Please, moms. Open your eyes. This defense is always middle of the road, because Fisher is a middle of the road coach. And the defensive backfield is still garbage. Outside of Quinn, we have nothing. Long, nothing special. Brockers, bust. Donald, unproven. Laurinaitis, bust. rookies all over the place, and Jenkins who can't cover a bed - let alone a good receiver. And even if they were to be better (doubt it), we still have Sammy the cripple who has the lowest YPA of any QB in NFL history, and probably every QB in college and high school too. Even if the defense holds teams to 7 points, we'd still have to score 8 to win, and that's not happening on Sammy boy's watch. They'll win 7 games again maybe. And 7 after that. Then we can get a real NFL coach and a real NFL QB."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

<ahem>

"Blah blah blah. Show me one good season Williams has had and I'll buy into this BS about him being a difference maker. Snisher drafts one DT in the first round, and all of a sudden we're Super Bowl bound. Please, moms. Open your eyes. This defense is always middle of the road, because Fisher is a middle of the road coach. And the defensive backfield is still garbage. Outside of Quinn, we have nothing. Long, nothing special. Brockers, bust. Donald, unproven. Laurinaitis, bust. rookies all over the place, and Jenkins who can't cover a bed - let alone a good receiver. And even if they were to be better (doubt it), we still have Sammy the cripple who has the lowest YPA of any QB in NFL history, and probably every QB in college and high school too. Even if the defense holds teams to 7 points, we'd still have to score 8 to win, and that's not happening on Sammy boy's watch. They'll win 7 games again maybe. And 7 after that. Then we can get a real NFL coach and a real NFL QB."

lol..You nailed it..Now, so when will Mojo get the most likes around here?

Slappy967

Starter
I cannot wait to see the Hounds of Justice unleashed on Russell Wilson, Kaepernick and old man Palmer this year. Donald is coming and the hell that is the Rams defense is coming with him!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

LOL they can't. You can't block them all with just 5 guys. At any point regardless of down and distance there will be 2, and sometimes 3 guys on the line that should be doubled at the line.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

<ahem>

Needs more derp de derp.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
but, the Dude abides?
Of course.

Plus, when I do expire, it triggers a founder's 'like bomb' on my account at which time I get 50,000,000 likes automatically.
So ... he's never going to surpass me.

NEVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Needs more derp de derp.
His are easier.

"lmao.. sure think cheif, and all teh dee deed deez say derp.
crazya.gif
crazya.gif
crazya.gif
crazya.gif
"