SEAHAWKS 2022/23 Seattle Seahawks Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I sure hope Baker doesn’t end up in Seattle. But, there remains smoke.

With Carolina drafting Corral, plus Darnold, they might be cooling?

View: https://twitter.com/theathleticnfl/status/1527646575115108353?s=21&t=UwHoOY89yRixvdZBrfGO_A

FOR FULL ARTICLE GO HERE;

Quarterback Baker Mayfield is still on the Browns, and it’s been obvious for a while that it’s because of the money.

The Panthers and Seahawks have shown interest in acquiring Mayfield, but the Browns haven’t been willing to absorb enough of his fully guaranteed $18.858 million salary. There had indeed been some progress in the negotiations between the Browns and Panthers before Carolina traded up for quarterback Matt Corral — a move the Panthers felt compelled to make with a QB prospect they liked still dangling out there.

The Panthers and Seahawks still haven’t ruled out acquiring Mayfield, but they’ll need the Browns to take on a much greater portion of his contract than they’ve offered so far. It’s unclear how far apart the sides have been, but the Browns want their contractual intake to be commensurate with the asset they receive in return.

The Browns don’t have much, if any, negotiating leverage, and the Panthers and Seahawks are using that to their advantage. As a fifth-year player, Mayfield’s minimum base salary would be $1.035 million, which means the Browns could eat as much as $17.823 million in a trade. The Panthers and Seahawks are obviously pushing for something closer to that number.

The Browns, meanwhile, could theoretically keep Mayfield through 2022 if a trade doesn’t materialize. If they do release him — absorbing the full $18.858 million and really only netting a roster spot — they’ve got to believe the Panthers or Seahawks would have to pay him more than $1.035 million, which is part of their leverage play.

The Browns are also daring the Seahawks (Drew Lock and Geno Smith) and Panthers (Sam Darnold and Corral) to roll with their current QBs. With Mayfield still rehabbing his surgically repaired left shoulder, his inability to currently practice has probably tempered the urgency to acquire him to foster a quarterback competition.

Therefore, everyone remains stuck in a holding pattern.

Mayfield in Seattle doesn’t scare me. If Pete thought he had too much drama with Russell, wait until he gets Mayfield. Cleveland hasn’t gotten the rep as the place where pass catchers go to get worse, because of the coaches.

dang

Legend
Mayfield twice this year (SEA) or Mayfield once this year (CAR)/Lock twice (SEA)? Not the biggest Mayfield fan but I’ll take the latter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Possible Seahawks sale portends scary possibilities​

Jody Allen could sell the Portland Trail Blazers soon. A potential Seahawks sale conjures up some frightening possibilities. San Antonio Seahawks, anyone?

That’s right, 12s, our beloved Seahawks could be in peril. It’s been reported that Jody Allen, executor of the Paul Allen Trust and defacto owner of the Seahawks, will sell the Portland Trail Blazers within the year. Yes, three years ago I wrote that the Hawks weren’t for sale. But it isn’t exactly a surprise that rumors of a possible Seahawks sale are in the air now.

Now me, I’m an optimist. I’m not just a glass half full guy; I say the glass just isn’t big enough. So typically I wouldn’t worry about things like this too much. But when you look around the NFL and see what some of these owners are like…well, it puts more shivers down my spine than a Kam Chancellor hit.

Seahawks sale could be a nightmare

Again, I really am an optimist. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Bill or Melinda Gates will want a new toy. Perhaps Jeff Bezos will splurge a little and buy the Seahawks for the sweet owner’s box. Or who knows? Maybe the 12s can scrape up a few billion dollars and buy the team themselves. Sadly, there are just too many nightmarish examples of owners in the league for me to be completely positive about this.

Imagine an owner like Stephen Ross of the Dolphins. Under his “leadership”, Miami has had six head coaches since 2008. The Phins have made the playoffs just twice with Ross in the owner’s box. Add the tanking for pay allegations, toss in a little alleged tampering with players and coaches, and you have a great recipe for disaster.

Does anybody want someone like Stan Kroenke? Just six years after taking full ownership of the St. Louis Rams, he yanked the team to the West Coast. This was despite multiple assurances from the Rams organization and Kroenke himself. St. Louis sued and won a massive judgment, and now it’s reported that every team in the league will pay $7.5 million to help cover that award. How fun would it be to root for the San Antonio Seahawks?

