OFFICIAL 2021 Coaching changes / Black Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s tough when your team starts to experience success. The league naturally picks it apart. Other teams woo players and coaches. Thankfully, McSneed has shown resiliency drafting well and bringing in talents coaches.

Hopefully Staley sees his time with the Rams needs to continue. Yes there are only 32 HC jobs, 5-8 of them are disasters. Sometimes it’s better to wait until the next night out rather than grab what’s left at 2:00 a.m.?

TXRams86

The Infamous
It’s tough when your team starts to experience success. The league naturally picks it apart. Other teams woo players and coaches. Thankfully, McSneed has shown resiliency drafting well and bringing in talents coaches.

Hopefully Staley sees his time with the Rams needs to continue. Yes there are only 32 HC jobs, 5-8 of them are disasters. Sometimes it’s better to wait until the next night out rather than grab what’s left at 2:00 a.m.?
According to some posters on here if you're offered a head coaching gig you absolutely take it. Doesn't matter what team it is. Apparently it's better to take over a dumpster fire of a team (and deal with all the BS that comes with that) than stay in your current position as one of the best NFL defensive coordinators under a great head coach and organization like the Rams. :unsure:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to some posters on here if you're offered a head coaching gig you absolutely take it. Doesn't matter what team it is. Apparently it's better to take over a dumpster fire of a team (and deal with all the BS that comes with that) than stay in your current position as one of the best NFL defensive coordinators under a great head coach and organization like the Rams. :unsure:
Some guys want to stay as just a coordinator. But then again some guys want to run their own team and try to put their stamp of success on a club. Also the money is usually better so don't act like it's people crowning achievement to just be just a coordinator.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Some guys want to stay as just a coordinator. But then again some guys want to run their own team and try to put their stamp of success on a club. Also the money is usually better so don't act like it's people crowning achievement to just be just a coordinator.
I never said it was? But just as you're assuming I said so and disagree with it, I'll disagree with the fact that every coordinator longs to be a head coach. Neither is a definite but some people here act like it is.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said it was? But just as you're assuming I said so and disagree with it, I'll disagree with the fact that every coordinator longs to be a head coach. Neither is a definite but some people here act like it is.

You implied exactly that by saying this.
According to some posters on here if you're offered a head coaching gig you absolutely take it.

I did in fact say some guys want to stay coordinator but most of these guys getting into coaching have one of two desires. To make players better as a position coach/coordinator or to make the whole team better as a head coach.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, in order to be offered the job, an individual would express interest and interview for it. So if a coach, say Staley, isnt interested in a HC position, he wouldnt be offered it since he wouldnt be a candidate. Conversely, if he's going to go thru the interview/vetting process, he would certainly would be aspiring to be a Head Coach.
I thought it was pretty self explanatory, but I guess not

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
He's not going to SF for a lateral job, and they couldn't hire him away for a lateral job if he's under contract here.
I dont think he goes either but SF could make him assistant head coach. I believe thats been done before.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who said that?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, in order to be offered the job, an individual would express interest and interview for it. So if a coach, say Staley, isnt interested in a HC position, he wouldnt be offered it since he wouldnt be a candidate. Conversely, if he's going to go thru the interview/vetting process, he would certainly would be aspiring to be a Head Coach.

Some guys go through the interview process not to get the job (or to get it now) but to get experience so that when they are ready, they interview well

As a matter of fact, that's pretty much SOP. If you can get an interview, even if you're not sure, go through the process. The process alone can be an invaluable learning tool about how an entire team runs and can give perspectives not available through any other means.

It's part of why the Rooney rule is so important. Several HCs had to interview for multiple years before landing an HC position because so much goes into it.

So, while I expect Staley to maybe interview and if he gets the interview, to take them, I dunno if he's interested in moving at this time.

Time will tell, of course. That said, I also believe if he's committed to being an HC that he'll be super prepared and be offered the job or be in that final cut.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Some guys go through the interview process not to get the job (or to get it now) but to get experience so that when they are ready, they interview well

As a matter of fact, that's pretty much SOP. If you can get an interview, even if you're not sure, go through the process. The process alone can be an invaluable learning tool about how an entire team runs and can give perspectives not available through any other means.

It's part of why the Rooney rule is so important. Several HCs had to interview for multiple years before landing an HC position because so much goes into it.

So, while I expect Staley to maybe interview and if he gets the interview, to take them, I dunno if he's interested in moving at this time.

Time will tell, of course. That said, I also believe if he's committed to being an HC that he'll be super prepared and be offered the job or be in that final cut.

Don't think Staley needs much practice. Here's what the coach at John Carroll said about interviewing him to be their DC:

"I called Brandon, I interviewed him. It was as big of a no-brainer as you can possibly imagine. Within 30 seconds of the interview, you knew there was just something really special about Brandon, just something really different. His personality, his way, his ability to teach, his knowledge and expertise and his ability to connect, all of it is really rare and it shows through pretty instantaneously. I’m sure Sean (McVay), when he met him, I’m sure he felt similarly. I knew in that moment that we were going to hire Brandon."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If they are interviewing, they are interested in becoming a head coach, even if they are thinking in the future and are gaining valuable interview experience. That's really the point of it. Rooney rule as an example is the opposite point, sadly there were some coaches who were interviewing when they had no chance, that they only checked a box. Tomlin kicked that door in, but there arent many other examples in that favor.
Point being, if there is a coach who doesnt aspire to be a head coach, he wont interview for an open position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade Phillips can elevate a defense for 1-2 years before it regresses, so may be worth a look for the Raiders
That's what his reputation was, but really didnt follow suit with the Rams.

TXRams86

The Infamous
You implied exactly that by saying this.

I did in fact say some guys want to stay coordinator but most of these guys getting into coaching have one of two desires. To make players better as a position coach/coordinator or to make the whole team better as a head coach.
You came to that conclusion on your own based on what I said and I can't argue with your personal take on my quote. But nowhere in that quote did I state, nor imply, that a coordinator position is ANYONE's crowning achievement. But this is a moot point not worth arguing really.

Wow, I never would have thought that in the history of the NFL teams wouldn't just go out and recruit a guy for their head coaching position. I suppose that the NFL is an industry all on its own that doesn't reach out to potential candidates and express interest in them joining their squad. How silly of me to think that to some the interview process is merely a formality.

In the end we can speculate all we want, argue back and forth but the simple fact of the matter is that no one has indicated that Staley is or is not interested in pursuing a head coaching position at this point in time. Take care!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, I never would have thought that in the history of the NFL teams wouldn't just go out and recruit a guy for their head coaching position.
And who said anything different? You're moving the goal posts now.
Teams reach out to see interest level all the time, nobody saying different. But that isnt the same thing as reaching out unsolicited and offering the position.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Every team is looking for the next offensive genius. Trend lately seems to favor offensive coaches to develop young QBs. It’s an offensive league so you need the offense.

I think Salah and Staley have a tougher time finding a HC job because of the side of the ball they coach.

Also Josh McDaniels is rumored (at least in these parts) to be heading to LA to take the Chargers job. Lot of Patriot connections I hear in their FO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every team is looking for the next offensive genius. Trend lately seems to favor offensive coaches to develop young QBs. It’s an offensive league so you need the offense.

I think Salah and Staley have a tougher time finding a HC job because of the side of the ball they coach.

Also Josh McDaniels is rumored (at least in these parts) to be heading to LA to take the Chargers job. Lot of Patriot connections I hear in their FO
Yeah an offensive mind makes a lot of sense with a young QB or you're planning to draft one like AZ did. But a team with a vet like Detroit or Atlanta a defensive mind also makes a lot of sense.