A Random Act Of Kindness

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been asked by my signifigant other to start this thread. Her hope is that other ROD members will post their own stories of "A Random act of kindness."

Every couple of weeks we go out in the RV and find a homeless person, the dirtier and gungier, the better, and bring them into the RV, give them a shower and cook them a decent meal. (Not a good idea to bring them to the house) She follows in the car and takes their clothes home and washes them, or goes the Goodwill and trashes the old stuff.

I have to admit it was her idea at first, but I am whole heatedly into it now and have been doing it for a couple of years now. Some of the stories of how these folks became homeless are tragic. Some are mentaly ill and just not abler to care for themselves.

With so much "bad" in the world, a "Random Act of Kindness" goes a long way, both to whoever you give it to and yourself.

Lets hear yours.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's been ages since I have done this but I used to buy stuffed animals and give them to kids at the mall.

Just as I was walking by I would hand it over and say "surprise!".

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't want to get into what I do but something that happened many years ago came to mind. My mom, who passed away 7 years ago, was the recipient of a random act of kindness that changed her.

For whatever reason she had a fear of black men. Tried many times to talk to her about it but she had no logical explanation. One night while driving alone in a rainstorm she had a flat tire. This was before there were cell phones. So she's stuck in her car late at night in a rain storm.

She said a car pulled up behind her and four young black men came out. They asked her to open the trunk, proceeded to put on the spare tire and then left without saying a word.

She was in tears while telling me of this incident and I've been ever grateful to those men for their random act of kindness. I suspect this goes on all the time but is rarely reported because negativity is good for ratings and clicks, while the goodness of people is not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have a recent story, but it's probably not super impressive...

I recently bought the lunch for the first 3 people who made our cafeteria staff smile.

We need to smile and laugh more in life. To easy to consume yourself with the negativity.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's been ages since I have done this but I used to buy stuffed animals and give them to kids at the mall.

sex-0707.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My wife and I will occasionally pay for the groceries of the people in front of us if they look like they're on a fixed income. You know, like, when they ask the cashier to unring some stuff because they don't have enough money for the whole bill. It's not as easy as it sounds though. People are pretty hesitant to let you pay because they think it's too generous.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
My son Michael is an inspiration to me. At age 20 he had a brain tumor and fought through all the treatments to full health, by God’s grace he was healed.

He has such a heart for the lonely. He is constantly taking the lost to a movie or to lunch. His list of friends may look like the island of misfit toys. But he is always quietly pouring out love where he is lead. He is the hands and feet. He is my hero. I’m so proud.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My wife and I will occasionally pay for the groceries of the people in front of us if they look like they're on a fixed income. You know, like, when they ask the cashier to unring some stuff because they don't have enough money for the whole bill. It's not as easy as it sounds though. People are pretty hesitant to let you pay because they think it's too generous.

I have given people money when they needed it, in some cases a couple of thousand dollars, and it can be awkward you are right about people thinking it's too much or too generous. And usually they are embarrassed.

There is a series of these videos on YouTube

fearsomefour

Legend
I was getting a coffee recently at a drive thru recently. I pull up to the cashier and he says "The woman in front of you in line paid for your coffee!"
Very nice.
"Would you like to pass it on to the person behind you?"
I thought about it...."Naw. I'm fine."
Life is a balance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s been a few years but I was at the store in Corvallis and when I walked out there was a vet in a wheel chair with one leg missing from the knee down. He was pan handling. I generally don’t give pan handlers money and I was just going to thank him for his service. We got to talking and in the conversation he talked about coming back and not fitting in. He then told me he had actually lost his leg in a motorcycle accident, not while serving. He told me it in a way that I could tell he was embarrassed but he was just being honest with me. As I was leaving I grabbed a hundred from my money clip and handed it to him thanking him again for his service and wished him well. I realize it wouldn’t change his life but he was clearly appreciative. I hope at least it gave him a good vibe about people.

In owning my restaurant and brewery, I have been approached by every cause known to man and I gave to most of the local ones. But I found that many of them were what I considered dubious. Many were collecting funds so HS kids could take a trip to Europe or cheer squads from families with more money than I had could go to Disney World - that sort of thing. We decided instead to concentrate on youth athletics. I started sponsoring teams and hosting parties for everything from tee ball teams, to HS basketball to, yes, even the cheer squad. My thought was to give to virtually anything that got kids out of the house and off the couch and away from their gaming screens. It wasn’t random but in a way it was because we didn’t descriminate as long as it was a physical activity for youth. In the end, I met so many great kids and their parents. And I would only give if the kids themselves were doing the work of gathering funds for other kids.

One of our best times was when I held a set of fund raising dinners for our local basketball team. As they advanced through the playoffs, we did another dinner to help them pay for hotel rooms and food. They lost in the finals and afterwards I closed the restaurant to host a party for the kids, their parents, and coaches. Man those kids could eat! At the end of the dinner, they gave me a basketball used during the game and signed by all the players and coaches. That ball will definitely take center of my man cave some day.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

upload_2018-5-26_20-13-31.jpeg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I feel you man. A couple times I have seen this and told the cashier to put the items back and add it to my receipt.

Sadly, I saw this happen right in front of me the other day and did nothing. I walked out behind her and was ashamed of myself for not stepping up.

I don’t see it all that often but I can assure you that next time, I will step up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey... BTW... this is a cool thread. Sometimes we need a little nudge to remember that personal acts mean so much more than govt hand outs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was just saying however the help arrives it's all good.
Sorry but I don't agree at all. The amount of money it takes to get a dollar of aid out of the gov't is insane. Direct, local donations go straight to the people needing the help. And if you look at the number of people giving to charities, there is a direct correlation of decline with the incline of gov't hand outs and "assistance". People now believe that they don't need to help because the gov't will take care of it. It's a real problem.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People now believe that they don't need to help because the gov't will take care of it. It's a real problem.

Maybe spending my life in the Midwest gives me different experiences. People give to local charities all the time. Over the years I have heard about how charity has increased, I think much of that is a function of an economy that has been strong for several years, maybe people feel safer parting with $$$.

For sure I agree that the Federal Government is wasteful as fuck, and the agencies that provide aid are monolithic and inefficient and need to get fixed badly. But right now at least people that need help are getting it.

I know FEMA is a favorite punching bag, I've taken some swings at them myself. But seeing how they did things here in SWFL after Irma smashed shit up was great to see. I was impressed with the response.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
By the way- and I think this is somewhat to the point of this thread- I always make a point of stopping at little kids lemonade stands.

Our boys set up a stand years ago. They were so excited. Trying to earn a few bucks in the summer. ONE car stopped in about 3 hours, on a busy street. I was hurt for them. Quietly seething at people being caught up in their own busy world. I have a couple rules for things like this:
  1. I am ALWAYS thirsty for a cup of lemonade from bright young faces on the side of the road.
  2. When I am NOT thirsty, refer to rule #1.
  3. I always have a "friend" I am buying a second cup for. Or, if they are charging .50, maybe give them a full dollar for great service.
  4. Taste it there in front of them, and tell them it was "delicious"! (even if it wasn't) If you are worried about the sanitary conditions, suck it up. :) I'm sure it's worth a couple minutes on the toilet. :LOL:
oh, and I'm talking about this stand:

lemon.jpg

or this one....

lemonade-stand.jpg

ANY guy can stop at this one :rolleyes:...

lemonade.png