As for Daniel Snyder – let’s just say I’ll save all you loyal 12s from turning this into a 73-page dissertation of disaster. The Seahawks – and truly, the 12s – were incredibly lucky when the late Paul Allen bought the team and saved it from a move to California. If only we can be so lucky again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Possible Seahawks sale portends scary possibilities​

Jody Allen could sell the Portland Trail Blazers soon. A potential Seahawks sale conjures up some frightening possibilities. San Antonio Seahawks, anyone?

That’s right, 12s, our beloved Seahawks could be in peril. It’s been reported that Jody Allen, executor of the Paul Allen Trust and defacto owner of the Seahawks, will sell the Portland Trail Blazers within the year. Yes, three years ago I wrote that the Hawks weren’t for sale. But it isn’t exactly a surprise that rumors of a possible Seahawks sale are in the air now.

Now me, I’m an optimist. I’m not just a glass half full guy; I say the glass just isn’t big enough. So typically I wouldn’t worry about things like this too much. But when you look around the NFL and see what some of these owners are like…well, it puts more shivers down my spine than a Kam Chancellor hit.

Again, I really am an optimist. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Bill or Melinda Gates will want a new toy. Perhaps Jeff Bezos will splurge a little and buy the Seahawks for the sweet owner’s box. Or who knows? Maybe the 12s can scrape up a few billion dollars and buy the team themselves. Sadly, there are just too many nightmarish examples of owners in the league for me to be completely positive about this.

Imagine an owner like Stephen Ross of the Dolphins. Under his “leadership”, Miami has had six head coaches since 2008. The Phins have made the playoffs just twice with Ross in the owner’s box. Add the tanking for pay allegations, toss in a little alleged tampering with players and coaches, and you have a great recipe for disaster.

Does anybody want someone like Stan Kroenke? Just six years after taking full ownership of the St. Louis Rams, he yanked the team to the West Coast. This was despite multiple assurances from the Rams organization and Kroenke himself. St. Louis sued and won a massive judgment, and now it’s reported that every team in the league will pay $7.5 million to help cover that award. How fun would it be to root for the San Antonio Seahawks?

As for Daniel Snyder – let’s just say I’ll save all you loyal 12s from turning this into a 73-page dissertation of disaster. The Seahawks – and truly, the 12s – were incredibly lucky when the late Paul Allen bought the team and saved it from a move to California. If only we can be so lucky again.
I hate the Hawks but I would hate to see them move. A sale is inevitable but for now I’m happy with Jody Allen letting Pete run the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956677-disastrous-qb-situation-could-be-blessing-in-disguise-for-rebuilding-seahawks

Disastrous QB Situation Could be Blessing in Disguise for Rebuilding Seahawks​

The Seattle Seahawks are entering a new era in 2022, but not in a good way.

The last vestige of the team's "Legion of Boom" defense was sent packing this offseason when the Seahawks released inside linebacker Bobby Wagner. They also traded the quarterback who led the team to the only Super Bowl win in franchise history, dealing Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos for a package headlined by two first-round picks.

Broncos quarterback Drew Lock was shipped to Seattle as part of that deal, and Lock and Geno Smith are set to battle for the right to open the season as the team's starter against the Broncos in the first Monday night affair of 2022.

That duo combines to form a morass of mediocrity (on a good day) that leaves the Seahawks with arguably the worst quarterback situation in the entire National Football League. A deficiency at the game's most important position that all but dooms the team to a miserable 2022 campaign. A weakness that more than a few people are surprised the team made no real effort to bolster in the offseason.

But while having Smith and/or Lock take the snaps this season may be painful in the short term, in the long term, an argument can be made that it's the right play for the franchise.

Like it or not, the Seahawks are in the opening stages of a ground-up rebuild. And sometimes, ripping the bandage off is less painful than peeling it away slowly.

Now, don't tell head coach Pete Carroll that. Carroll insisted all the way back before the draft that there is no rebuild in the Emerald City.

