9 questions about the Rams 8 days before Week 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
1. Will it take Stafford 3 or 4 games before he has command of McVay's offense and shows why they traded for him?

2. Are the Rams as thin with their depth/backups as the NFL media and talking heads believe?

3. Will the the losses of Safety John Johnson, CB Troy Hill, DL Morgan Fox, DT Michael Brockers and OLB Samson Ebukam have a negative impact the 2021 defense?

4. Is center Brian Allen going to be as good as McVay and his offensive staff believes he is?

5. Is Rams new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris capable of keeping the Rams defense ranked in the top 5?

6. Was Tutu Atwell really the best available player on the Rams draft board? If he was, will he prove it during the coarse of the 2021 season?

7. Will the Rams offensive line group be close to as good as it was in 2020?

8. Will the loss of Cam Akers not be as much of a blow in 2021 because of Henderson, Sony Michel and Funk's skill set?

9. After Higbee, are there any other Rams TE's talented enough to start and make in impact 2021

OIP.80jPD8jef3aJfCunvi-dPgAAAA

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I know it’s not Mcvay’s MO, but still a little surprised Stafford didn’t get a few plays in. Then again, Stafford is such a smart vet, he more so than most can step right in seamlessly. We can only hope. Fascinating to see how it plays out for him against a good Bears D.

FrenchRams

UDFA
That’s a lot of good questions, I think that we gonna be a top 5 defense again this season but I’m a bit worry about our CB depth…
And I was thinking, who’s gonna be our starting SS next to Jordan Fuller ?
Because I guess that Fuller will be the FS now that JJ left and he deserves it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Those are all good questions…. Great thread!

1. Will it take Stafford 3 or 4 games before he has command of McVay's offense and shows why they traded for him?

I think it will be sooner… but I got to believe as great as Stafford might be, it’s a new offense... All new players... We should expect some periods they appear still learning to sync things up.

2. Are the Rams as thin with their depth/backups as the NFL media and talking heads believe?

All teams have a depth concern somewhere. I think the Rams are on par with the rest of the league, maybe even stronger than most.

If people want to rag on the drop off from some of our starters, well… that bar is high in places. Of course the depth is somewhat lesser.

3. Will the the losses of Safety John Johnson, CB Troy Hill, DL Morgan Fox, DT Michael Brockers and OLB Samson Ebukam have a negative impact the 2021 defense?

You lose Brockers, Johnson, Hill… you feel it. But the Rams addressed these areas… I think I like the make up with Robinson and these young depth guys, Hoehct and Jonah Williams. I love our secondary.

4. Is center Brian Allen going to be as good as McVay and his offensive staff believes he is?

We are all guessing at this point. Fingers crossed. Good thing is, these guys make a lot of good decisions. I won’t doubt them on this one.

5. Is Rams new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris capable of keeping the Rams defense ranked in the top 5?

I believe so. He’s got the reputation, experienced… and inherited the #1 unit. Bam!

6. Was Tutu Atwell really the best available player on the Rams draft board? If he was, will he prove it during the coarse of the 2021 season?

I have my doubts, but I suspect the Rams really wanted him and didn‘t want to risk trade down.

You can see his route skills and soft hands. Tutu is already proving it to me. Just keep doing what you are doing Tutu.

It’s the same line. Allen is the only change… Corbin and Edwards more experience… Allen > Blythe we hope.

It doesn’t look like it should slide backwards to me.

8. Will the loss of Cam Akers not be as much of a blow in 2021 because of Henderson, Sony Michel and Funk's skill set?

I like Sony Michel… so, it’s back to where I thought it would be with Akers.

I sort of expect Sony to shine, myself. I think he’s a perfect fit and that’s why the Rams targeted him.

9. After Higbee, are there any other Rams TE's talented enough to start and make in impact 2021.

They love Mundt. We all see Harris potential… will McVay sprinkle him in?

I think Hopkins is #4 in the pecking order if the Rams were forced to rank who they’d keep.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
1- Seems reasonable to expect. Lots of teams take a few games to get rolling, new QB or not.

2-I seriously doubt it. The perception may come in that there's a huge dropoff from an Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey... but that, to me, is because they're so damn good.

3-Yes. But there are multiple players ready to step up and contribute.

4-Oh, boy... he better be. He obviously wasn't the plan. Outsiders like Jourdan Rodrigue seem to think he's earned the spot.. while also acknowledging that Evans lost his, making Corbett move.

5-Yes, but I think a top 10 finish is more likely.

6-Best player? Hard to say. Rochelle may end up being the best player drafted from that position on... or Bobby Brown. I'm more focused on whether he contributes, period.

7-If Allen is up to the task, absolutely. Could be even better.

8-Only if Michel stays healthy. Funk will contribute very minimally, most likely.

9-I guess you'd have to define impact. I'd say they'll see real contributions from Mundt.

oldnotdead

Legend
1. NO

2. NO

3. NO they've been upgraded

4. YES He didn't play as badly as most seem to think. He outplayed Blythe in 2019. Kromer favoritism kept him benched last year. See #7

5. Probably top 5

6. Tutu was drafted to fill a specific offensive hole in McVay's offense. Sean wants another Cooks type of receiver which is why he signed DeSean to mentor Tutu.

