49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Then there's this from an NFC offensive coach: "I think they were 100 percent taking Mac [Jones] until they saw their fan base [overreact]."
Not buying this for a second.
I do however, believe Jones was the initial pick in 9er's mind. He is the perfect fit . A QB who fits the mold
of a run first offense. The main criteria being a QB who is accurate and makes the right decisions, keeping
mistakes and turnovers at a minimal.
My theory has always been that Shanny had too long to think about it and fell in love with Lance's
potential , Instead of sticking to the lower risk pick in Jones.

dang

Legend
I personally think Lance can be a Prescott type but wouldn’t it be sweet for Coach Ratboys legacy to be tied to a failed draft move of epic proportions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, an offensive coach on an NFC team believes the 49ers were "100 percent taking" Mac Jones at No. 3 overall "until they saw their fanbase [overreact].""

Comments as such are stupid to say the least....so NFL coaches, GMs, and other front office members are so concerned about the opinions/desires/reactions of the fan base they would be willing to change their draft pick? Man, wished I'd known about Tutu!!!!
Yes and no. While a head coach or GM may not care, an owner and front office types may care what fans think. If a head coach and GM are in disagreement I could see the higher ups influencing the pick. Not every team is run the same way. Pete Carroll is basically running the Seahawks for example.
Shanny will simplify shit for him and make him look at least decent. If not then we are really gonna enjoy this.
This is what he will try to do. All the simplifying that the 49ers tried to do for Kaepernick didn’t change his inability to read defenses and McVay’s simplifications didn’t make Goff any better at it either.
Lance sucks. Dude had to redshirt in the FCS for God's sake...how often has that happened to future NFL QBs?

He's played one full season since high school on a powerhouse FCS team against garbage competition full of players that wouldn't make the practice squad in the SEC...and his accuracy was still terrible. Here's a note from PFF after his Pro Day:

"Lance did show off his huge arm during the throwing drills, but we mustn’t forget the accuracy issues he had at North Dakota State. Just 44% of Lance’s career passes beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed accurate, according to PFF’s ball-charting process. Comparing that to all the first-round quarterbacks since 2017, it would be the worst by a considerable margin. And Lance produced that number despite throwing to a tight or closing window at one of the five lowest rates among that group (also the lowest in the 2021 class)."

He's insanely inexperienced and massively overrated as an athlete. There's a reason he didn't run the 40, he knows he looks way faster running against FCS players than he would on the stopwatch.

I literally celebrated when the 49ers took Lance over Mac Jones.
While I agree with this, it is possible that the Niners felt he just needed some mechanical tweaks to improve his accuracy. For several years it was a popular thought that inaccurate in college = inaccurate in the NFL. It held true for guys like Christian Hackenburg. But then look at Josh Allen, who had questions about inaccuracy entering the draft. Until we see Lance play in the NFL it’s all just speculation.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
DON'T SLEEP ON LANCE. THIS KID IS VERY SMART, AND VERY TALENTED. HE IS A TRUE DUAL THREAT. HE'S BETTER THAN KYLER AND LAMAR JACKSON, IN THAT HE CAN READ DEFENSES AND DOES SO
Just curious how you are so sure of him to make these statements? Where is the evidence? Kyler and Lamar put it on tape in (D1A) college, and now in the NFL. Lance played one season in North fucking Dakota.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious how you are so sure of him to make these statements? Where is the evidence? Kyler and Lamar put it on tape in (D1A) college, and now in the NFL. Lance played one season in North fucking Dakota.
From the same place that has had us cutting our top notch RT for a few years :D

