49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend

San Francisco 49ers will still be Trey Lance’s team next season, says NFL insider​

“Obviously, it’s not Trey Lance’s team this year because he’s hurt. But next year, they still have full faith that Trey Lance is their future. Trey had surgery last week to repair a broken ankle and ligaments as well. But just four days after that, he surprised the rest of the team and showed up at the meeting on Friday. Everybody came up, gave him hugs, so they still firmly believe this will be his team.

“… As far as Jimmy Garoppolo is concerned, obviously, it’s his team this season, then he’ll be a free agent. What this also does, is I think we were looking at a 49ers season were you’re gonna have some bumps, some ups and downs for Trey Lance, and every time that happened, people are going to start clamoring, ‘Where’s Jimmy G?’ Obviously, they no longer have to deal with that.”

Jay Glazer on 49ers QB situation

season 5 episode 3 GIF
Not sure I believe in Jay Glazers opinion.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. It just feels like they don't trust Lance as much anymore. It feels like the reason Jimmy GQ stayed with the team was because they got a good look at Lance in the preseason and realized he's either far from ready or not who they thought he was. That INT vs the Bears it sure looked like he had time to get it to the receiver. But by the time he recognized it, it took too long to plant his foot, wind up and make the throw. His throwing mechanics are not good.

The best mobile quarterbacks are the ones who can evade pressure and still look to pass. Mahomes and Rogers are the among the best. Or run when its there and slide or go out of bounds. I don't see Lance being one of those who can scramble and look to throw the ball. He's like Kapernick. Quick to tuck it and run. He could get better but by that time that Superbowl ready roster may no longer be a Superbowl ready roster.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I dunno. It just feels like they don't trust Lance as much anymore. It feels like the reason Jimmy GQ stayed with the team was because they got a good look at Lance in the preseason and realized he's either far from ready or not who they thought he was. That INT vs the Bears it sure looked like he had time to get it to the receiver. But by the time he recognized it, it took too long to plant his foot, wind up and make the throw. His throwing mechanics are not good.

The best mobile quarterbacks are the ones who can evade pressure and still look to pass. Mahomes and Rogers are the among the best. Or run when its there and slide or go out of bounds. I don't see Lance being one of those who can scramble and look to throw the ball. He's like Kapernick. Quick to tuck it and run. He could get better but by that time that Superbowl ready roster may no longer be a Superbowl ready roster.
Their entire roster-build model will be blown to shit if they have to re-sign Jimmy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Their entire roster-build model will be blown to shit if they have to re-sign Jimmy.
The 5th year option for first round 2019 picks has been picked up for some players this past offseason. So I believe Lance's would be during the offseason after the 2023 season. That will be interesting to see if they pick up his option then. If he struggles next season it would be hard to justify it. And to justify trading up for him in the first place.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
For those keeping score at home, the 49ers could have had Micah Parsons with one of the picks they traded for Lance (plus a 1st and 3rd last April and a 1st next year).

I'd say Lance (plus 3 other picks) over Parsons is significantly worse than Tutu over Creed!

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
For those keeping score at home, the 49ers could have had Micah Parsons with one of the picks they traded for Lance (plus a 1st and 3rd last April and a 1st next year).

I'd say Lance (plus 3 other picks) over Parsons is significantly better than Tutu over Creed!
FIFY. @Loyal

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The 5th year option for first round 2019 picks has been picked up for some players this past offseason. So I believe Lance's would be during the offseason after the 2023 season. That will be interesting to see if they pick up his option then. If he struggles next season it would be hard to justify it. And to justify trading up for him in the first place.
If they have to pay Jimmy next year.. it screws them.

dang

Legend

“I prefer my stage name…Jimmy G-String” the artist formerly known as Jimmy GQ.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Has any QB won a super bowl because of their ability to scramble? Steve Young won with the whiny whiners but it had nothing to do with him running. Craperinick lost because he's not as good a passer as Stafford. I can't think of any QB's who won the title because of their running ability.

McNair gave us a scare but the Rams still won because his pass fell short of the goal line.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Has any QB won a super bowl because of their ability to scramble? Steve Young won with the whiny whiners but it had nothing to do with him running. Craperinick lost because he's not as good a passer as Stafford. I can't think of any QB's who won the title because of their running ability.

McNair gave us a scare but the Rams still won because his pass fell short of the goal line.
Mahomes and Rogers could scramble but they do it to buy more time to throw. Wilson won on the strength of a great defense. I feel like teams like Baltimore and AZ will never win a superbowl with their guys who like to run more than most. I don't see SF winning a championship with Lance either.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I'd say Lance (plus 3 other picks) over Parsons is significantly worse than Tutu over Creed!
Well, if they both turn out to be busts at least Tutu was a late second rounder and not a multiple first round picks bust. :laugh3:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

The thing to look at isn’t if the can run… it’s whether they can make plays from the pocket.

If they can’t? Very tough to win a SB.

Wilson is on the line on this one.. I think people have figured him out and he can’t make enough throws from pocket to win anymore. Horrible trade for Broncos.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I hope rat boy doubles down on Lance and goes all in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Elway scrambled the Broncos into SB losses, then finally won when he had a pocket and run game. So it is a stimulating question.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Elway scrambled the Broncos into SB losses, then finally won when he had a pocket and run game. So it is a stimulating question.
Well… I think it’s easier to say the Broncos run game & D won that game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well… I think it’s easier to say the Broncos run game & D won that game.
That doesn't change anything irt the conversation. Point is Elway's career arc supports that theory.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That doesn't change anything irt the conversation. Point is Elway's career arc supports that theory.
I guess I just think the Super Bowl wins were much more about the entire team, especially Terrell Davis, than any Elway evolution. He did more to get his teams to the SB earlier in his career, imo. He threw for 123 yards against the Packers.. only completed 11 passes.

I think the young version of Elway would've easily won a Super Bowl if you dropped him in on that team.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
lol Grant Cohn.

Still plenty of season for Jimmy G to get hurt.
That guy should be a member here. I swear he hates those shit bag niners as bad as we do, hahaha.