3 Silly Things That Fans Say, And Keep Saying, Every Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
In no particular order...

1. "We can't afford to keep/sign him!"
To paraphrase the Bard, there are more ways to move cap dollars around than are dreamt of in the casual fan's philosophy. While cap money is, of course, finite, when it comes to an individual player that a team truly covets, far more often than not a team will find a way to fit the player under the cap. I recall many fans and pundits this year asserting that the Rams would not be able to keep Leonard Floyd... until they did.

2. "We drafted the wrong guy at that spot."
This statement does not, over time, always prove to be wrong. When made immediately after the draft, though, its usually a pretty sill statement. First, we don't know half of what teams' know about the prospects. We can only guess what medical reports, interviews (with the player and those who know him), and hours and hours of live observation/film review might have revealed. As fans, we can only guess, project and, of course, crow about it when the 5th round pick we said would be a star becomes a star!

3. "The league really screwed us on the schedule!"
I've read comments in the past suggesting that the league plays favorites when making the schedule. While there is, of course, a deliberate effort to place contenders and the more marketable teams in prime time/national TV spots, the suggestion that there is a deliberate effort to manipulate outcomes through scheduling decisions is a bit tin-foil-hatish in my mind. Its particularly silly when fans rail about relative strength of schedule figures at the time of the schedule release. First... within any division, the strength of schedule of non-divisional games is generally equal, with a slight stacking based upon where the team finished in the prior year. Second... a quality team last year may not be one this year, and vice versa. Is anyone that worried, for example, about the match-up with Green Bay this year if Aaron Rodgers is gone?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My kind of thread!

It's really more of an all year thing, but when there's anything related to CBA, NFLPA, rule changes, competition committee, etc fans always say the league will lose viewers or the owners are killing the golden goose. Yet every year the draft city and stadiums across the country are packed and tv ratings are still high. NFL events always have a high turnout.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On our rival fan boards

When Goff was our QB:
"Goff sucks"
"Rams are tough but they're weak at QB"
"Stafford's talent is being wasted in Detroit"
"Stafford is a top 10 QB"
"Goff is one of the worst starting QB's in the league"

After Goff/Stafford trade:
"Goff was okay but what has Stafford done?"
"Goff got a raw deal he took them to a Super Bowl"
"Rams got marginally better at QB but payed too much"
"Stafford never won a playoff game"
"Stafford is old"

The hypocrisy & insecurity is hilarious to me.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
a forth silly thing that i do myself is right after the draft i am usually disappointed then i start watching high light film and talk myself into thinking this is the greatest draft ever. i am finally beginning to realize that high light films only show the good plays. i wonder if i didn't watch high lights and only watched game film would still feel the same about the draft. on the other hand that would kind of take some of the fun out of the draft

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On our rival fan boards

"They lost a lot of talent in FA"
"They're in cap Hell"
"They have no draft capital"
"Other than Donald & Ramsey there's no talent on defense"

And my favorite popular narrative even on Rams boards....
"Their reckless ways are going to catch up with them"

Meanwhile, we just had 10 draft picks, sent away several defensive players not named Donald or Ramsey to start for other teams...we haven't had a losing season in 5 years and are currently a Super Bowl contender going into 2021.

Good stuff.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#4 - This kid (insert your draft pick here) is gonna be great! Bank it!

#5 - We're gonna win the super bowl this year!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What I got right with my 2021 Rams Mock :

1) That the Rams would retain Leonard Floyd
2) That the Rams would trade Michael Brockers
3) That the Rams would retain Darious Williams

What I got wrong with my 2021 Rams mock :

1) Every single player I chose for our team
2) That the Rams would lean hard for OL talent

Now that it's over, it is what it is, and no-one will really know for a few years whether our team got it right or not. I'm not going to second guess guys like Snead, Holmes, McVay and the entire cast of characters responsible for assembling our team, now is the time to accept what is and appreciate the hard work that went into it. I am rooted to L.A. by personal history, and by god, they are my team to the end. jmo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
What I got right with my 2021 Rams Mock :

1) That the Rams would retain Leonard Floyd
2) That the Rams would trade Michael Brockers
3) That the Rams would retain Darious Williams

What I got wrong with my 2021 Rams mock :

1) Every single player I chose for our team
2) That the Rams would lean hard for OL talent

Now that it's over, it is what it is, and no-one will really know for a few years whether our team got it right or not. I'm not going to second guess guys like Snead, Holmes, McVay and the entire cast of characters responsible for assembling our team, now is the time to accept what is and appreciate the hard work that went into it. I am rooted to L.A. by personal history, and by god, they are my team to the end. jmo.

A little cowherd reference, maybe, and I agree, floyd and williams were the big priorities. And like you I figured that would be the case. I think JJ and everette leaving were also written on the wall early but fox was probably the most surprising and disappointing loss we had. Maybe tied with losing hill. I still think we will have at least a top 3 defense due to excellent depth but we could go back to back top D with stafford prolonging drives and forcing offenses to pass more.