7. Better because of better coaching and more experience.

8. NO Michel will fill Akers role as good or better. He's a proven #1 RB

9. YES Both Hopkins and Harris add a dimension lacking in Higbee, namely speed.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler

9. After Higbee, are there any other Rams TE's talented enough to start and make in impact 2021

Those are all good questions…. Great thread!

I think it will be sooner… but I got to believe as great as Stafford might be, it’s a new offense... All new players... We should expect some periods they appear still learning to sync things up.

All teams have a depth concern somewhere. I think the Rams are on par with the rest of the league, maybe even stronger than most.

If people want to rag on the drop off from some of our starters, well… that bar is high in places. Of course the depth is somewhat lesser.

You lose Brockers, Johnson, Hill… you feel it. But the Rams addressed these areas… I think I like the make up with Robinson and these young depth guys, Hoehct and Jonah Williams. I love our secondary.

We are all guessing at this point. Fingers crossed. Good thing is, these guys make a lot of good decisions. I won’t doubt them on this one.

I believe so. He’s got the reputation, experienced… and inherited the #1 unit. Bam!

I have my doubts, but I suspect the Rams wanted wanted him and didn‘t want to risk trade down.

You can see his route skills and soft hands. Tutu is already proving it to me. Just keep doing what you are doing Tutu.

It’s the same line. Allen is the only change… Corbin and Edwards more experience… Allen > Blythe we hope.

It doesn’t look like it should slide backwards to me.

I like Sony Michel… so, it’s back to where I thought it would be with Akers.

I sort of expect Sony to shine, myself. I think he’s a perfect fit and that’s why the Rams targeted him.

9. After Higbee, are there any other Rams TE's talented enough to start and make in impact 2021.

They love Mundt. We all see Harris potential… will McVay sprinkle him in?

I think Hopkins is #4 in the pecking order if the Rams were forced to rank who they’d keep.
1. We know how McVay feels but I woulda thought this was the time to deviate from that thinking. If anyone doesn’t need preseason it’s Brady but he played. Mahomes played, Ben played, pretty much everyone got some work except Stafford. Trying to get Jackson and Tutu and Allen live reps together would seem worth the risk.
2-3.I think depth looks worse from the outside, they’ve been preparing for JJ to leave for a couple seasons and it seems they’ve done a really good job with safeties. Same with Brock, they thought he was gone and they drafted and acquired his replacement. I think most of us worry about the oline but we’ll see.
I’ve seen it written that Ebukam was one of the important losses but that seems like a stretch to me.
4. I’d sure feel better if there were another option.
5. I’ve seen 3 nfc west teams in the top 10, it won’t be a surprise if the defensive ranking slides.
6. McVay values what Tutu and Jackson bring, and we all saw the offense last year.
7. There are plenty of guys who’ve been in the system but it’s really the same line so fingers crossed.
8. Kinda surprising to get a guy as accomplished as Michel that late, if he can stay healthy it’s a good group.
9. nobody was really expecting Mundt to be the 2nd guy but sounds like he’s going to have a bigger role, will we see Harris, can he be the mismatch McVay has been looking for?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

1. I don't believe Stafford will need to learn the system more. He's an intelligent veteran quarterback, and while the McVay system is fairly complicated, he's definitely going to cater to Stafford's stengths.

2. It depends on the backups. With wide receiver, tight end, defensive line, I'm fine. But fate forbid one of our running backs goes down.

3. Yes, they will. I know that Fuller is amazing, but JJ3 is still a huge loss in the secondary, as much as I feel that we had to let him go for cash purposes. Brockers is a great veteran presence; there's a reason he was my favorite player when he was here. Fox has solid pass-rushing skills. I think that we've replaced the players adequately, but let's not say that it won't affect the defense; it will.

4. No. In fact, I can see him replaced by Corbett with Anchrum at right guard. I'll believe that Allen is better when I see it. He got Noteboom hurt, he was an awful pass-protector and run-blocker, he got himself hurt as well, and it doesn't help that he's short, even for a center.

5. Actually, yes. We always have a possibility of being top five with AD and Ramsey. Add in a solid safety trio in Fuller, a healthy Rapp, and a healthy Burgess, D-Will at the other cornerback slot, a full year of Lewis and Hollins, with Floyd as a solid outside backer, maybe Jones as an eventual starter at MIKE, and more young depth along the D-line, I think Morris will do fine. In fact, I guarantee he'll get another head-coaching job after one or two years if this defense is as good as I think it could be. Yes, we'll miss our guys, but we have the core and solid pieces.

6. Honestly believe he was. Would I have preferred Bolton then Darden? Without a doubt, but what's done is done, and I think that Atwell was who they wanted. Atwell is fast and is much more of a receiver than Tavon was, but he doesn't have Tavon's escapability and feel for returning kicks/punts. I also want to see Atwell improve his run-blocking; Tavon, as small as he was, was actually a pretty good run-blocker.

