A little spitballin’ on Rams possible OL ‘solutions’ this offseason...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
How about this ‘what if’ scenario?

Rams sign FA Jon Feliciano (Bills C/G) with the intention of replacing Blythe at C. Feliciano probably would sign for around $5M according to estimates that I’ve read. He’s started and played well for the Bills this year.

But Creed Humphrey falls to them in the 2nd so they pounce. Now Creed is the starting C for ‘21.

Feliciano moves over to starting LG taking Edwards’ place.

Edwards moves to RT replacing Hav, largely solving Rams pass rush woes AND freeing TE’s up for more receiving assignments which certainly helps whoever is at QB. Cough, cough...

Hav, and his contract, is traded for a 4th or 5th to be used on Day 3 for another need or developmental depth at some position.

Rams upgrade 3 OL positions by the end of Round 2. That’s a threefer, isn’t it? And it only cost Rams a 2nd while gaining a 4th or 5th for Hav. That would be a helluva OL, huh?

It all seems within the realm of possibility, don’t you think?

Or, am I missing something obvious?

dang

Legend

Rams sign FA Jon Feliciano (Bills C/G) with the intention of replacing Blythe at C. Feliciano probably would sign for around $5M according to estimates that I’ve read. He’s started and played well for the Bills this year.

But Creed Humphrey falls to them in the 2nd so they pounce. Now Creed is the starting C for ‘21.

Edwards moves to RT replacing Hav, largely solving Rams pass rush woes AND freeing TE’s up for more receiving assignments which certainly helps whoever is at QB. Cough, cough...

Hav, and his contract, is traded for a 4th or 5th to be used on Day 3 for another need or developmental depth at some position.

Rams upgrade 3 OL positions by the end of Round 2. That’s a threefer, isn’t it? And it only cost Rams a 2nd while gaining a 4th or 5th for Hav. That would be a helluva OL, huh?

The Rams have to protect Goff much better. He needs more time to be an effective pocket passer. Then they can assess Goff next year to see if he can play to his 2018 level or if he has permanently regressed. Big $$$ is invested in Goff and the Rams have one more year to figure it out. OC is the obvious position to upgrade so make it happen and pick someone who will guarantee it happens in 2021. Bye Bye Blythe!!!!

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

I dont see how Edwards is an upgrade over Havenstein. Nor is a developmental project player or two. What??? Havenstein is a top tier guy. All-pro? No...Still top tier. There are 20 starting tackles in the league and he ranks within the top 19 in every measured stat AND only allowed 1 sack in the playoffs (tied for 1st) while playing the 6th most snaps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-192609_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192609_Chrome.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20210123-192620_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192620_Chrome.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210123-192636_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-192636_Chrome.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 54

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any scenario improving the line immediately it welcomed. These or moves like them will hopefully happen heading into the 2021 off season.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Honestly though, I love everything you said other than trading Hav. We need good depth on the oline. Noteboom/edwards/Corbett (sp?) All 3 qualify as good depth. How about we retain them all, but promote competition, allowing the depth chart to shake out however it may. If havenstein loses the competion, then and only then do you trade him...not for a couple 5ths though. Bare minimum 3rd and a 5th...or maybe even a 2nd and a 6th.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Havenstein is a good player and McVay has never willingly started a rookie offensive lineman for any reason other than injury.

Like the idea of Felicino though.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont see how Edwards is an upgrade over Havenstein. Nor is a developmental project player or two. What??? Havenstein is a top tier guy. All-pro? No...Still top tier. There are 20 starting tackles in the league and he ranks within the top 19 in every measured stat AND only allowed 1 sack in the playoffs (tied for 1st) while playing the 6th most snaps.

‘Have you watched Hav’s pass pro against halfway decent rushers, Ramit? Wasn’t pretty.

Or noticed how much help Hav requires on many pass plays? Those TE’s could sure be useful as receiving threats for beleaguered Ram QB’s Instead of helping Hav like he was a damned rookie.

Yeah, Hav is a beast while run blocking, but very marginal in pass pro. I think Edwards would be more balanced and saving Hav’s cap hit would be nice, too.

Would you prefer Boom or Evans over at RT? I’m fine with whomever Kromer would prefer, frankly.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
‘Have you watched Hav’s pass pro against halfway decent rushers, Ramit? Wasn’t pretty.

Or noticed how much help Hav requires on many pass plays? Those TE’s could sure be useful as receiving threats for beleaguered Ram QB’s Instead of helping Hav like he was a damned rookie.

Yeah, Hav is a beast while run blocking, but very marginal in pass pro. I think Edwards would be more balanced and saving Hav’s cap hit would be nice, too.

Would you prefer Boom or Evans over at RT? I’m fine with whomever Kromer would prefer, frankly.
I'm just saying that coming off of an injury year, Havenstein is trending up. He's only 28, which is basically a toddler in o-line years. Dude has nowhere to go but up. My guess? In 2 years, that 8 mil salary will seem like a bargain because he will continue to improve.

In line tight ends are a thing for a reason man. There's also a reason that the strong side is on the right side. Your top dawg is the guy on the left, the dude who doesn't need help. Defenses got smart and started putting their best rushers over the RT. Havenstein may need help a lot of times, but there is a reason for that...plus its not like the dude is a complete turnstile.
It would be great to have 2 island tackles, I concur. However, I think it would be best to simply move edwards over to the right side guard position in your scenario. Remember how much the run game fell off when noteboom had to step in for whit?
Now let us consider scheme. McVays scheme requires the run game to be effective in order to get the defense. To react in certain ways that open up playaction. That all falls apart if you can't run the ball.

