A few mid-preseason thoughts after the Raider game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I haven’t yet re-watched the Raider game, but I’d like to share a few impressions after camp reports and 2 PS games.

I’m very bullish on this Franklin-Myers kid. I predict that he will grow and develop steadily this season. He’s already a gem and will provide quality rotational snaps this season.

Speaking of gems, yeah, Noteboom was a HUGE find late in the 3rd round. I see a bright, bright future for this young man. I’m already 100% sold.

I’m just gonna say it. Our Achilles heel now seems to be backup QB. I’m uncomfortable there with all three guys. Surely McVay feels the same? Hope so. And I hope that Snead is scouring rosters for potential upgrades. Our season potentially could hang on the results.

Malcolm Brown’s hold on #2 RB seems to be slipping. He needs to make a statement in these remaining PS games, I think. Unless his performance in practices has solidified his slot? Kelly has just been looking so good in the 2 PS games. Kelly not only makes the 53, but might seize that #2 spot based on results I’ve seen so far.

I’m kinda liking our OL depth now with the addition of the 3 rookies. Yeah, Kromer needs to coach them up and they need to live in that weight room, but I feel cautiously optimistic about their respective ceilings. What a relief that is.

Reynolds and Hemingway need to do a better job of catching the damned ball. Both have disappointed me, falling far short of expectations. TE might be a high priority for next offseason. Sigh...

This Hodge kid is making a statement, huh? Comes in late to camp and yet has outplayed the bottom of our WR roster. Don’t see how they can keep 7 WR’s, but I also don’t see how they can cut Hodge if he keeps this up. Nice problem to have.

Good thing for Pharoh Cooper that he’s a helluva ST player, ‘cause he’s not impressing as a WR. TBH, this Hodge kid would otherwise seize Cooper’s WR spot, I think.

Westbrooks just keeps getting better and better, doesn’t he? He’s now reached the stature of a top tier rotational DL player. Not gonna be a whole lot of relief for opposing OL players this year as Rams rotate their DL players. Love it.

I don’t think that it’s too soon to feel cautiously optimistic about our LB depth. Joe Barry and Wade seem to have multiple LB candidates to develop. I’ve been particularly impressed by Kiser’s instincts. And Lawler, Scales, and Hager have been showing up constantly on my TV screen in these 2 games. Plenty for a coach like Barry to work with there.

We are loaded in our secondary, DL, and WR corps, aren’t we? And to think that just 2 years ago we were pathetic at WR. Now it wouldn’t be a big stretch to call all 3 units elite.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I agree with the backup QB situation. At this point its probably too late to bring in someone else. All we can do is hope Mannion would do better playing with all the starters. But even that is iffy.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Franklin Myers looks like a man out there! I see exactly what Snead was talking about with McVay in the War Room. That kid has heavy hands. He rag dolled that TE that was trying to block him.The TE was engaged with Myers and he tossed him to the ground with one hand while drawing the holding penalty. The next play he gets good pressure on the QB to force a bad throw. He really flashes, it's easy to see with him IMO.
Westbrooks trying to make me forget about that gun charge! He's been the star of the D line so far these first 2 games.
Just want to give a little praise to Ebukam as well. No sacks, but he's close and you can see the burst he has. Still a question mark about how he will hold up in the run game though. I like what I see from him though.
Hodge's two catches yesterday were amazing. Another nice game and he's a lock for the PS IMO.
Lastly, Marqui Christian can play. If Joyner or Johnson get hurt, I think he'd be small drop off, but a solid option. He also hits like a ton of bricks too. Dropped that OL of the Raiders after the turnover.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Good post senor 43 and being I basically agree with most of above I’ll just get to the point of disagreement

You may or may not be right on the backup QB, seems this entire site is piling on this topic on one thread or another

Thing is, Mannion has not exactly been set up to succeed considering he’s cast with backups to function with, nor has the playbook been really opened yet

Anyone really believe Goff would be exponentially better in this same circumstance?

I’m not going to panic just yet, but if he flounders with the first string I’ll reserve the right to back peddle ( assuming he gets a shot with the “ones”)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don’t think that it’s too soon to feel cautiously optimistic about our LB depth. Joe Barry and Wade seem to have multiple LB candidates to develop. I’ve been particularly impressed by Kiser’s instincts. And Lawler, Scales, and Hager have been showing up constantly on my TV screen in these 2 games. Plenty for a coach like Barry to work with there.

