A sweeping indictment of Fisher's O fubar...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The scheme under Fisher was bad, but in my opinion the depleted talent was the reason the offense was so bad under Fisher. The line play was bad, the receivers were bad, the running game was good/great, and outside of Bradford the QB play was bad. How much of that was poor scheming vs bad talent? We'll find out this year, but I don't think just changing the coaching will be the magical fairy dust everybody is hoping for. It will help and an average offense with a solid defense will go a long way, but I still don't think this is anywhere near a good offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The scheme under Fisher was bad, but in my opinion the depleted talent was the reason the offense was so bad under Fisher. The line play was bad, the receivers were bad, the running game was good/great, and outside of Bradford the QB play was bad. How much of that was poor scheming vs bad talent? We'll find out this year, but I don't think just changing the coaching will be the magical fairy dust everybody is hoping for. It will help and an average offense with a solid defense will go a long way, but I still don't think this is anywhere near a good offense.

I dunno, FRO.

The last O's under Fisher were historically bad, for whatever reasons. That can't be sugarcoated, man.

Change at HC, any change, has got to be an improvement.

And the asst coaches McVay has hired aren't just any old coaches. They're pretty damned impressive hires, if you ask me.

BTW, I disagree that depleted talent was the cause of Fisher's O woes. The cause of Fisher's woes on O was Fisher, himself.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I give Fisher credit for improving the Rams roster talent and depth from what he inherited, and managing the move from St. Louis to LA. But then he hit the wall and couldn't improve the team any further.

I hope he's catching a big fat cutthroat right now.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Fisher's best O was when he had 2 elite players, George and McNair. Everything ran through them.
If Gurley had run for 2k last season and Goff O rookie of the year Fisher would still be the coach.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
A six month old column that told me nothing that I didn't already know other than the author's opinion that Fisher would be back in '17.

Posts like this are a curiosity to me.

More recycled dirt on the grave of the Fisher regime will result in what, exactly?

It's a beautiful day in May, I have the grass to mow and then off to the golf course. And then, there will be Stanley Cup playoff hockey to watch later.

Life is good!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Some have said, you can't overcome poor coaching. We'll see if that was true. I truly believe Fisher just didn't care about results anymore...he was taking care of friends and their families with jobs that they didn't deserve. At the expense of the team and the players...

JRobinson

MiLB
There is no doubt that Fisher and co put together a really nice defense. Also, to see how the OL fared in 15 was impressive to me. The way they played just goes to show that there is indeed talent within this young group but the wheels fell off in 16 as everyone knows. Fishers unfortunate incompetence in emphasizing the offense is what obviously led to his demise. I liked the Fisher hire, and I felt confident in this ability. But when things change, so must you evolve. That didn't happen. Here's to a better 2017.

Ram65

Legend
Bad scheme, poor draft choices and Bradford injuries were the big factors in the Rams offensive failings. Had Bradford stayed healthy the Rams had a chance to be an average offense or a little better. Replacing Bradford with Foles was a giant step backward. All that draft capital for the most part wasted on offense but successful on defense. I'm long over the Fisher bashing. Fisher didn't leave the cupboards bare for McVay. McVay should have more success with the Whitford signing then Fisher did with Jake Long. Fisher leaving with good defensive talent on the roster has allowed McVay and to spend a little more on the offensive side with free agency money and draft capital.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But do you still need to own that 6 months later?

I haven't thought about Jeff Fisher since......I don't know

I think the depth of Fisher's O incompetence is worthy of interest, Ramlock. It was historic. Literally.

This piece put it all into better context than any I have yet seen.

Why, the topic of his back to back to back OC hires of Schotty, Cignetti, and Boras, alone, is worthy of a chapter or two in a book.

Mind boggling.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Big question is, and well be, Why, when the O-Line play was good and the Run game was good in 2015 did it go south in 2016!!?
I tend to put that on Coaching! I may be wrong, IDK. But Fisher seemed overly protective of his Key players in Training camp! It show in "Hard-Knocks"!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
But do you still need to own that 6 months later?

I haven't thought about Jeff Fisher since......I don't know

Comparing past and present regimes will be part of our conversations for at least 2017 season and I think even longer.

The best thing might be to ignore the Fisher posts or completely do as you say and enjoy your hammock while those of us engage in such trifle talk

I mean,
Hopes are high that McVay and Co will get the best out of our talent and we will start playing respectable football again. Tough, smart, comprehensive, competitive freakin' football.

You can bet Jeff Fisher will be a serious topic of discussion for this upcoming season. And if McVay starts his career winning games, many of us will have confirmation that Fisher could not develop the talent we had outside of the secondary. Which as you say is already well established,

But just consider what will happen if McVay loses -- it will be 10x worse.

I mean, Fisher apologists will have a say, and McVay defenders will appeal to his youth and inexperience compared to Fisher and give the guy a break. And a hundred variations there of

I don't see how you can get around Fisher talk for another 15 months.

And until that time I don't see how Jeff Fisher's legacy isn't avalid topic on this or any Ram discussion boards

Nor do I see how discussing past Ram's regimes in anyway shape or form interferes with how one enjoys the weekend. For many of us this topic brings us enjoyment. Anyway

GO RAMS!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You're right. We'll have the answer in the next 24 months or so....but i strongly disagree that somehow the Rams just couldn't draft and develop offensive talent, yet they were able to do so quite successfully on defense and special teams.

jap

Legend
I disagree with at least one part of the article---Stedman was no bust. It' not his fault if he was burdened with inaccurate QB's who couldn't hit a barn wall with a basketball. Sted was simply unfulfilled potential due to mostly inadequate QBs.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was really high on Fisher when he first arrived but when he brought in deadbeats like Quinn Ojinnaka and an injured Scott Wells and didn't use any premium picks on the O-line and chose Brian Quick over Cordy Glenn?

I started getting a genuine sinking feeling.

And it really sucks that I was right.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I disagree with at least one part of the article---Stedman was no bust. It' not his fault if he was burdened with inaccurate QB's who couldn't hit a barn wall with a basketball. Sted was simply unfulfilled potential due to mostly inadequate QBs.
And the same thing can be said about every skill position player we drafted on Offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My Big question is, and well be, Why, when the O-Line play was good and the Run game was good in 2015 did it go south in 2016!!?
I tend to put that on Coaching! I may be wrong, IDK. But Fisher seemed overly protective of his Key players in Training camp! It show in "Hard-Knocks"!

Pretty simple... too many runs out of the shotgun which Gurley just isn't good at (few RBs are for a lot of very good reasons).

And Boras was subtraction by addition, schematically.