Aaron Donald Among Top 5 NFL Run Stuffers/Brooks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ndamukong Suh, Marcell Dareus headline NFL's top run stuffers

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: July 15, 2015 at 02:09 p.m.
Updated: July 15, 2015 at 02:56 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...marcell-dareus-headline-nfls-top-run-stuffers

The pass-happy nature of the NFL has led observers to focus extensively on pass rushers and their sack totals, but championship defenses excel at stopping the run behind the play of a disruptive force on the interior. These defenders often toil in anonymity on game day, but defensive coaches covet the presence of a monster in the middle. While most run stuffers are positioned at the nose tackle spot in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme, the NFL has seen an influx of 3-technique defensive tackles who blow up opposing ground games.

As the 2015 NFL season approaches, Bucky Brooks is poring over film to determine the best of the best in the NFL. Click on each group below for full analysis and rankings.

After poring over oodles of All-22 Coaches Film, here is my list of the most destructive run stuffers in the league today:

5) Brandon Williams, NT, Baltimore Ravens

It's uncommon for nose tackles to garner widespread recognition for their efforts on the front line, but Williams has created a buzz in league circles as an emerging force at the point of attack. The 6-foot-1, 335-pounder wreaks havoc with his rugged playing style and explosive power. Williams excels at occupying multiple blockers in the middle, allowing linebackers C.J. Mosley and Daryl Smith to flow freely to the ball. Most importantly, Williams is the centerpiece of an ultra-aggressive D-line that only surrendered 3.6 rushing yards per attempt in 2014, a figure that ranked third among NFL defenses.

4) Damon Harrison, NT, New York Jets

It's easy to overlook Harrison on a defensive front that features a pair of spectacular talents in Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson -- not to mention Leonard Williams, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft -- but coaches around the NFL can't stop raving about the fourth-year pro as one of the league's premier run stuffers. Checking in at 6-4, 350 pounds with exceptional strength, power and hand skills, Harrison is the centerpiece to the Jets' dominant defensive line. He is immovable off the point, yet flashes the agility and athleticism to run-and-chase within the box. Although he doesn't ring up impressive numbers or stand out as a pass rusher, it's possible that Harrison is the most important piece to the Jets' defensive puzzle. Pretty crazy to think he went undrafted in 2012.

3) Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams

The 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year commanded a lot of attention due to his pass-rushing prowess, but it's his disruptive presence against the run that earns him high marks in coaching circles. Donald destroyed opponents at the point of attack in Year 1, exhibiting exceptional first-step quickness and acceleration. He routinely slipped through cracks on pre-planned angle rushes, but also flashed the strength and power to hold the point against single- or double-teams. With Donald also displaying outstanding hand quickness and combat skills, the young defender has already emerged as a foundational piece for the Rams.

2) Marcell Dareus, NT, Buffalo Bills

The rise of the Bills' defense can be directly attributed to Dareus' emergence as one of the most dominant interior defenders in the NFL. The 6-3, 331-pounder has grown into an explosive pass rusher with a spectacular array of power-rush moves, but he's also an astounding presence against the run, thanks to his relentless spirit and mastery of leverage. Dareus completely manhandles offensive linemen at the line of scrimmage with superb hand-to-hand combat skills, displaying an explosive "butt-and-jerk" maneuver and a powerful arm-over move that allows him to shed and disengage quickly at the point. Most impressively, the former No. 3 overall pick shows outstanding balance, body control and agility while chasing runners down from the back side. Given Dareus' spectacular flashes on tape and substantial statistical output, the Buffalo star deserves this lofty standing on a list of interior defensive playmakers.

1) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Miami Dolphins

Whenever a team is willing to lavish a $100 million contract on a defender, it says a lot about his ability to impact the game as a disruptive force at the line of scrimmage. Thus, it is no surprise Suh commanded quarterback money on the open market. After all, this is a guy who absolutely terrorizes opponents with versatile skills as a pass rusher/run stuffer. The four-time Pro Bowler obliterates blockers with his brute strength and power, but also wins with first-step quickness and agility. Thus, he is nearly impossible to block when he brings his A-game. Suh not only produces explosive plays on his own accord, but his mere presence requires double-teaming, which frees up others to make plays in the backfield. Consequently, he raises the play of the entire defense -- that's the kind of impact coaches expect from a true franchise player. With a supporting cast in Miami that features a couple of studs on the edges (Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon), the Dolphins' designated playmaker could cement his status as a transcendent superstar of his era.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald needs to be a Rams for his whole career...Having a player that is this good, needs to become a part of the Rams illustrious history of defensive linmen.....I think he is destined for the Hall o Fame....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Suh is good... Anyone else think he's a little overrated though?

NO WAY I sign him to the contract Miami did.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think Suh is good... Anyone else think he's a little overrated though?

NO WAY I sign him to the contract Miami did.

I think he is overrated. One of the best no doubt about it, but many act like he is head and shoulders better than the rest, which is obviously not true. He is in the elite tier of DT'S with Donald, Dareaus and McCoy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
yet he came in at #92 :rolleyes:

Yea, complete BS that Suh is #24, McCoy #28 and Darius #58, yet Donald who had an overall better season then all of them is ranked #92? total bs and stupidity.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Oops, wrong thread. But Donald's the man. It's fun watching him blow right by the LOS.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Yea, complete BS that Suh is #24, McCoy #28 and Darius #58, yet Donald who had an overall better season then all of them is ranked #92? total bs and stupidity.
the fact that both those ranking came from the same NFL Network is even more ridiculous just goes to show AGAIN what a giant fucking joke they are over there. no better than BSPN. its like I'm just reading bleacher report and ramblin fan articles from half drunk/stoned college kids.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
the fact that both those ranking came from the same NFL Network is even more ridiculous just goes to show AGAIN what a giant freaking joke they are over there. no better than BSPN. its like I'm just reading bleacher report and ramblin fan articles from half drunk/stoned college kids.

Hey now, at least Matt Miller ranked Donald as the #1 DT from 2014!!!! Though I do admit, B/R is 10x more of a joke than Bspn and NFLN., though thats not a compliment. They all suck to a big degree. It's like they hire people out of a hat, all of them.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Stands to reason that vets would get more respect among players than rooks.

Donald will benefit from this too-in a few years he'll be the vet consistently high on the list/going to the Pro Bowl even if the new kid on the block outplays him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is nice to have the Rams have some elite talent once again. SJ was th last. Now with Quinn and Donald people are starting to take notice. It takes top players to become a top team. Both Quinn and Donald were BPA picks. Ditto for Gurley. I hope Snead continues this drafting strategy now that the roster is filled out, at least continue in the first round anyway.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Side note, Brooks 5 listed DTs are the same as the top 5 ranked run stuffers in PFF, although the order is changed ever so slightly. He jumped Donald from #5 to #3 and reversed Dareus and Suh at the top. Way too similar to be a coincidence, imho. Lazy journalism? I mean, really, who just reaches into their NFL knowledge hat and pulls out Damon Harrison and Brandon Williams?

The Broncos and Seahawks had the the #2 and #3 ranked run Ds by YPG (resp), #4 and #2 in YPC. For Denver, maybe Terrance Knighton should be on the list? One might also suggest that Brandon Mebane or Kevin Williams could also be on this list, but I don't really think the Seattle run D success is because of these guys, I think that's more a Bobby Wagner thing (which still burns me because of the Isiah Pead draft pick).

For Dareus, Buffalo has the 11th ranked run D by YPG, 12th in YPC. For Donald, Rams are 14th in YPG, 15th in YPC, but they would be 6th in YPG if you just looked at the games that Donald started.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I mean, really, who just reaches into their NFL knowledge hat and pulls out Damon Harrison and Brandon Williams?

I had no idea PFF ranked them as such, but I knew those two as some of the best. I'd honestly have Harrison at #1.