7. Maybe? I'm more confident that we'll have options if, fate forbid, Whitworth goes down with another injury (so glad that Alaric Jackson made the team; he's going to be a good one). I'm less confident at center and left guard. Ultimately, it'll be up to how Allen performs.

8. It will be a huge blow. It's absolutely a huge blow; Akers could've had a Dalvin Cook-like breakout year this year. Michel is great, Henderson is great, and Funk is interesting, but Akers would've made this running back group tick. I wish that he didn't have an Achilles tear; it's a death sentence to skill position players.

9. Jacob Harris, full stop. I still think he could thrive as a redzone target, as well as a deep threat. Hopkins is someone I'm absolutely much less sold on, but he did have a good receiving game against the Broncos.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I know it’s not Mcvay’s MO, but still a little surprised Stafford didn’t get a few plays in. Then again, Stafford is such a smart vet, he more so than most can step right in seamlessly. We can only hope. Fascinating to see how it plays out for him against a good Bears D.
I would be surprised but thrilled to see Stafford step in seamlessly. Rams run a very complex offense, just getting the new terminology and all of the variations completely down would be a challenge for anyone. And it's not just Stafford out there on his own. We have a new o-line coach, new center, new RB, new receivers, and no doubt some new sets and plays.

Having said that, I hope and expect Stafford to bring some considerable passing skills from the outset. But the real test will be the second half of the season, against the NFC west for home field, and hopefully in the playoffs. That's when it needs to be "seamless" (though not a term I would choose to describe football, even footballs have seams.)

(For a reality check consider how Brady and Rodgers took time to adjust to new offenses. Brady took most of his first year. Rodgers nearly doubled his TD total from 26 to 48 under LaFleur and significantly upped his completion percentage and overall rating in year 2.)

But to respond to another point I'm more concerned about the D. The D has to play together and that definitely takes time. Morris running a new scheme (since it appears he will stick to at least some of the Staley/Fangio defense.) A number of young and relatively unproven players. Lack of depth (surely we would have kept Fox or Brockers or JJ but for the salary cap).

Overall I do not expect this team to play to its full potential until the second half of the year and the playoffs, but I would very happy to be proven wrong.

dang

Legend
I expect a top 5 offense by the end of game 2 when Michel and Stafford lock in. I expect a top 10 defense but not until mid season. The loss of JJ3 and Hill will take a while to duplicate.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm thinking 3 or 4 quarters.
No. The media heads think that by dealing all of those picks the Rams can't possibly have good players being brought in and coached up in the late rds and UFA.
I think Brockers will be missed.
Idk. Sorry.
Yes. Ramsey & Donald are the pillars. I think you'd have to be pretty bad at your job to screw up how this thing works best.
I don't think so. Not a fan of where he was picked.
I think it will look a bit more stabilized just by having a better QB who can face pressure and "mask" our imperfect OL.
I think the Sony Michel acquisition was a big deal. A very good fit in the wake of Cam's injury. I do think he'll be missed on the goal line.
I don't think so. Maybe late in the year or next year. If any of these guys put up Gerald Everett numbers i'd be pleasantly surprised.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Allen outplayed Blythe at Center in 2019?

I must have missed that one.

I saw an offensive line that immediately improved when they moved Blythe to Center.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I saw an offensive line that immediately improved when they moved Blythe to Center.
I think this is an over simplification and not completely accurate.

Blythe moving to center certainly didn't make an immediate difference, and when the line started to shore up, it was with Corbett and Edwards at guard and Evans in for an injured Hav. Oh, and his healthy guard was an undersized Blythe.

PFF is just one way to measure these things and Allen graded out slightly better than Blythe in 19. Neither was particularly great.

A slightly bulked up Allen has a decent shot of being better than Blythe, maybe by a decent margin. Let's see how he performs with big, experienced Guards around him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

True, Blythe was better versed in the offense, plus more consistent with his snaps, however, Blythe always struggled at the point of attack and this is where a bigger, stronger Allen should be an upgrade. Let's get behind Allen, he worked his ass off this offseason. He's bigger, stronger and was excellent during OTA's, training camp and the scrimmages, overall, I believe Allen is ready to be a total asset on the offensive line.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
PFF is just one way to measure these things and Allen graded out slightly better than Blythe in 19. Neither was particularly great.

I've had this debate with others, PFF's grade included Blythe both at Center & Guard, if it just rated him at Center, he would have graded above Allen. Does not matter, it's a different Brian Allen and I'm anxious to see him rise to the occasion and put all our minds at ease.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've had this debate with others, PFF's grade included Blythe both at Center & Guard, if it just rated him at Center, he would have graded above Allen. Does not matter, it's a different Brian Allen and I'm anxious to see him rise to the occasion and put all our minds at ease.
Is this a guess, or do you have the breakdown?

Because in 18, Blythe graded out about 20 points higher on PFF when he was playing guard, exclusively.
And if he was playing guard that bad in 19, even more reason that Allen could've looked bad in 19.