Carroll told Mike Salk of Seattle Sports 710 AM (via Liz Mathews of Seahawks Wire):

"It's the challenge, it's the excitement, it's the newness. The sense of the return to the core of where we began putting things together, where we really were wide open and really aggressive and all. As time goes, you get kind of connected to the salary cap and the cash cap and all that—you get slowed down a little bit, you don't have as much freedom. So we feel the freedom of the draft picks, we feel the freedom of the financial situation, and the excitement of putting our team together again."

The team has also been shining up its quarterback competition. Veteran wideout Tyler Lockett praised Smith's performance in OTAs.

"Being able to come in and know you can run the team and him coming in in OTAs, I mean, he has that fire in his eyes," Lockett told reporters. "He has that look to be able to go out there and do great. I mean, he hasn't had the opportunity to play in a couple years. When you have that opportunity right in front of you, what else do you need, you know what I mean? This is an opportunity that all of us wait for."

Of course, Lockett also had good things to say about Lock.

"He can throw the ball, y'all were out here today, he makes great throws," Lockett said. "He just has that type of calmness about himself to where he knows what he can do, he's making the throws regardless of where the DB is. He had a couple of really great deep ball throws last week before we had this break. I think he's adjusting really well."

Even in a time of year when every report is glowing, that's laying it on pretty thick.

Long story short, neither Smith nor Lock is a good NFL starter. Or even a capable NFL starter. In three starts last year in place of an injured Wilson, Smith topped 200 passing yards in a game all of once. After Lock won four of five starts as a rookie, his play went off a cliff. He has completed less than 60 percent of his career passes and tied for the league lead in interceptions in 2020 with 15.

Neither quarterback has a career passer rating of at least 80 or a completion percentage of 60. Combined, the duo is 21-34 as a starter in the pros.

Whether it's Smith or Lock doesn't matter. With either under center, the Seahawks are a last-place team.

The thing is, that last-place finish may have been unavoidable.

It's not like the team's quarterback of the future was available in 2022 anyway. Trading Wilson just to mortgage the picks gained (and then some) on Deshaun Watson would have been…confusing. A trade for Baker Mayfield would put Seattle on the hook for quite a bit of cash to essentially rent a quarterback who, while once the No. 1 overall pick, is in the last year of his rookie deal and possibly not that big of an upgrade over Lock and Smith.

Even if Mayfield is better, it's no certainty that he's "lead the franchise into a new day" better. There's been speculation galore that Mayfield could wind up out west, but while appearing on The Ryen Russillo Podcast, ESPN's Dianna Russini refuted that speculation.

"The Seahawks have been telling me from day one they have no interest in Baker Mayfield," Russini said. "They're riding Drew Lock. … That's their choice."

Seattle also passed on adding a quarterback in this year's draft. But again, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. There wasn't a signal-caller worth the ninth overall pick Seattle got from Denver, and given that Pitt's Kenny Pickett was the only quarterback taken in the first two rounds, the general consensus among NFL teams appears to have been that this year's class was underwhelming.

The class of 2023 is another story.

Finally, it's not like any quarterback realistically available to the Seahawks in 2022 would take this team anywhere. All three of the other teams in the NFC West made the postseason in 2021. Two made the NFC Championship Game. And the Los Angeles Rams won the Super Bowl.

The Seahawks have a pair of excellent receivers in Lockett and DK Metcalf, depth in the backfield and a solid duo of safeties. But the team also had the lowest-ranked offensive line in the division last year, according to Pro Football Focus, and a bottom-five defense that managed just 34 sacks in 2021.

There's a reason why the Seahawks hadn't made it past the divisional round since losing Super Bowl XLIX. Quarterback isn't the only position on the roster that needs work—work that started with the selection of offensive tackle Charles Cross with the ninth overall pick in 2022.

At 70 years old, Carroll is the oldest active head coach in the league. The odds that he'll be able to guide the team through a prolonged rebuild are slim. The Seahawks need a way to kick-start the process. Speed things up. And the best way to do that is with one of next year's top quarterback prospects.

To do that, Seattle needs one of two things: a high pick of their own or a high-ish one they can combine with Denver's first-rounder in 2023. If there's one thing Smith and Lock have a legitimate shot at doing in 2022, it's losing games.

Cynics might call it tanking, but it's actually sound strategy—bottoming out and then bouncing back as opposed to year after year of mediocrity or being a fringe playoff team with one postseason win over the last four seasons.