Mojo hit it right on regarding our 1st round picks and I think mcvay and snead have started another trend in trading 1st rounders for established talent in priority positions of great need. The ramsey trade is a perfect example and stafford will prove to be the same.

This team will be a top 4 ream the next 3 or 4 years, winning a SB or 2.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A little cowherd reference, maybe, and I agree, floyd and williams were the big priorities. And like you I figured that would be the case. I think JJ and everette leaving were also written on the wall early but fox was probably the most surprising and disappointing loss we had. Maybe tied with losing hill. I still think we will have at least a top 3 defense due to excellent depth but we could go back to back top D with stafford prolonging drives and forcing offenses to pass more.

Mojo hit it right on regarding our 1st round picks and I think mcvay and snead have started another trend in trading 1st rounders for established talent in priority positions of great need. The ramsey trade is a perfect example and stafford will prove to be the same.

This team will be a top 4 ream the next 3 or 4 years, winning a SB or 2.

Losing Fox was my greatest disappointment of free agency, especially taking into account what he was signed for. The man definitely produced on limited snaps, I just hope we have someone in the wings ready to step up. jmo.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
This is one is top three for all teams:

"We/They paid way too much for that guy"

OR

"We/They traded way too much for that guy"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Our offense would be amazing if we added a fullback!"

Sam Rodgers says hi from his desk job selling insurance.... the only FB he's ever drafted didn't make McVay's team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
"We're going 20-0, and there's not a fucking thing other teams can do about it!"

Memento.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
"Our offense would be amazing if we added a fullback!"

Sam Rodgers says hi from his desk job selling insurance.... the only FB he's ever drafted didn't make McVay's team.

Rogers was a runt of a FB who had some success at the college level, but by drafting him, McVay did show something of an interest in the position, although so far under both Fisher & McVay we have relied mostly on TE's to block in place of a FB, with rather dismal results. San Fran & Seattle are division rivals who both employ FB's, I had also hoped to add one and he was drafted sooner than anticipated. Perhaps with a little luck Skowrenek can grow into becoming an asset here, as Mundt isn't really getting it done, and now that both Gurley & Brown are gone, RB's who block well is somewhat more questionable. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rogers was a runt of a FB who had some success at the college level, but by drafting him, McVay did show something of an interest in the position, although so far under both Fisher & McVay we have relied mostly on TE's to block in place of a FB, with rather dismal results. San Fran & Seattle are division rivals who both employ FB's, I had also hoped to add one and he was drafted sooner than anticipated. Perhaps with a little luck Skowrenek can grow into becoming an asset here, as Mundt isn't really getting it done, and now that both Gurley & Brown are gone, RB's who block well is somewhat more questionable. jmo.
And post Rodgers he's yet to use anything but a TE in the backfield with a RB. And yet every year there are people who say we're going ot add one because it will make the offense even better, while McVay ignores that along with opinions on the rest of his offensive roster.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And post Rodgers he's yet to use anything but a TE in the backfield with a RB. And yet every year there are people who say we're going ot add one because it will make the offense even better, while McVay ignores that along with opinions on the rest of his offensive roster.

I don't know if that's true about every year, but when an outstanding FB makes his presence known, and if blocking is considered a problem for the team, then I don't see any harm in going in that direction. Good FB's at the NFL level are something of a rarity, not many are being developed at the college level to produce in the pros, but when they do, most any position can appreciate an upgrade. FB's are also likely to be mid to late round draft picks, so the gamble is invariably reduced.
And just like those that are advocating for a FB, there always seems to appear a voice denigrating the idea. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if that's true about every year, but when an outstanding FB makes his presence known, and if blocking is considered a problem for the team, then I don't see any harm in going in that direction. Good FB's at the NFL level are something of a rarity, not many are being developed at the college level to produce in the pros, but when they do, most any position can appreciate an upgrade. FB's are also likely to be mid to late round draft picks, so the gamble is invariably reduced.
And just like those that are advocating for a FB, there always seems to appear a voice denigrating the idea. jmo.
Can only speak for myself but I don't denigrate the idea, simply point out that we never go with one. And yes it's brought up yearly, not by all but by enough to notice it every draft season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On our rival fan boards

"They lost a lot of talent in FA"
"They're in cap Hell"
"They have no draft capital"
"Other than Donald & Ramsey there's no talent on defense"

And my favorite popular narrative even on Rams boards....
"Their reckless ways are going to catch up with them"

Meanwhile, we just had 10 draft picks, sent away several defensive players not named Donald or Ramsey to start for other teams...we haven't had a losing season in 5 years and are currently a Super Bowl contender going into 2021.

Good stuff.

During COVID I read a TON of teams message boards not just division rivals. Apparently the whole league is in this "cap hell" lol.