As I've watched Ebu's relentlessness I feel way better about these guys on the edge. The Rams last year were old and heavy-footed in contain on the edge and teams took advantage. This year's defense is "Fast and Furious" with the changeover to young legs and it's going to pay immediate dividends on the edge, screens, etc.

ILB is a lesser concern than the edge but we're getting solid play there too. So IMO those two things coupled with an elite secondary and DL are going to translate into this defense finally getting into that top ten in scoring allowed.

I feel really good about them right now. Only concern is depth. For ROLB for example we don't have many options behind Ebukam. So it sure would be nice to see some more of Okorongkwo before preseason closes out.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Contain on the edge? What is this mysterious thing that you speak of? Seriously, watching Quinn last year was painful. I think Wade Phillips has about 90% of what he wants personnel wise. Depending on how the linebackers pan out this year he might be at 95%. Watching Ebukam, Noteboom, Franklin-Meyers, and a couple others last night really gave me some good tingles. Hopefully Obo Okoronkwo recovers soon and will be available later in the season. I just might win that $8 from my first ever bet placed in Reno that the Rams win NFC West. If the Rams win the NFC title I get $50. As you can tell I'm a pretty high roller. LOL!

As I've watched Ebu's relentlessness I feel way better about these guys on the edge. The Rams last year were old and heavy-footed in contain on the edge and teams took advantage. This year's defense is "Fast and Furious" with the changeover to young legs and it's going to pay immediate dividends on the edge, screens, etc.

ILB is a lesser concern than the edge but we're getting solid play there too. So IMO those two things coupled with an elite secondary and DL are going to translate into this defense finally getting into that top ten in scoring allowed.

I feel really good about them right now. Only concern is depth. For ROLB for example we don't have many options behind Ebukam. So it sure would be nice to see some more of Okorongkwo before preseason closes out.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

I'm wondering if Obo will ba back this season. With Galette visiting the Rams I have a feeling that Longacre or Obo might start the season on the injured reserve. Speaking of injuries I wonder with Westbrook and Myers looking so good will Easley make the roster?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, Noteboom was a 3rd rounder. Still an amazing get.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Good post senor 43 and being I basically agree with most of above I’ll just get to the point of disagreement

You may or may not be right on the backup QB, seems this entire site is piling on this topic on one thread or another

Thing is, Mannion has not exactly been set up to succeed considering he’s cast with backups to function with, nor has the playbook been really opened yet

Anyone really believe Goff would be exponentially better in this same circumstance?

I’m not going to panic just yet, but if he flounders with the first string I’ll reserve the right to back peddle ( assuming he gets a shot with the “ones”)

All we have to go by is the hope that its due to playing exclusively with backups. They've never given him an opportunity to play with the 1's. But we see some examples of backup QB's around the league doing well with their 2nd and 3rd string. Are our backups that bad? Or is Mannion?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just finished watching the game. (Family commitment yesterday).

Yes, Sean Mannion is not starting caliber. No, Allen is not a better option than Mannion. He might become better later, but Mannion knows the offense better and is a better game manager.
My guess is Rams already have started looking for a backup to Goff and this is Mannion's last season with the Ram.It would be nice if Rams had someone better to be backup QB, but they don't, so lets all hope Goff doesn't get hurt.,

Playing all the 2nd and lower tier players gives McVay and Phillips a lot of tape to evaluate them. They've got 2 more games to make final cut decisions. Some oar going to be tough.

OL play was better than the Ravens game. Noteboom and Allen were much better this time around. Demby needs more work. Neary needs to file for unelmplyment. Eldrencamp is a turnstile. DWilliams cannot contain speed rush. Lucas best spot is RT. Both those guys could get cut in favor of the younger guys.

Lots of LB's to look at and I'm encouraged Wade will have them sorted out by game one. I thought Hagar and Kiser stood out.

Going to watch the game again tonight and replay so I can see some more of the OL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm wondering if Obo will ba back this season. With Galette visiting the Rams I have a feeling that Longacre or Obo might start the season on the injured reserve. Speaking of injuries I wonder with Westbrook and Myers looking so good will Easley make the roster?
The status of OLB'ers Longacre & rookie Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is certainly a big question.

