8to12 Rams Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
With the Draft less than 2 weeks away, I will list draft picks only and presume any other FA moves will not occur until after the Draft.

A couple of notes:

1) Like most everyone here, I think Edge defenders are the highest need.

2) I think OL is the second most important need but I disagree that drafting 2 or 3 of them in 6th and hope they develop will work. There is not enough time for the coaches to develop them with limited amount of time they get in the offseason / OTA’s. They need players that can compete now.

3) Cody Davis leaving in Free Agency was a blow to the Rams kick coverage units. He was an important cog in the machine. Rams need to find a replacement.

4) No trades

NFL Draft

3.87 Dorance Armstrong - OLB / Edge Kansas 6’4” / 250

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okskx3uJqKs&t=197s

Armstrong possesses great size & get off for an outside pass rusher. He would most likely go much higher in the draft if his production in his Junior season, which dipped, matched his Sophmore numbers. Some of the other accolades are good character, solid work ethic, great motor, and consistent. The drop in sack production from 10 to 2 from his Sophmore to Junior season can be attributed to a scheme change and that the coaching staff wanted him to key on the run first. And, he was doubled more often as a Junior than as a Sophmore. He improved his run defense each of his 3 seasons. I believe Armstrong has the highest ceiling of any of the Edge rushers on the board at this point.

4.11 Frank Ragnow – Center Arkansas 6’5” / 312

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3vll3-EH4&t=172s

If it weren’t for an ankle injury mid-season last year, Ragnow would be the Center receiving the hype that Billy Price (Ohio St) and James Daniels (Iowa) have been getting. In his shortened Senior season, Ragnow only gave up 3 QB pressures in 488 snaps, and only 27 in 2603 snaps over his entire career. These numbers are much better than Price. In addition to his stout play protecting on pass plays, he is mobile and agile enough to Pull and get out front and reach the second level. For Ragnow to be available in the 4th round will be a guess on my part that there will be a run on defenders in the 3rd round.

4.35 Jaylen Samuels - RB / H-Back N/C State 5’11” / 230

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HGHiaNsl4

Samuels is my favorite pick of all. He’s the only offensive skill player I like that can offer McVay a player that can be used in all formations and sets. He was a TD machine at N/C State. He scored 46 TD’s over his career. He played running back, H-back, TE, wide receiver, in the slot, wildcat. His pass catching and ability to turn into a runner are seamless. Note the play on the video at approx.. the :52 second mark with him in the slot. He runs up field, stops, faces the QB, catches the ball and pivots into a runner all in 1 motion. And then ran down field for approx. 70 yards before he was caught. He ran a 4.64/40 at the combine but on the plays where he is a running back, he shows a good burst to get to the outside. He is also hard to bring down at 230 lbs. by defensive backs. Why I’ve heard no one else talk about him leaves me baffled.

Also, you can see Samuel’s smoothness as a pass catcher as he runs the gauntlet at the combine. See below video for TE Dissly. Samuels is at the 8:20 mark.

4.36 Brandon Parker - OT No Carolina A&T 6’7” / 309

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUuY8mO-tDM

Parker is an FCS player reached success with his team and also performed well when he was invited to the Senior Bowl. He showed he could compete with elite players. He has quick feet, strength and power to compete at the next level. I don’t see him as a project.

6.2 Christian Sam - ILB Arizona St. 6’1” / 240

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sA2x5c0_8

Sam lead the Pac-12 in tackles as a Junior. And, he was ranked 7th nationally with 10.6 tackles per game. He has good size for a MLB, has good quickness and range for covering sideline to sideline, is a good tackler and is not a liability in coverage. Sam has the skills to compete now for one of the ILB positions.

