3 Rams who helped themselves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10609/three-rams-who-helped-themselves

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams dropped their second preseason game to the Green Bay Packers by a count of 21-7 Saturday afternoon. Along the way, some players helped themselves, while others did not.

We'll take a look at those who didn't later, but for now, here's three players who either helped themselves prepare for the regular season, bolstered their case for a roster spot or both with strong performances against the Packers.

1. Sam Bradford

We've covered Bradford's return performance at length, but it's worth noting again in this space because he's the most important player in the Rams offense. Bradford not only made it through the game healthy but was mostly sharp in delivering accurate, on-time throws save for a miss to open receiver Kenny Britt down the sideline.

Bradford finished 9-of-12 for 101 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 127.4. His touchdown pass to tight end Lance Kendricks was a particularly welcome sight as he put a fastball into a tight window while standing tall in the pocket.

2. Ethan Westbrooks and Michael Sam

These two have been battling for a potential ninth roster spot on the defensive line all through camp, but both continued building a case for that spot on Saturday. Westbrooks was a bit more active than Sam against the Packers and actually played with the second-team defense, while Sam waited until the third group entered in the second half.

Westbrooks played both end spots and lined up inside on occasion in his 39 snaps and was effective no matter where he played. He finished with four tackles, a sack and two quarterback hits and pushed the pocket a handful of times beyond that. Sam played 27 snaps and posted two tackles, a sack and two quarterback hits while also generating enough pressure to set up linebacker Phillip Steward's sack.

This competition looks like it's really just heating up.

3. Cody Davis

Davis had a really rough first outing against New Orleans in the preseason opener, missing multiple tackles despite being in position to make the play. But Davis rebounded well against the Packers with four tackles and a fumble recovery on 28 snaps. Davis looked more comfortable against Green Bay and looks to have the inside track on a fourth roster spot at safety. He already factored into the 53-man discussion because of his value on special teams, but if he can continue to perform on defense more like he did against the Packers than he did against the Saints, he should be able to solidify his spot.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sam's arm seems so much stronger this year. He's got crazy zip on his balls now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bradford was awesome.

Westbrooks was very impressive.

My third would be Bayer.

I really like seeing quick leading the receivers. That's big.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bradford was awesome.

Westbrooks was very impressive.

My third would be Bayer.

I really like seeing quick leading the receivers. That's big.

Interesting that the Rams had rookie UDFA Bayer filling the Harkey blocking role post for most of the night & Cunningham fill the Cook in line position. They put both those players in what most would think uncomfortable posts normally they would have been lined up the opposite. Bayer did better that I thought he would have in the 2nd half in that Harkey Role....also Justice Cunningham showed he could catch the ball & is a bull to take down.

This pre season competition between these two is fun to watch & also interesting.(y)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Perhaps it's a misperception of mine, but it really seems like Westbrooks is puling away from Sam. Inside, outside lining up, making good plays on every snap, even if it's just pushing the pocket. If you're keeping a scorecard of 4 rounds, it sure seems like Westbrooks leads 2 to 0.

Slappy967

Starter
Sam looked like a stronger version of the Sam we saw last season. Standing tall in the pocket, making good decisions and throwing darts. Westbrooks/Sam both played well with Westbrooks really showing up. Was fun to see them lined up next to each other and hoping we can keep both in some capacity. Joyner I thought looked good as well. More comfortable and decisive on the field and I just love his physicality so far.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It was a tense moment when SB got rolled up from behind but good to see him shake it off!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sam looked like a stronger version of the Sam we saw last season. Standing tall in the pocket, making good decisions and throwing darts. Westbrooks/Sam both played well with Westbrooks really showing up. Was fun to see them lined up next to each other and hoping we can keep both in some capacity. Joyner I thought looked good as well. More comfortable and decisive on the field and I just love his physicality so far.

Yeah, Joyner too. Dude has potential.