I'd rather put edwards next to him that way at least Hav has good help on one side and decent help on the other when necessary, and we can continue to run the ball at will.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Pure CRAZY TALK

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Havenstein is trending up. He's only 28, which is basically a toddler in o-line years. Dude has nowhere to go but up. My guess? In 2 years, that 8 mil salary will seem like a bargain because he will continue to improve.

I‘ve been a long standing Havenstein guy, but... to “get something“ you have to “give something”.

What you describe is value to trade.

Yeah, hate to lose that value... but can the return value combination work for the Rams positively? You HAVEnstein to consider it.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I‘ve been a long standing Havenstein guy, but... to “get something“ you have to “give something”.

What you describe is value to trade.

Yeah, hate to lose that value... but can the return value combination work for the Rams positively? You HAVEnstein to consider it.
Hey, I completely get it. I'm just not, in the least, convinced that the way forward is via jettison of our second most talented Olineman.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big Rob can push a speed guy past Goff... that's all he can do, but that means Goff has to be able to step up in the pocket. This is where the problem starts. Either Blythe gets bull-rushed and pushed back, or the three interior lineman fail when trying to "pass" D-lineman over to each other. Time and time again I saw defenders getting through our double teams when they were trying to switch assignments. Did anyone else notice this?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

the lack of sacks given up by havenstein maybe a little misleading. he could be part of the reason that we don't throw deep any more. in other words if we take the time to make those deep throws his sacks might go way up.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

you know for a team that is trying to get their run game going i don't think ether of those two will work out well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rob Havenstein is just entering his prime years as an NFL OL'er. He is a finished product for most parts. Havenstein's value would be very high to an NFL offense that:

#1- has a well-balanced established consistent running game.
#2- QB that has good pocket awareness.
#3- QB that has mobility.
#4- QB can be an average running threat out of the pocket.
#5- QB has good ball control managing under pressure.

Rams with Goff as a starting QB can not meet any of the five listed above. Hav's contract is a friendly contract to teams who are in great need of an RT like Hav. Rams Org. right now is in need of salary cap relief. A post-June 1st 2021 trade will provide over $17 million of that need for the next 2021/2022 seasons immediately.

Rams have a good number of young former college starting OT's under contract......Bobby Evans, Joseph Noteboom, Chandler Brewer Treymayne Anchrum & David Edwards. So no one can say we do not have any replacements for Hav @ RT.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
My thoughts is I do not trust Notebook, Edwards and Evans. None of these draft picks have planned out or showed promise. Unfortunately they can be depth at best just not starters.

As for Blythe he must go.

I can live with Big Rob and Whit for another year I don't love Bob Rob but he is better than the three draftees mentioned.

I like Corbett not a world beater but like Big Rob he is solid enough.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My thoughts is I do not trust Notebook, Edwards and Evans. None of these draft picks have planned out or showed promise. Unfortunately they can be depth at best just not starters.

As for Blythe he must go.

I can live with Big Rob and Whit for another year I don't love Bob Rob but he is better than the three draftees mentioned.

I like Corbett not a world beater but like Big Rob he is solid enough.
OT Joe Noteboom is now going into his 4th season. When was the last time we had a chance to see him play RT post? I am thinking it was his rookie season in 2018. Would I be wrong to say that he has been playing behind both all-pro Whitworth & veteran starting Rob Havenstein since he came to the Rams? Would it be fair to write Noteboom off so fast @ playing RT when he has yet to play that post with any regularity?

The near 6-7 tall David Edwards has now started his first two NFL seasons at both LG & RG. In college, he became a starter @ RT as a redshirt freshman in 2016. In 2017, Edwards was an All-American @ RT & in 2018, he was a first-team All-Big Ten selection @ RT, so he has a decorated college career. PFF gave RT Edwards the eighth-best run-blocking grade of any tackle prospect in the 2019 draft class. I would not want to go on record saying David Edwards has not panned out or showed any promise.
David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin (draftblaster.com)
David Edwards called a draft prospect the Bears should watch (247sports.com)

Bobby Evans is entering his 3rd NFL season. He started 7 games @ RT for Hav his rookie season. He did well for a rookie OT. This past season he was active for 9 gms & played in 5 gms. Evans started both playoff gms @ LG. He has played in 20 gms with 9 starts. When you read all the pre-draft profiles on Evans is sure appears that the RT post was made for Evans to play in the NFL.
Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma (draftblaster.com)
Analyzing Bobby Evans’ impact from Sean McVay-era of draft selections (therams.com)

Tremayne Anchrum is a very interesting project with a championship background. I have not seen Anchrum play in the NFL yet but I sure seen a ton of him in college & I was very impressed with his sound play & maturity he showed in those very big games. Once again there is no way any fan here knows what the Rams have in this short OT. Through his time as a full-time starter, Clemson went a combined 29-1 over two seasons.
Tremayne Anchrum Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Memphis Ram

Legend
3. LOS ANGELES RAMS
It is safe to say that the Rams got the bounce-back season they badly needed from their offensive line following the disaster that was the 2019 season for Los Angeles up front.

There really wasn’t a whole lot of movement from the Rams this past offseason to add to the group, so the change centered around improvement from the players who were already on the roster. Andrew Whitworth improved his PFF grade by 16 points before his injury, while Austin Blythe’s and Austin Corbett’s grades each jumped nearly 20 points. Those improvements paled in comparison to Rob Havenstein’s jump from a 50.9 PFF grade in 2019 to 80.0 heading into this year’s postseason.

As a result, Jared Goff has been pressured on fewer than 30% of his dropbacks after that number sat at 36% in 2019. That remains one of the biggest keys to this offense moving forward, given Goff's career clean pocket vs. pressure splits.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feliciano doesn't do it for me. Way I view him is we already have guys who are iffy in pass pro. If we're going to go get a FA addition then go get an upgrade.

There should be a few good options at C and G. Then draft Center if FA doesn't address it.