6.9 Will Dissly - TE Washington 6’4” / 265

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYVbyaH1E3U

I believe the TE group needs to be augmented in one way or the other. Since the Rams are not drafting high enough to get a tall, fast pass catcher, then the best blocker available will do. No pun intended. There isn’t much tape on Dissly. I am only going on Mike Mayock’s assestment of Dissly that he is “the best blocking TE in the Draft, and he won’t hurt you in passing game.” I am actually impressed by Dissly’s level of comfort catching the ball with his hands while on the move. You can see it in the video of the gauntlet ; he doesn’t waver while running in line and doesn’t slow down and doesn’t let the passes into his body. You compare Dissly to Gesicki, who runs after him, and you see a guy who slows down and appears not as comfortable with catching while running a straight line. Dissly would be an upgrade over any of the other TE’s as far as blocking is concerned.

Note: Dissly running the gauntlet is at the 7:05 mark.

6.20 Troy Apke - Safety Penn St. 6’1” / 206

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPhQBYK-sI

Here is my second favorite pick. I talked about losing Cody Davis…. Apke is Cody Davis 2.0

He is about the same size and is also fast ; he ran a 4.35 / 40 at the combine. Apke was invited to play in the NFLPA Bowl and wound up being the MVP. On tape, he appears to be aggressive, yet smart and is a good tackler. Rams will not lose anything on special teams with Apke replacing Davis.

6.21 Joe Ostman - OLB / Edge Central Michigan 6’3” / 260

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ww1BoNQPc

Here is our second OLB/Edge player. Ostman is under the radar coming from an FCS school, but his production is major league. Lead the nation in sacks as senior. Has a relentless motor, is strong as an Ox for his size, and has an assortment of pass rush moves to get to the QB. I think Ostman is good enough to challenge for playing time with the first unit as a Rookie.

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Todd Gurley

XWR: Brandon Cooks

ZWR: Robert Woods

SLWR: Cooper Kupp

TE: Higbee / Dissly

LT: Andrew Whitworth

LG: Rodger Saffold

C: John Sullivan

RG: Jamon Brown

RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers

NT: N. Suh

DT: Aaron Donald

WOLB: Samson Ekuban

WILB: Mark Barron

SILB: Ramik Wilson

SOLB: Dorance Armstrong

LCB: Marcus Peters

RCB: Aqib Talib

SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman

FS: LaMarcus Joyner

SS: John Johnson III

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Only thing I see is a lack of guards. Saffold and Brown both approaching free agency with Saffold hitting the magic 30 year old mark. And we aren't adding anything at guard with this. I'd wager at least one will be drafted, IMO over a TE that won't see the field.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm with Old School here re the guard situation, but either the RB or TE pick could be changed out.

Other than that, nice work.

I'm an Armstrong fan and had him in my mock as well. I think he can play in this league and I think it's realistic that the Rams will have a shot at him. Actually, I liked ALL of your LB picks, especially Ostman. Those are 2 pretty good prospects coming out of the 6th round.

You have a couple of solid day 3 picks for the OL as well. Regardless of where they have him ranked, I don't think there are many GMs who don't think ragnow is gonna have an NFL career. Parker has the size and showed well at the senior bowl, which is always a good sign.

Nice to see a safety in your draft too. I think the Rams are gonna want more than just camp bodies at safety this year. I think they will be looking to add somebody better than what's already on the roster not named Joyner.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Only thing I see is a lack of guards. Saffold and Brown both approaching free agency with Saffold hitting the magic 30 year old mark. And we aren't adding anything at guard with this. I'd wager at least one will be drafted, IMO over a TE that won't see the field.

Ragnow can play Guard too, however, I concur would like a true guard, but Blythe showcased last season that he can play Guard, even thought I would rather have him at center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not my cup of tea. I think Ragnow is a phenomenal player, but I'd be surprised if he's there in the 4th. I think Armstrong is a JAG. I don't see a winning trait. Samuels is an intriguing player. I think Parker is the most likely OT for us, but he is a project. He needs to add weight and strength before he can get the job done in the NFL. He doesn't have the bend to withstand the violent, power rushers without adding bulk, strength, and anchor. He's also fairly raw technically because He could get by on size and athleticism against his level of competition.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Every mock has a different rush lb in the 3rd round it will be interesting to see who the Rams choose.

