49ers Waive Kendal Hunter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
This is probably why.
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_26221852/49ers-no-2-running-back-kendall-hunter-tears
49ers' No. 2 running back Kendall Hunter tears ACL
By Cam Inman

cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com

POSTED: 07/26/2014 10:00:26 AM PDT0 COMMENTS| UPDATED: 9 DAYS AGO

SANTA CLARA -- Kendall Hunter, the 49ers' No. 2 running back since 2011, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Friday at practice, the team confirmed Saturday morning.

Candidates to become Frank Gore's top understudy are LaMichael James, Carlos Hyde, Jewel Hampton and Marcus Lattimore, who's on the non-football-injury list but has been doing conditioning drills on a side field in training camp.

Hunter was entering the final season of his rookie contract. He was hurt catching a swing pass from Blaine Gabbert in 7-on-7, noncontact drills. Hunter's knee buckled as cornerback Perrish Cox closed in on the play.

San Francisco 49ers' Kendall Hunter (32) runs for 45 yards against the Atlanta Falcons in the fourth quarter at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, Calif. on Monday, Dec. 23, 2013. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group) ( Nhat V. Meyer )

Hunter ran for a career-low 358 yards last season. He had only 78 carries, just six more than his his injury-shortened 2012 season. He had 112 carries for a career-high 473 yards as a rookie, then followed with 371 yards in 2012 before his injury.

He joins several teammates recovering from ACL tears: Lattimore (non-football-injury list), linebacker NaVorro Bowman (physically-unable-to-perform list), guard Brandon Thomas (NFI), cornerback Keith Reaser (NFI) and fullback Trey Millard (NFI).

Thomas, Reaser and Millard all were drafted in May after their ACL surgeries. Last year, the 49ers drafted defensive lineman Tank Carradine in the second round despite his having undergone season-ending ACL surgery. Carradine now is making his training camp debut.

The 49ers haven't had much recent success returning players from ACL tears. Linebacker Darius Fleming retore his ACL a year ago in camp and was subsequently released. Kyle Williams returned last season from his 2012 ACL tear, but he was released at midseason.

Mario Manningham had a short-lived comeback last season from his December 2012 ACL tear. He debuted Nov. 10 in a loss to Carolina, and his comeback was cut short after six games (nine catches, 85 yards) when his knee became aggravated. He went on injured reserve Dec. 27 and missed his second straight postseason.

The 49ers also lost wide receiver Brandon Carswell to an ACL tear on his first day of practice upon being signed in June 2013.

Irish

Starter
Is his rehab covered by the NFL? Are the Niners liable for his health and recovery?

Alan

Legend
Irish wondering about health coverage:
Is his rehab covered by the NFL? Are the Niners liable for his health and recovery?
He's covered but it's only immediate coverage. In other words, he'll get his knee fixed but any long term effects he suffers will be on him.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Holy and the injuries continue. They just keep getting weaker.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He's covered but it's only immediate coverage. In other words, he'll get his knee fixed but any long term effects he suffers will be on him.
I think there will also be an injury settlement

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with this:
I think there will also be an injury settlement
It's in all contracts. I wonder what type of percentage it is. Or even if it is a percentage.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think it's something between half and a full season's base pay depending on how the contract's been negotiated. Considering it was a rookie contract, probably closer to half, but I dunno.

It's not unreasonable when you consider that guys expose themselves and they DO lose entire seasons even prior to preseason games. Without a substantial settlement, the player won't have the resources to rehab and try to get back. And most guys don't make millions of dollars...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno. I like Tre Mason. His speed is gonna force defenses to make decisions.

Teams will get burned with play action and they know it. Safeties will be made to look bad against us. I think Stacy and Mason... And Cunningham, btw, will give teams a really hard time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They negotiate a settlement....Oops, edit, didn't see all the responses.

Makes sense with Hyde. This may mean Lattimore is a lil closer to being ready too.

ABIGRAMFAN

UDFA
Name
ABIGRAMFAN
I live in the SF bay area, Hunter was really good. 9ers are having a lot of injuries. Lemichael James dislocated his elbow and is out for a month. He dislocated it in college too, I saw it happen, UGLEEEEEEEEE

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
So
I live in the SF bay area, Hunter was really good. 9ers are having a lot of injuries. Lemichael James dislocated his elbow and is out for a month. He dislocated it in college too, I saw it happen, UGLEEEEEEEEE
Sounds as if he is injury prone...