8to12 Camp report Sat 8/04

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Sorry for the late report ...............

Warm day like usual .... 85 degrees with a slight breeze

Players not dressed: Lamarcus Joyner, Travin Howard (LB), Gerald Everett (no on field that I could see)

Difficult day to follow & evaluate the 11-on-11 scrimmaging. Many players were being moved in and out of each group of 1's & 2's, offense & defense. For example, on the first play of 11-on-11, Johnny Mundt lined up as FB with the second team offense, then lined up as an inline TE on the next play, then he was off the field with 3 or 4 other offensive players.

Practice started on the near field for me with Punt return. There would be 2 up field players (blockers) in line (horizontally).... then when the ball is in the air the larger blocker moves laterially to line himself up with the punt returner in a vertical line upfield along with the smaller blocker doing same falling into the space equal distant between the 2 players. They are all in alignment verically as the returner catches the ball and starts upfield. The blockers then break off from the alignment to make their blocks. The returners were P. Cooper, MIke Thomas, Steven Mitchell, and Jojo Natson. Jojo would remind you of Tavon Austin ; small with quickness.

In other individual drill, the TE's worked on blocking with the O-line, then broke off to take passes versus air. The took turns in sequence that I thought to be their spot on the depth chart ; HIgbee first, Hemingway second, Mundt third, Kreiger-Koble fourth, and Cody McElroy last. Should be noted that After Hemingway, Mundt seems to have run the best routes and have the best hands of all the other TE's. He looks natural as opposed to McElroy, who is more long legged and seems to Lumber around.

In WR vs CB drills, Cooper Kupp beat Robey-Coleman 3 straight times for completions. Coleman looked frustrated after the third one. Reynolds schooled Sam Shields with a stop and pivot move . Shields was riding him with his body to the outside when Reynolds stopped on a dime, came up out of his crouch and cut inside while Shields kept moving to the outside. It was an OH WOW moment. Mike Thomas was looking smooth running his routes and catching the ball. He is looking more consistent then he has in the past.
Woods and Cooks were their usual..... unstoppable against the DB's

After individual drills, the Offense worked on Reverses. The WR would come around the back side of the QB to receive the toss. Then they worked some Dbl reverse with the RB receiving a toss and then tossing it to the WR coming the opposite way. They ran one of these in 11-on-11 with Woods being faked the toss, then play action with Woods then catching a wheel route for a TD from 20 yards out.

During 11-on-11's, for many plays, the second team offense had Noteboom (LOT), Demby (LG) and Brian Allen at Center. They seemed to hold their own when Brockers and Suh were on the field. Mannion made a couple of nice completions. He hit Reynolds on an 18 yard crossing pattern against the first team D.

Interesting note regarding 2nd team Defense ; on many plays, they had T. Young, DT Smart and DT Day with J. Lawler all down with their hands in the dirt and all within the OT's. They had 2 LB's with 5 DB's. It must have an experiment with a 4-2-5 (Nickel)
On some plays, MIcah Kiser and Tegray Scales were playing MLB with the second team.

ON a play in 11-11, MIcah Kiser blitzed and blew up John Kelly trying to protect. The collision knocked Kelly's helmet off. That was the play of the day for me.

After seeing 2 practices, the one thing that jumps out at me is how the first team Receivers are catching passes at a very high percentage rate. In individual and 7-on-7 drills, the CB's can't cover the Rams receivers. I don't know what to think about that at this point.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Sorry for the late report ...............

Warm day like usual .... 85 degrees with a slight breeze

Players not dressed: Lamarcus Joyner, Travin Howard (LB), Gerald Everett (no on field that I could see)

Difficult day to follow & evaluate the 11-on-11 scrimmaging. Many players were being moved in and out of each group of 1's & 2's, offense & defense. For example, on the first play of 11-on-11, Johnny Mundt lined up as FB with the second team offense, then lined up as an inline TE on the next play, then he was off the field with 3 or 4 other offensive players.

Practice started on the near field for me with Punt return. There would be 2 up field players (blockers) in line (horizontally).... then when the ball is in the air the larger blocker moves laterially to line himself up with the punt returner in a vertical line upfield along with the smaller blocker doing same falling into the space equal distant between the 2 players. They are all in alignment verically as the returner catches the ball and starts upfield. The blockers then break off from the alignment to make their blocks. The returners were P. Cooper, MIke Thomas, Steven Mitchell, and Jojo Natson. Jojo would remind you of Tavon Austin ; small with quickness.

In other individual drill, the TE's worked on blocking with the O-line, then broke off to take passes versus air. The took turns in sequence that I thought to be their spot on the depth chart ; HIgbee first, Hemingway second, Mundt third, Kreiger-Koble fourth, and Cody McElroy last. Should be noted that After Hemingway, Mundt seems to have run the best routes and have the best hands of all the other TE's. He looks natural as opposed to McElroy, who is more long legged and seems to Lumber around.

In WR vs CB drills, Cooper Kupp beat Robey-Coleman 3 straight times for completions. Coleman looked frustrated after the third one. Reynolds schooled Sam Shields with a stop and pivot move . Shields was riding him with his body to the outside when Reynolds stopped on a dime, came up out of his crouch and cut inside while Shields kept moving to the outside. It was an OH WOW moment. Mike Thomas was looking smooth running his routes and catching the ball. He is looking more consistent then he has in the past.

After individual drills, the Offense worked on Reverses. The WR would come around the back side of the QB to receive the toss. Then they worked some Dbl reverse with the RB receiving a toss and then tossing it to the WR coming the opposite way. They ran one of these in 11-on-11 with Woods being faked the toss, then play action with Woods then catching a wheel route for a TD from 20 yards out.