I am a huge Ragnow fan, but I have never seen him make it to the 4th not sure I have ever seen him make it to a late 3rd.

Overall I love your diversity of positions especially ST and a blocking TE really smart.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice work, I have to admit, several of the players I was not familiar with so I appreciate all the write ups!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Nicely done, I would not be disappointed as a Rams fan if the draft shook out like this. and where did you find Ostman??? his film, albeit against lesser competition, shows me more than any film I've seen to date. Dude is a straight up late round gem. Would fill in for Fox nicely. Splits double teams, does loops, bends around OT's, plethora of moves, actually sheds blocks (!), takes down ball carriers with authority. What's not to like? I don't care about the quality of competition, his floor is pretty high, though he may have a low ceiling - he may be maxed out on skills & build.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Nicely done, I would not be disappointed as a Rams fan if the draft shook out like this. and where did you find Ostman??? his film, albeit against lesser competition, shows me more than any film I've seen to date. Dude is a straight up late round gem. Would fill in for Fox nicely. Splits double teams, does loops, bends around OT's, plethora of moves, actually sheds blocks (!), takes down ball carriers with authority. What's not to like? I don't care about the quality of competition, his floor is pretty high, though he may have a low ceiling - he may be maxed out on skills & build.

I too am a huge Osterman fan. Hope lasts to the 6th rd.

Ram65

Legend
It would not surprise me if Rams jump up to take him. He is on a lot of teams radar. I like him as a 3-4 OLB. Plays the run well along with rushing the passer. Former state champ wrestle in high school.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/...tmans-winning-work-ethic-will-help-him-thrive

..............Ostman wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine, but at his pro day the 6’2”, 254 pound prospect ran a 4.75 second 40-yard dash, completed 31 reps on the bench press, a 7.06 second 3-cone drill, a 10’2” broad jump and a 36.5” vertical jump. His bench press, broad jump, vertical jump and 3-cone drill would have ranked top 10 among all defensive linemen at the Combine.............

..................“I think that I could play best at 3-4 outside linebacker, stand up, rushing off the edge,” he said. “I love to rush the passer, play defense, but really, I just love to play football and can play whatever anyone wants me to play. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to play and eventually start. I’ve been worked out at defensive line, linebacker and even fullback. I’ll let NFL teams decide where I play and I’ll do my best wherever they want me.”...............................

4.35 Jaylen Samuels - RB / H-Back N/C State 5’11” / 230

Like him but, is he a smaller Everett?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would not surprise me if Rams jump up to take him. He is on a lot of teams radar. I like him as a 3-4 OLB. Plays the run well along with rushing the passer. Former state champ wrestle in high school.

I'm only one guy with an opinion, but I didn't love Ostman as an edge rusher. Some teams are considering him as a FB. I didn't see a trait that would consistently win at the NFL level. JMO. He certainly brings intensity and effort, though. Then again, in the 6th round, nothing wrong with the kid as a rotational player.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I'm only one guy with an opinion, but I didn't love Ostman as an edge rusher. Some teams are considering him as a FB. I didn't see a trait that would consistently win at the NFL level. JMO. He certainly brings intensity and effort, though. Then again, in the 6th round, nothing wrong with the kid as a rotational player.

I really love Ostman. This kid is a baller. More I read about him more I really like him. He and Nwosu have been 2 consistent players I have wanted.

Ram65

Legend

You are probably right. I was thinking rotational player. It will be fun to see where he gets drafted and how he gets used. He does have some solid FB measurements and played TE in high school.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Some nice players here....like Ragnow....love Apke....like Sam....

Osman is intriquing....need to see more...

Parker...meh....Armstong...double meh

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
Love the Samuels pick I believe mcvay could make him a productive player.

nighttrain

Legend
to replace Davis
Troy Apke - Safety Penn St. 6’1” / 206
sounds like he could do it
TRAIN