Lance is physically talented there's no question. There is however question about his ability to lead an offense. He had very limited action in college and history shows us guys like that have a lot of issues when moving to the NFL. There are enough grumbles from Niners camp and inconsistent game tape in the NFL to give us all doubts about what he'll be moving forward. He could clean things up and take the game by storm we just don't know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My theory has always been that Shanny had too long to think about it and fell in love with Lance's
My theory is that Shammy is so high on hiself that he thinks he can turn a Brian Quick type guy into gold. I think he fell in love with himself and his sub 500 record as a coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My theory is that Shammy is so high on hiself that he thinks he can turn a Brian Quick type guy into gold. I think he fell in love with himself and his sub 500 record as a coach.
In fairness, Shanahan is a sub .500 coach, when his team has been beset with injuries, when he has his full squad, he's a much better Head Coach. Now, I do believe if anyone can get the most out of Lance, it's Kyle Shanahan and again before I write off the 49ers I need to feel their wounds with my hands.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In fairness, Shanahan is a sub .500 coach, when his team has been beset with injuries, when he has his full squad, he's a much better Head Coach. Now, I do believe if anyone can get the most out of Lance, it's Kyle Shanahan and again before I write off the 49ers I need to feel their wounds with my hands.
Oh sure. Don't play along.

dang

Legend
You mean injuries like SJD, Woods, Higbee, Fuller, Whit, Akers, Henderson, DWill, EJones, Howard, Allen, Mundt, Jefferson and TLewis??

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My theory is that Shammy is so high on himself that he thinks he can turn a Brian Quick type guy into gold. I think he fell in love with himself and his sub 500 record as a coach.
We should challenge Shanahan to sign Brian Quick (still only 33) and turn him 'into gold'.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You mean injuries like SJD, Woods, Higbee, Fuller, Whit, Akers, Henderson, DWill, EJones, Howard, Allen, Mundt, Jefferson and TLewis??
Yes, throughout Shanahan's tenure the 49ers have been hit with injuries with Nick Bosa plus the couple of years of missing their starting QB for multiple games. When the 49ers have had Jimmy Garoppolo as their starter, their record is 31-14 and he's 6-1 as a starter against the Los Angeles Rams. So again, before I tout Lance as a bust I would like to see him actually play a few games.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the only thing Lance has to prove is he has it inside his head to be a franchise QB. He came in very raw so there was no question he needed a redshirt year. But his talent upsides are certainly there.

I believe that Mac might have been their initial choice, but I think they saw the higher ceiling in Lance. With Jimmy G under contract, it made it easier to take Lance. As Ram fans, we all would love Lance to fail. But we all saw how given good coaching and time to develop how a QB can blossom into a top talent, The perfect example of this is Josh Allen. He came in with a strong arm but was wildly inconsistent. With Josh Allen, his inconsistencies were clearly due to his mechanics. But the biggest question was could he be a franchise QB between the ears.

Lance doesn't have Allen's arm strength, but there is no denying the talent you see in his film. To be honest I had hoped the Niners would take Jones. IMO Jones has a lower ceiling than Lance. He was more ready to play than Lance but I believed the scouting reports of his having a lower ceiling than Lance because it fit what I saw on film. Too many times I saw the same deer in the headlights look in Mac that we have seen in Murray. I don't see that in Lance. In Lance, I see his biggest problem as trusting what he sees. That will come with experience and good coaching. If Shanny tailors the offense to play to Lance's strengths he will be a hard QB to beat by 2023 or 2024.

Last year I said that Lance had the rudimentary foundation of being a pocket passer who can read the defenses, which would make him better than Murray. Lance is a QB who will make a secondary defend the entire field, and a true threat to run with 4.5 speed. The DL will have to contain him while they rush. The LBs will have to be mindful of a QB who is a legit dual threat which will test their ability to read and react. If the Niners roll out another strong run offense Lance could give them the balance they need. Mahomes is an example of a true dual threat QB, and though Mahomes has a much stronger arm, Lance is much faster.

The key for the 49er offense is how well their interior OL plays. They have had some major turnover there. How well they run between the tackles and pass protect against AD, Gaines and A'Shawn will be their test. This is why I think 2023 will be the real test for the Niners and show us how good or not their offense really is with Lance and that OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shanny needs to go to a team who has a real owner. The SF owner is a dickless fuck. Hard to imagine him ever sustaining a winning team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the only thing Lance has to prove is he has it inside his head to be a franchise QB. He came in very raw so there was no question he needed a redshirt year. But his talent upsides are certainly there.