Now we know why Wade gave rookie John Franklin Myers the #57 LB'er # & not a DL'er number. JFM's has been lining up in the base 3-4-3 @ LOLB'er on the opposite side of Ebukam. Then moving inside to work the 5 tech DL position in the base 3-4-4 too. If that was not enough we have also seen him @ LDE in the 4-2-5 Nickle & the 4-1-6 Dime defenses. JFM performance show'd well playing all those different posts all in just one pre season game! Are we really sure we need to sign Jr Gallette?

Two other rookie Trevon Young & Justin Lawler impressed me from what I have see at the OLB/DE positions. Two other OLB/DE 'ers vet Ryan Davis & 2nd season Ejuan Price also have looked steady. In addition we have seen little of OLB'ers Travin Howard, Martin & Brian Womac. Even if Okoronkwo or Longacre are placed on the IR & given designated to return in the 2nd half of the season this OLB/DE position without them is not in sad shape.

On your question about DT Dom Easley ...If this new talented rookie DE/OLB JFM can play so many positions in the defensive front five to go with the four main DT's Brockers/ Donald/ Suh/ Westbrooks that's a good question. Wade has show'd a ton of these OLB'er tweeners playing HD action his his four 3 pt stances in his 3 & 4 player DL's. Hard to see at this time were this five DL'ers Omarius Bryant, Chunky Clements, Lord Hyeamang, Sebastian Joseph-Day & Tanzel Smart have much of a chance here in the next 2 PS gms to earn a position on the 53 roster. The best of these five is Sebastian Joseph-Day. If Easley gets healthy is there a real need for more than five DT's?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Actually, Noteboom was a 3rd rounder. Still an amazing get.
When you discover a rookie OL'er who has played very well in 3 positions LT/RT & RG thus far & then go back & find he was a late 3rd rd pick :yess::yay:. Does appear to have more overall value & upside than our last 3rd round OL'er selection & starter Jamon Brown, who was a much earlier selection.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm going to pound the Hagar drum . He's been in on almost every play and has a nose for the ball. He really showed up in game two and hope he gets a chance next week w the 1's

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The status of OLB'ers Longacre & rookie Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is certainly a big question.

Now we know why Wade gave rookie John Franklin Myers the #57 LB'er # & not a DL'er number. JFM's has been lining up in the base 3-4-3 @ LOLB'er on the opposite side of Ebukam. Then moving inside to work the 5 tech DL position in the base 3-4-4 too. If that was not enough we have also seen him @ LDE in the 4-2-5 Nickle & the 4-1-6 Dime defenses. JFM performance show'd well playing all those different posts all in just one pre season game! Are we really sure we need to sign Jr Gallette?

Two other rookie Trevon Young & Justin Lawler impressed me from what I have see at the OLB/DE positions. Two other OLB/DE 'ers vet Ryan Davis & 2nd season Ejuan Price also have looked steady. In addition we have seen little of OLB'ers Travin Howard, Martin & Brian Womac. Even if Okoronkwo or Longacre are placed on the IR & given designated to return in the 2nd half of the season this OLB/DE position without them is not in sad shape.

On your question about DT Dom Easley ...If this new talented rookie DE/OLB JFM can play so many positions in the defensive front five to go with the four main DT's Brockers/ Donald/ Suh/ Westbrooks that's a good question. Wade has show'd a ton of these OLB'er tweeners playing HD action his his four 3 pt stances in his 3 & 4 player DL's. Hard to see at this time were this five DL'ers Omarius Bryant, Chunky Clements, Lord Hyeamang, Sebastian Joseph-Day & Tanzel Smart have much of a chance here in the next 2 PS gms to earn a position on the 53 roster. The best of these five is Sebastian Joseph-Day. If Easley gets healthy is there a real need for more than five DT's?
sorry Boni but I disagree with you on the Olb postion if Longacre and Okoronkwo are out. I really like Young and Lawler but I would take Gallette over both Davis and Price.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

A lot of piling on and hand wringing.

Mannion has thrown quality balls to receivers that are not separating.

I’m much more confident in what we haven’t seen and less worried about what we have seen.

dang

Legend
sorry Boni but I disagree with you on the Olb postion if Longacre and Okoronkwo are out. I really like Young and Lawler but I would take Gallette over both Davis and Price.
Agreed - 100%. I am not sure Davis or Price even make the 53 man roster.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I was kinda surprised that first fumble was actually a fumble. I thought maybe tuck rule(is that still a thing?) or incomplete pass. But nobody said much about it on the telecast.