A philosophical question about drafting a CB at #23, now...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Does the Peters trade take CB at #23 off the table, now?

I don’t think so, necessarily.

Depends on BPA at LOT, CB, Edge, or NT, of course.

But if a CB that they really like should fall, it would still make a ton of sense.

Peters will take away half the field, virtually. But if the other outside CB is weak, then the QB could still feast on him. However, if the rookie (or maybe a second tier FA) could also hold his own, then the QB is in a fix. Even a Brady or a Brees. What an exquisite scenario for Wade.

Another thing. What if Peters doesn’t work out? Too much of a distraction? It would be very nice to have a quality young 2 year vet already in place at the “other” CB spot, huh?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m just fine with a NT, Edge, or LOT, too. Just daydreaming here a little bit. Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The change is flexibility 43. In needing a CB2 instead of a CB1 the Rams don't need to press the pick early on to fill it. They could address CB2 a bit later in this particular draft and thus take the best player that fits them instead.

Of course the draft still has a good chance IMO to deliver us a CB as the clear highest value at 23, but it also might be ILB or OLB or even NT depending on how things break down.

So flexibility is the key.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm tending towards using our first draft pick for a CB2, whether that be in the 1'st round or the 2'nd due to a trade down. I tried to explain my reasoning on the draft/mock page, but a lot of it is due to our CAP situation and the expense of trying to sign another quality young vet at the position with as many needs elsewhere as we have. And following that first pick, we are just not sure yet of what draft picks will remain after the Peters trade, so we don't know how low in the draft we can go and still expect starting material to be available. BPA is the chief desire, but sometimes BPA at position still prevails. jmo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If I was a betting man, I think we will add a vet starting CB in UFA, and draft a front 7 guy. Most likely an EDGE guy. Can't help but get excited w/ all the talk about up to 6 QBs going in Rd 1 :mrburnsevil:
plus 2-3 RBs, a few OL, 1-2 WRs.. Bring on a stud D prospect at 23

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm tending towards using our first draft pick for a CB2, whether that be in the 1'st round or the 2'nd due to a trade down. I tried to explain my reasoning on the draft/mock page, but a lot of it is due to our CAP situation and the expense of trying to sign another quality young vet at the position with as many needs elsewhere as we have. And following that first pick, we are just not sure yet of what draft picks will remain after the Peters trade, so we don't know how low in the draft we can go and still expect starting material to be available. BPA is the chief desire, but sometimes BPA at position still prevails. jmo.

I have to agree. Mainly because I think CB at 23 will be a special player barring a run on the position, but also because Wade's defense with two shutdown corners is insanely good and relegating Web/Hill to depth makes this a playoff backfield in starting quality and depth. Also of course the fact that this is a passing league and CB & pass rushers are the elite positions on defense. And lastly the fact that Peters might lose his damn mind at any point. Drafting it is overdue.

If there's a run on corner then there should be some high end quality at either ILB, OLB, or NT. So IMO they really can't lose as long as they take the best player. Just a very high chance still that it will be CB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They should start grooming another top young CB now so he is at the top of his game when Peters' contract is up and the Rams don't want to franchise him again.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I’m all in on ILB or OLB. We’ll get our number 2 CB in Talib. Webster is not a starter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does it take it off the table? No. However, I think we're gonna have some solid options in FA, and I'd look there to address CB this year. However, I'd scout CBs hard for the 2019 Draft because we'll have a tough decision to make with Peters after 2019.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m all in on ILB or OLB. We’ll get our number 2 CB in Talib. Webster is not a starter.

Webster actually pleasantly surprised me. I thought he was a solid #2 CB. My issue is that he may not be ready to go at the start of the year due to his injury.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Webster actually pleasantly surprised me. I thought he was a solid #2 CB. My issue is that he may not be ready to go at the start of the year due to his injury.

Naw man, he was too grabby and stiff. Too many penalties...

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
They should start grooming another top young CB now so he is at the top of his game when Peters' contract is up and the Rams don't want to franchise him again.
My exact thoughts. Now is literally the perfect timing to crab a CB when we aren't drafting 29-32 in the first round. I whole wholeheartedly believe we will be in the next 5 years or so.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With the MP trade i'm really hoping this allows Snead to zero in on the BPA for the front seven in the first rd. DT, NT, DE, OLB, ILB etc....

In other words, i'm hoping there isn't a DB there they feel like they can't pass up on. We need to get stronger, faster, deeper up front. So critical in the post season.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The DL lacked depth last year, especially at NT. Only Walker was a legit 3-4 NT. But I don't think the Rams necessarily need to pick that position early. If there's a guy there that they can't pass up, so be it; but I am of the opinion that if the Rams bring back Walker then they can find another NT through other channels or later in the draft.

Re a CB at #23, I think that if the Rams are still picking in that spot on draft day (and I'm not so sure they will be now), CB will probably be the BPA for the Rams.
I'm completely ok with that. I was unimpressed with Webster (1 good game) and he will be coming off of an Achilles injury. Throw in his shoulder issue last year and you have to wonder where he'll be come training camp. The Rams, without significant improvement by their current CB corps, are looking pretty thin after Peters. A legit starting CB at #23 would suit me just fine.

A run stuffing NT can be had after that. As for the LBs, I think more help on the DL will help reduce those blockers getting to our LBs so easily. When it comes to an edge rusher, yes, the Rams should be looking at that too; but signing a FA will be too costly and I'm not sure there will be a first tier pass rusher still on the board at #23 who will be a better option than a starting CB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Naw man, he was too grabby and stiff. Too many penalties...

Thing I dislike most about him is his inability to play the ball once he turns his hips. He's a faceguarder type, no ball skills unless it's in front of him so better served in zone IMO. But Wade did a good job utilizing him though.

Ram65

Legend
Moves are far from over before the draft. They still need at least one CB before the draft if possible. Can use a NT, LBers. Some of the pressure is off but, the Rams still have lot of decisions to make before the draft. If they get another CB first then they have the option to pick the BPA that is a need and fits the system. The pick could still be a CB.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Draft expectations will be very fluid over the next few weeks. It's less fun to say this but I don't think we know what are needs are fully till we see how FA plays out. (I still think it's a lot of fun to war game scenarios of who might be there when we draft). The Rams, like most teams I think, will try to fill all holes in FA and then whatevers left will inform the draft. I'd love to have the draft flexibility to go pure BPA or trade down.

I think we can say with certainty though unless we sign another corner in FA, if the BPA is corner in this draft when we pick, I think they'd grab them.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yes, off the table.

We'll just put Joyner over CB2 and put Peters on an island, daring teams to throw at him. He's got elite ball skills, right?

Plus to get this defense to the next level we need an edge rusher or an all star ILB at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not any longer. Following the Peters trade I was an affirmative, now that Quinn is also gone, I believe CB2 must be a free agent. OLB has just moved ahead of CB for my vote with the first pick in the draft, whether at #23 or in a trade down. Ebukam may indeed be ready to take over at LOLB, but he'll need some solid depth joining him. ROLB needs a true starting replacement player for Quinn. Longacre is great depth when 100% healthy, although i'm not sure we can count on his even being ready for OTA's at this point. jmo.