8to12 Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Preface: As most will agree, the Offense has regressed in point scoring. There are a few reasons for it. The only area where they improved over the year before was yards per carry in the Run game. And, I think this can be improved with better blocking, especially by the TE’s. On Defense, we lose the D/C which took the Rams to a #1 ranking. Since we don’t know what the new hire can do yet, I can only try to replace what players are obviously going to be lost due to negative cap balance the Rams are in. Also, will address the Return game on Special teams. There will be no room to sign anyone in house or from the outside without major cuts and restructures. I will plan on the Cap being settled at 185 million for this Mock. Rams are over the Cap at this time of approx. 21-Mil with 5-Mi carry over from last season.

Cut:

Pre-June 1 - Brian Allen, Nasimba Webster, Justin Lawler, Kendal Blanton, Donte Deayon, Colin Holba, Brandon Wright

Post-June 1 - Michael Brockers

Total savings in cuts- 11.7 Mil

Restructure:
Aaron Donald
Jalen Ramsey

Restructure savings – 23 Mil

Departng FA’s:

John Johnson III
Josh Reynolds
Leonard Floyd
Samsun Ebukam
Austin Blythe
Gerald Everett
Troy Hill
Johnny Mundt

Resign:

Morgan Fox
Malcom Brown
Darius Williams – 2nd Rnd tender
Travin Howard
Coleman Shelton
Jake McQuaid
Derek Rivers

Outside FA’s:

Daryl Willams RT – Bills
1611553428044.png

Willams was a rock for the Bills offense this year and will provide an upgrade over Havenstein. The Bills have given their LT big money and have Matt Milano to sign and he is a higher priority.

Jihad Ward DE – Ravens
1611553473230.png

Ward will provide DL rotation depth with Brockers gone. He has a similar build to Brockers but will be a slight downgrade at the poisiton, but the price is right.

Player Trade:
Rams send Rob Havenstein

Vikings send 4th Rnd (#115)

Draft:
Rams hold 8 picks at the start of the draft.

4 of their own, 3 comp, and 1 trade (Vikings)

Trades :
(trade up)

Rams send #57, #115, and 2022 4th rnd
Lions send #41

(trade up)

Rams send #88 & #101
Falcons send #68

(trade down)

Rams send #96
Vikings send #109 & #151

Rams own 7 selections after trades

Rnd 2 pick #41 Edge Jaelen Phillips - Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mD2JQOPvZQ

Phillips has prototypical size for an Edge defender. He is strong at setting the edge and his hand usage is fully developed ; he is Pro ready. He falls into the second round and the Rams pull the trigger with a trade up. He is about the closest thing to replacing Leonard Floyd without spending big in free agency.

Rnd 3 pick #68 Center Josh Meyers – Ohio St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRnN-E262Jk

This pick is the most obvious, Everyone seems to agree an upgrade at Center is a must for the long haul even if Austin Corbett is moved there for the 2021 season.

Rnd 3 pick #108 (Comp) WR Dazz Newsome – North Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkbs-kqg1q0

Newsome is 5’11” – 190 lbs ; has mainly played out of the slot. But he has the speed to get behind the defense. He also is a talented punt returner. He has great change of direction, shiftiness. He can be WR4 until a legit “Deep threat” can be found to play on the outside. He provides an improvement in dynamic play making ability compared to Josh Reynolds.

Rnd 3 pick #109 (from Vikings) TE Noah Gray - Duke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JqQ-jz58cE

Gray provides an upgrade in blocking over Everett and Mundt. Although, at 6’4” – 240lbs, he will most likely be the move TE or H back. He will not be able to drive larger players, but he will be able to block in space and seal off larger players at the LOS. He played all over the formation for Duke, split out, inline off the LOS, in the backfield. He was the QB’s most trusted receiver in the offense.

Rnd 5 pick #151 S Reed Blankenship – Middle Tennessee St.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8siyqwlyz4

Blankenship will help replenish the Safety group with the FA loss off JJ. He has great range which will allow the Rams options like moving Fuller closer to the LOS in certain packages leaving Blankenship as a single high. He has good ball skills and is a fundamentally sound tackler. He will provide speed on special teams units. I hope he doesn’t shine at the Senior Bowl so he stays under the radar.

Rnd 6 pick #205 CB Darren Hall – San Diego St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBhyfcSCpaA

There are other CB’s available here that are from larger schools and that are more popular. But, after watching Hall’s tape, I see a great football player. He’s great in coverage, plays with a swagger, sticks his nose in running plays, and was a productive blitzer. His play reminds me of Darius Williams. In 2019 he lead the NCAA in pass deflections, and in 2020 had 2 INT’s and 9 PD’s.

Rnd 7 pick #248 TE John Bates – Boise St

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqh4MDvJAq8

John Bates…..who? Yes, he may be the best TE you have never heard of. The video is Zach Ertz breaking down his game. Also, he was invited to the Senior Bowl. I am not sure why nobody has this guy listed on their Big Board and/or Mock draft. For the Rams, he would be TE3, or Higbee’s back up. He can play inline, has great blocking technique in the running game. He also displays legitimate speed to get upfield, can run routes and has average to good hands. The TE room has been upgraded!

