49ers have 12 offensive coaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Offensive meaning they're in charge of running the offense not being offensive but then again maybe they are. :sneaky:
----------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-offense-despite-having-12-offensive-coaches/

49ers struggling on offense despite having 12 offensive coaches
Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2014

harbaugh.jpg
Getty Images

The 49ers managed only three points against the Seahawks on Thursday night from the 11 offensive players on the field.

And from the 12 offensive coaches off the field.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee takes a closer look at the unusually high number of coaches employed by Jim Harbaugh to run the side of the ball charged with gaining yards and scoring points. There are 12 of them. (See the article posted below).

The analysis comes at a time when offensive coordinator Greg Roman has become the pin cushion for everything that ails the team, even though Harbaugh ultimately runs the show and hired Roman.

Harbaugh and his dozen helpers get a chance to score more than three points against the Raiders on Sunday, a game that caps a week that surely will entail plenty of chatter about Harbaugh possibly becoming the head coach in Oakland after the 2014 season ends. With Oakland losing 52-0 in St. Louis on Sunday, Raiders fans surely will be giving a very warm welcome to the guy whose coaching career began with the Raiders.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article4199663.html

On 49ers: Too many cooks spoiling Harbaugh’s offense
BY MATT BARROWS

kapconfusedPK.JPG

Parting ways with a coach with a .716 winning percentage and one year left on his contract always was going to be a tough sell for Jed York and the 49ers.

Jim Harbaugh is making it easier.

The issue between Harbaugh and the 49ers’ front office has long been viewed – from the outside, at least – as a clash of personalities, which to fans is a flimsy reason for getting rid of a successful head coach. Now the front office can point to a practical and unassailable Harbaugh shortcoming if he’s let go: He’s in charge of the 49ers’ offense and the offense stinks.

Sure, firing offensive coordinator Greg Roman would be an easy option and would satisfy the blood-lust of the fan base. And it might even appear effective with the one-win Raiders next on the schedule.

But it’s hard to see how dumping Roman with four games remaining would make any meaningful difference. Roman certainly is the most prominent piece of the offensive staff and deserves blame for the team’s recent struggles on offense, but he’s just a piece. Receivers coach John Morton has a loud voice when it comes to the 49ers’ passing attack; offensive-line coach Mike Solari holds big sway in the running game.

Roman calls the plays from the coaching booth, but they go through Harbaugh on the sideline. (Theoretically, he has the ability to change plays he doesn’t like, but it’s unclear how often that happens.)

In the end, Harbaugh built the system, assembled the coaching pieces, picked the quarterback and trained the quarterback. Roman is a convenient fall guy. But the ultimate responsibility lies with Harbaugh.

The offensive staff also includes – but is in no way limited to – quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, running backs coach Tom Rathman and tight ends coach Eric Mangini, a two-time former head coach with a defensive background who was brought in to add his two cents to the offense.

The 49ers have a huge and expensive offensive staff. Including Harbaugh and entry-level assistants, they have 12 coaches on offense, which currently ranks 23rd in the NFL in yards per game but is sure to slip in that category after this week’s slate of games. By contrast, they have six coaches on their No. 3-ranked defense with coordinator Vic Fangio doubling as the outside linebackers coach.

The problem is that the sprawling offensive staff has created a complex and byzantine offensive system. The 49ers are bad on offense not because of one individual but because so many different individuals have a say. It’s like asking a dozen people to make one omelet. Too many cooks spoil the dish and too many assistants stop the offense.

The 49ers’ system has an abundance of moving parts and no real identity. They began the recent Seahawks contest in a typical fashion. On first down, two tight ends, including blocker Garrett Celek, were in the game, and Frank Gore gained 7 yards on the ground. On the next play, Celek ran off the field, wide receiver Brandon Lloyd entered and the 49ers lined up three wideouts to one side of the formation.

All the substitutions and personnel packages are designed to keep defenses off-balance. But too often it has that very effect on the 49ers’ offense, which has had trouble finding – and moreover, sustaining – anything resembling a rhythm this season.

The 49ers struggle with sacks (they trail only Jacksonville in sacks allowed), penalties and clock-management issues. They confuse themselves, which should not be happening after nearly four years in the same offense.

Harbaugh and his staff don’t need to work harder to get their offensive system on track, they need to do less. They should aspire to simpler, more cohesive concepts. That will lead to flow, which leads to momentum

And they need to do it quickly. Reaching the playoffs for a fourth straight season probably requires a sweep – including something that today seems impossible: beating the Seahawks in Seattle – over the last four games.

If not, it’s doubtful Harbaugh gets another chance with the 49ers. And it won’t be as tough to sell as everyone predicted.

Read Matt Barrows’ blogs and archives at www.sacbee.com/sf49ers.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
All of the 49ers coaches offen
Offensive meaning they're in charge of running the offense not being offensive but then again maybe they are. :sneaky:
Curses! PT anticipated my smartassery!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Wow, what an asinine excuse to avoid admitting the 49ers just aren't very good. Oh well, I guess it doesn't sell many papers in Sac if you just say that the offense sucks because Krap is a brain-farting douche.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't like Harbaugh, but 3 straight NFC title games and he's expendable?

Ohhhkay then.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LOLZ

I love this. Fucking whiners. Hahahaha

I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my brother in law and his Dad who are die hard Michigan alums. My God they are praying for Har-blah... to the point that they were watch the post game presser for the whiners on Thursday night and actually wanting their beloved wolverines to lose to the hated buckeyes. What misery. I really got a kick out of their delusional behavior.

Fuck the whiners and their POS coach.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Twelve offensive coaches and none of them can teach Gonzo how to throw the ball?

Kaepernick has to be the source because Gore and Hyde are solid running backs. The ball is in Kaepernick's hands every offensive play and he has been struggling lately.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Want a laugh? Check out Kaepernick's stat line against the rival Seahawks.

But you can't judge a QB by his games against one team. Instead I look at a passer who just signed a big extension and is just a few ticks ahead of our own Austin Davis in passer rating.

Great investment by the 49ers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When your main ingredient is Kap, I don't care how many coaches you have. Fail.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Gore and Hyde are solid running backs
Gore *was* solid, but now he's got no tread left on his tires. Plus it's a little early to declare Hyde anything, he's under 4 yds/carry but not gonna call him a bust yet on such a small sample size. Only thing we know for sure is a much better RB went a round later!

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
They gotta blame the coaches otherwise they would have to admit they made a mistake by giving Kap all that money.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't like Harbaugh, but 3 straight NFC title games and he's expendable?

Ohhhkay then.
The record is good but from my understanding he has gone out of his way to try and show up the GM and they have not been on speaking terms for a while now. I don't care how good you are at what you do....never a good idea to piss off your boss.

fearsomefour

Legend
Want a laugh? Check out Kaepernick's stat line against the rival Seahawks.

But you can't judge a QB by his games against one team. Instead I look at a passer who just signed a big extension and is just a few ticks ahead of our own Austin Davis in passer rating.

Great investment by the 49ers.
Yeah, he can't read Ds....never had to in college.
But, they structured the deal in a way where they can walk away without getting killed by the cap long term....which is too bad. But, they are facing the same problem every team is when they need a QB....options. There just are not that many.