I believe that Mac might have been their initial choice, but I think they saw the higher ceiling in Lance. With Jimmy G under contract, it made it easier to take Lance. As Ram fans, we all would love Lance to fail. But we all saw how given good coaching and time to develop how a QB can blossom into a top talent, The perfect example of this is Josh Allen. He came in with a strong arm but was wildly inconsistent. With Josh Allen, his inconsistencies were clearly due to his mechanics. But the biggest question was could he be a franchise QB between the ears.

Lance doesn't have Allen's arm strength, but there is no denying the talent you see in his film. To be honest I had hoped the Niners would take Jones. IMO Jones has a lower ceiling than Lance. He was more ready to play than Lance but I believed the scouting reports of his having a lower ceiling than Lance because it fit what I saw on film. Too many times I saw the same deer in the headlights look in Mac that we have seen in Murray. I don't see that in Lance. In Lance, I see his biggest problem as trusting what he sees. That will come with experience and good coaching. If Shanny tailors the offense to play to Lance's strengths he will be a hard QB to beat by 2023 or 2024.

Last year I said that Lance had the rudimentary foundation of being a pocket passer who can read the defenses, which would make him better than Murray. Lance is a QB who will make a secondary defend the entire field, and a true threat to run with 4.5 speed. The DL will have to contain him while they rush. The LBs will have to be mindful of a QB who is a legit dual threat which will test their ability to read and react. If the Niners roll out another strong run offense Lance could give them the balance they need. Mahomes is an example of a true dual threat QB, and though Mahomes has a much stronger arm, Lance is much faster.

The key for the 49er offense is how well their interior OL plays. They have had some major turnover there. How well they run between the tackles and pass protect against AD, Gaines and A'Shawn will be their test. This is why I think 2023 will be the real test for the Niners and show us how good or not their offense really is with Lance and that OL.
He has everything to prove as does every young QB when they're handed the team for the first time. He's never done it in the NFL.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We all know Lance is very athletic. But I don't see how anyone can claim he reads defenses and can do it quickly. There is such a small sample size. I wouldn't go on his college game. Playing for a small school against small school defenses is a long way from the NFL.
Yea his two big areas of weakness to me are reading a defense, and touch throws. The latter can be developed and he'll get better at it. He proved he can make nice intermediate touch throws in college, but reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball is the single most important skill a QB can have. And this isn't an easy skill to develop and some QBs will never be able to grasp it. Look how much progress Goff made in 4 years with McVay, yet he still struggled to read defenses at times. Shanny being the genius offensive mind he is will scheme up easy reads for Lance and they will still be very productive. But their offense will be limited and they wont really compete for a SB until this part of his game develops in a big way.

RamInferno

UDFA
IMO, the biggest mistake the 49ers made wasn't which QB they took, but rather it was not recognizing their championship window. Imagine if they had drafted Ja'Marr Chase last year instead of any of the QBs and rolled with Jimmy G (which they did anyways). That would have been enough to put them over the top and win it all last year (IMO). They had a win-now roster needing just one more piece to get them there. But they took a long-term developmental prospect that made almost no contribution last year and left them coming up just short.

Now in year 2 Lance's rookie deal, instead of loading up to win this year while their QB is on his rookie deal, they are devoting that potential extra cap space to the bridge QB while the developmental prospect continues to develop. And by the time that prospect is really ready to contribute, all their star players who on their own rookie deals (Bosa and Deebo, among others) will be coming up for mega contract extensions and they will never really get to exploit that window of opportunity that they had this year and last.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Potential alone means squat, until it’s proven in real NFL games. MANY 1st round QB talents have come to nothing at the Pro level, and Trey Lance is one of these until he proves it otherwise