During 11-on-11's, for many plays, the second team offense had Noteboom (LOT), Demby (LG) and Brian Allen at Center. They seemed to hold their own when Brockers and Suh were on the field. Mannion made a couple of nice completions. He hit Reynolds on an 18 yard crossing pattern against the first team D.

Interesting note regarding 2nd team Defense ; on many plays, they had T. Young, DT Smart and DT Day with J. Lawler all down with their hands in the dirt and all within the OT's. They had 2 LB's with 5 DB's. It must have an experiment with a 4-2-5 (Nickel)
On some plays, MIcah Kiser and Tegray Scales were playing MLB with the second team.

ON a play in 11-11, MIcah Kiser blitzed and blew up John Kelly trying to protect. The collision knocked Kelly's helmet off. That was the play of the day for me.

After seeing 2 practices, the one thing that jumps out at me is how the first team Receivers are catching passes at a very high percentage rate. In individual and 7-on-7 drills, the CB's can't cover the Rams receivers. I don't know what to think about that at this point.

Very nice write up, Scott. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Wish I could have made it and met up with you again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still so early but that said....

Thomas is makin a move. He's been gettin good reports for days now. Proud of him too, gotta pull for a dude like that who made his bones as a teams stud.

For a second team center to draw Suh is tough, when it's a rook it's serious. Glad to hear he didn't get trucked, since his strength is his greatest asset.

IMO that TE slot behind Higs/Everett is up for grabs. With Gerald dinged up now is a really fine time to make a move and show what you can do.

I would not risk Thomas on returns, personally. He's got the ability I am sure, but I value him more as a gunner.

Appreciate the report my man. (y)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Dang, 8to12! What an excellent report sprinkled with juicy details.

Can’t thank you enough, man.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked what Reynolds did on the one play. I have liked him since the Rams drafted him and think he could be that red zone guy we need.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, it sure sounds like McVay has his passing O ahead of schedule. Geez, Cooks, Woods, and Kupp have been unstoppable. Even against the 1’s.

And he’s putting in some new wrinkles to keep the D’s honest this year.

Apparently, our TE and OLB depth is gonna be getting lots of snaps due to injury. Hope both stand up and each reveals a gem for the season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it sure sounds like McVay has his passing O ahead of schedule. Geez, Cooks, Woods, and Kupp have been unstoppable. Even against the 1’s.

And he’s putting in some new wrinkles to keep the D’s honest this year.

Apparently, our TE and OLB depth is gonna be getting lots of snaps due to injury. Hope both stand up and each reveals a gem for the season.
The other side is that Goff was equally unstoppable. From what Miles says, it was Goff's best throwing day in camp, as a pro.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
During 11-on-11's, for many plays, the second team offense had Noteboom (LOT), Demby (LG) and Brian Allen at Center. They seemed to hold their own when Brockers and Suh were on the field.

Very interesting.

If Noteboom can emerge as a fallback option at LOT this year, that’s huge. I pretty much assumed Saffold is 1A for 2018. Maybe still is.

Also interesting your vibe on the passing efficiency.

Well done, @8to12

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A Johnny Mundt sighting....Nice, not sure about Mundt blocking, but there should be little debate of his ability to catch the football.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to share this exciting news with those of us who cannot be there! It is truly appreciated

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx for the report 12, I couldn't be there, had to go see Elecetric Light Orchestra. We parked at the Forum. We parked right next to the new stadium. I was surprised to see construction crews working at 6:00pm on a Saturday. Cranes moving girders and welding on the superstructure.

ELO sounded terrific. Played for 2 1/2 hrs, 22 songs.

My first concert was at the Forum 50 years ago in 1968. Allman Bros., Janis Joplin and Flying Burrito Bros. My how time flies!
in 1968

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Still so early but that said....

Thomas is makin a move. He's been gettin good reports for days now. Proud of him too, gotta pull for a dude like that who made his bones as a teams stud.

For a second team center to draw Suh is tough, when it's a rook it's serious. Glad to hear he didn't get trucked, since his strength is his greatest asset.

IMO that TE slot behind Higs/Everett is up for grabs. With Gerald dinged up now is a really fine time to make a move and show what you can do.

I would not risk Thomas on returns, personally. He's got the ability I am sure, but I value him more as a gunner.

Appreciate the report my man. (y)
I think the 3rd TE spot is Hemmingway's to lose. The injury to Gerald sure gives the other TE a chance at getting more reps.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Natson kid looks interesting. Tavon-like.... but he seems like a more natural WR and he takes his returns North/South.

If they really like him, any chance Michael Thomas or even Pharoh Cooper could be dealt if they play well in preseason?

Just not sure how important a #6 WR is and I am assuming Reynolds is #4.

View: https://youtu.be/pFKBChoI_LY

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The Natson kid looks interesting. Tavon-like.... but he seems like a more natural WR and he takes his returns North/South.

If they really like him, any chance Michael Thomas or even Pharoh Cooper could be dealt if they play well in preseason?

Cooper is staying. Stud return man if nothing else he'll be a solid backup

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Trade Pharoah? You're still not over the Tavon experiment are you? If Natson can return then he'll be a nice back up. No way I get rid of Cooper.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trade Pharoah? You're still not over the Tavon experiment are you? If Natson can return then he'll be a nice back up. No way I get rid of Cooper.

Probably thinking more about Thomas here...

Ram65

Legend

Cooper Kupp is a dog!

Mike Thomas giving Reynolds a run for 4th WR. Nice to read he make a great move. Rams could have the best 3, 4,5 and 6 WR groups in the NFL.

Got build on the fake reverse now going to Cooks and other. Keep'em guessing Sean.

Great news on the rookies and Mannion.

Good and bad. First highlight mentioned on Kiser. He looked like a natural blitzer in college. Looking forward to see blitzes coming from everywhere this year!

A+ on the report @8to12 .