49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

george of the jungle laugh GIF

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Trey Lance:

2021: 2 starts (rookie year)
2020: 1 start (final year in college)

Yeah... he's a sure thing, Whiner fans. :eyeroll:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Ask Niners Twitter if they can hear the dog that isn't barking and you get a blank stare. Where are the full-throated statements about Lance's readiness to start?

If he's everything they wanted and he's ready to go, why would the Niners not have already taken the 4th rounder for Jimmy G and moved on?

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

When it comes to the NFL offseason, most teams try to have their biggest personnel questions answered by the time the NFL Draft ends. However, that hasn't been the case in San Francisco this year. Not only do they still have plenty of questions still hanging over their heads with Deebo Samuel and Jimmy Garoppolo trade drama, but the 49ers could also be dealt another blow with the potential loss of a key offensive starter.

As things currently stand, the 49ers have no idea who their starting center is going to be in 2022 and that's because their starter from last year, Alex Mack, is currently contemplating retirement. Mack, who started all 20 games the 49ers played in last year, is a key member of the team's offensive line, but it's still not clear if he's going to return for his 14th NFL season.

When a player is contemplating retirement, a team usually wants to know his plans before the start of free agency so they can look for his replacement if he ends up calling it quits. If the player isn't ready to make a decision by the start of free agency, the team will almost always want to know his plans before the draft. That way, if he decides to retire, then the team will know going into the draft what their positional needs are.

In the case of Mack, neither thing happened: He didn't make a decision before free agency and he didn't make one before the draft, which has left the 49ers in an awkward position.

San Francisco general manager John Lynch was asked about Mack's status before the start of the draft and he didn't seem to have an idea whether Mack was going to keep playing or retire.

"We've been in discussions with Alex, communicating with him and I think I would say, the common theme here today, I'm not going to speak for Alex on that," Lynch said on April 25 when asked if Mack would be retiring, via quotes from the team. "I think at the appropriate time, Alex will comment on that."

Although Mack could end up retiring, Lynch also noted that it's definitely possible that the seven-time Pro Bowler could turn for another season.

"I think that, yeah, that still remains a possibility," Lynch said. "He hasn't spoken on it with finality, but I think it does remain fluid."

At this point, it appears the 49ers are hoping that Mack returns, because they haven't really done anything to replace him. Although they drafted two offensive linemen over the weekend -- Spencer Burford and Nick Zakelj -- neither of those guys are expected to play center. The 49ers did sign an undrafted free agent who plays center (Dohnovan West out of Arizona State), but it's unlikely they're going to want to hand such a complicated job to a rookie who wasn't even drafted.

"It's a tough position to come in and play right away," Lynch said when asked if a rookie could play center.

That being said, Lynch did note that it wouldn't be impossible for a rookie to come in and start.

"One thing about our system, I don't think there's as much on the center in terms of making every protection call and things of that nature as a lot of systems," Lynch said. "Alex, we probably afforded him that opportunity because he was so capable, but that doesn't have to be the case. And so, there's things we can do."

One reason the 49ers haven't been pushing Mack to make a retirement decision right now is because he's been pretty busy this offseason. In the past month alone, Mack has gotten married and gone on his honeymoon.

Now that those two big life events are out of the way, the 36-year-old will have some time to think about his NFL future and because of that, it wouldn't be completely surprising if we see him make a decision before the end of the month.

If Mack does call it quits, the 49ers will definitely be in a pinch. If that happens, their two best options at center would likely be moving Daniel Brunskill to position or signing a veteran free agent like JC Tretter, Nick Martin or Matt Paradis.

dang

Legend
And the knob slobbers continue to praise the 69ers. Just heard on GMFB a take about “Jimmy G-String just wins!!” Wins what??? Open pole night at Talleywackers??

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There is definitely a "stolen valor" problem in the 49ers fan base. If you're a 49ers fan, and you're under the age of 30, you have no memories of watching your team win a championship. Rather, you adopted a team that had a strong history, and now you strut around like you willed Joe Montana and Steve Young to victory. That's not to say you can't revere those who are before your time. I, for example, take pride in the accomplishments of Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Watterfield and Elroy Hirsch. But I also recognize that if I'm talking to, say, a Patriots fan about the top NFL franchises, citing to a "before my time" era is pretty lame.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is... 49ers fans suck donkey balls.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

9 years out of 25. Not a great strike rate but not that bad either.