Roster:

Offense-

QB- Jared Goff, John Wolford

RB- Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson, Malcolm Brown, Xavier Jones

WR- Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Dazz Newsome

TE- Tyler Higbee, Brycen Hopkins, Noah Gray, John Bates

OL- Andrew Whitworth, David Edwards, Josh Meyers, Austin Corbett, Daryl Williams, Joseph Noteboom, Bobby Evans, Chandler Brewer, Tremayne Anchrum

Defense-

DL- Aaron Donald, Greg Gaines, Joseph-Day, A’Shawn Robinson, Morgan Fox, Jihad Ward

OLB- Terell Lewis, Jaelen Phillips, Obo Okoronkwo, Justin Hollins, Derek Rivers

ILB- Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, Troy Reeder, Travin Howard,

CB- Jalen Ramsey, Darious Williams, David Long, Darren Hall

Safety- Taylor Rapp, Jordan Fuller, Terrell Burgess, Reed Blankenship, Nick Scott

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting mock. I need to take a look at John Bates after how highly you've spoken of him. I've been trying to find a TE in this Draft who would fit well on Day 3. Tommy Tremble and Matt Bushman are the two I've identified so far. Maybe Bates will be the third. Here are my criticisms:
1. We traded our 2022 4th in the Cooks deal.
2. Doesn't Phillips's injury history worry you in light of Terrell Lewis also having a lengthy injury history?
3. Why spend the money on a FA RT when Havenstein is a top 10 player at this position and already is on the roster?
4. Why Dazz Newsome? He didn't strike me as a guy capable of being a deep threat. He seems like more of what we already have. I could understand spending a late round pick on a guy like that for depth, but a third seems like a mistake to me.
5. I didn't like Noah Gray. He was a serviceable blocker but lacked the sand in his pants to generate movement on NFL edge defenders. And while he was surehanded, I didn't see the movement skills needed to be a major passing game weapon. He struck me as a lot like Mundt. I didn't see a guy deserving of a third or fourth round pick.

On the plus side, if we did go for a Center, I think Josh Myers makes a lot of sense. My concern there is over whether McVay would start a rookie at the pivot. But ultimately, we could have Myers compete at Guard and then slide over to Center next year if McVay is uncomfortable with that. Additionally, Blankenship and Hall are interesting Day 3 picks. I've heard a lot of good things about Blankenship. I've been trying to find MTSU games to watch. I'll need to add Hall to my list. Good work!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting mock. I need to take a look at John Bates after how highly you've spoken of him. I've been trying to find a TE in this Draft who would fit well on Day 3. Tommy Tremble and Matt Bushman are the two I've identified so far. Maybe Bates will be the third. Here are my criticisms:
1. We traded our 2022 4th in the Cooks deal.
2. Doesn't Phillips's injury history worry you in light of Terrell Lewis also having a lengthy injury history?
3. Why spend the money on a FA RT when Havenstein is a top 10 player at this position and already is on the roster?
4. Why Dazz Newsome? He didn't strike me as a guy capable of being a deep threat. He seems like more of what we already have. I could understand spending a late round pick on a guy like that for depth, but a third seems like a mistake to me.
5. I didn't like Noah Gray. He was a serviceable blocker but lacked the sand in his pants to generate movement on NFL edge defenders. And while he was surehanded, I didn't see the movement skills needed to be a major passing game weapon. He struck me as a lot like Mundt. I didn't see a guy deserving of a third or fourth round pick.

On the plus side, if we did go for a Center, I think Josh Myers makes a lot of sense. My concern there is over whether McVay would start a rookie at the pivot. But ultimately, we could have Myers compete at Guard and then slide over to Center next year if McVay is uncomfortable with that. Additionally, Blankenship and Hall are interesting Day 3 picks. I've heard a lot of good things about Blankenship. I've been trying to find MTSU games to watch. I'll need to add Hall to my list. Good work!

First, my apologies for not acknowledging your reply. I think I read it late one night before bed and forgot to respond.
1) I didn't realize the 4th from 2022 had already been traded. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
2) Phillips: The injured wrist from his accident didn't seem to hamper his play in 2020. I presume most clubs will give him a passing physical.
3) Trading Havenstein: you are probably right, in hindsight signing an outside FA RT when you already have one seems pointless. However, At the time I wrote it, I was very concerned about lack of draft capital.
4. Newsome: Yes, he is not a guy with deep speed to play on the outside. I was enamored with his change of direction and ability to make defenders miss in the return game.
5 TE Gray: in hindsight, yes, he is not great at any one thing. I see him as a move TE ; sealing off defenders as opposed to driving them. He reminded of Pete Holohan from the 80's.... a QB's security blanket. He is a smart player... will always execute the block and be where is supposed to be in the passing game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2) Phillips: The injured wrist from his accident didn't seem to hamper his play in 2020. I presume most clubs will give him a passing physical.

I was referring to him medically retiring at UCLA due to concussions (I believe).

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was referring to him medically retiring at UCLA due to concussions (I believe).
I was aware of just one concussion. I see now that an SI article lists "multiple" concussions. As far as I knew, the accident on his Moped is what did most of the damage (wrist).