So steady yourselves, "12s." (Hey! That rhymes!) The 2022 season is going to sting.

But a sharp pain that comes and goes quickly beats a dull ache that drags on for years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A guy who throws tantrums on the sideline when he doesn't get the ball isn't happy with the team's choice of shitter QBs? WHAT? Wasn't hard to see this coming. Pete should have moved his ass, though I do understand wanting to keep some weapons. There's just no way this guy is going to be anything other than a management nightmare as they try to return to a physical offense built around the run game.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seachickens are now the old Saints when the fans wore bags on their heads. Going nowhere and lucky to win 3 games this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Metcalf looked at his QB situation and realized he needs to be paid NOW... not after a year with Lock or whatever.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I almost feel guilty with the richness we are experiencing vs our rivals in the NFC West. We have the best Front office and ownership. We have the most talented roster with the stars signed for 3 years. The Hawks lost their franchise QB and a 1s team all pro like Bobby Wagner to their greatest rival. The Niners have a QB controversary with Jimmy G on the trading block and his replacement is underwhelming. Kyler Murray can't get it done, even though he is talented for a midget. The NFC West is ours for the taking

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is really funny here is how stupid this guy is to think Jody owning the team is better than the unknown. The decision to keep Pete around demonstrates an ownership team that isn't fully engaged IMO. Not that Pete's a bad coach, I don't think that by any means. But he hasn't won shit since this division loaded up the kid head coaches and this offseason was a natural break point to reload under new leadership.

If Jody had half a brain she would have fired Pete and hired Asshole Face. Her keeping Pete around is fine by me of course. But what Pete is going to do is try to field a defensive team that runs the ball and that can get you to .500 or so if you have the defensive roster which the Seahawks do. They're good up front, have solid pieces on the back end, and drafted a couple nice additions to the unit. If they hit on Mafi and Bryant, which is certainly possible, they're going to be tough on offenses.

What we're seeing here, IMO, is that Pete knows what he's doing on defense. On offense, though, yeah it's almost surely gonna be rough. But hey they at least have Austin Blythe added right? :laugh4:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What is really funny here is how stupid this guy is to think Jody owning the team is better than the unknown. The decision to keep Pete around demonstrates an ownership team that isn't fully engaged IMO. Not that Pete's a bad coach, I don't think that by any means. But he hasn't won shit since this division loaded up the kid head coaches and this offseason was a natural break point to reload under new leadership.

If Jody had half a brain she would have fired Pete and hired Asshole Face. Her keeping Pete around is fine by me of course. But what Pete is going to do is try to field a defensive team that runs the ball and that can get you to .500 or so if you have the defensive roster which the Seahawks do. They're good up front, have solid pieces on the back end, and drafted a couple nice additions to the unit. If they hit on Mafi and Bryant, which is certainly possible, they're going to be tough on offenses.

What we're seeing here, IMO, is that Pete knows what he's doing on defense. On offense, though, yeah it's almost surely gonna be rough. But hey they at least have Austin Blythe added right? :laugh4:
I wouldn't be too hard on Jody too quickly.
Stan stuck with Fisher for 5 years while he learned more about being THE owner.
Got it damn right his second time up.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But what Pete is going to do is try to field a defensive team that runs the ball and that can get you to .500 or so if you have the defensive roster which the Seahawks do. They're good up front, have solid pieces on the back end, and drafted a couple nice additions to the unit. If they hit on Mafi and Bryant, which is certainly possible, they're going to be tough on offenses.

Almost like saying he's morphed into Jeff Fisher.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be too hard on Jody too quickly.
Stan stuck with Fisher for 5 years while he learned more about being THE owner.
Got it damn right his second time up.

stan had a plan. he wanted the rams out of the gutter but not too good to generate excitement and huge crowds. jeff fisher was the perfect 7 and 9 coach to make the move to LA as painless as possible.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
stan had a plan. he wanted the rams out of the gutter but not too good to generate excitement and huge crowds. jeff fisher was the perfect 7 and 9 coach to make the move to LA as painless as possible.

Yeah, I don’t believe that. It’s revisionist… Fisher was widely considered the best veteran coach available.