2018 QB Class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've mentioned this before, but these guys are off to an amazing start as a group. Almost across the board they have looked solid or better in preseason. IMO the teams in the top area who needed QB and outsmarted themselves are going to be hating themselves later.

It's still way too early to know of course. But based on early returns this class is going to be a hell of a group and a lot of team fortunes are going to rise/fall because of them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've mentioned this before, but these guys are off to an amazing start as a group. Almost across the board they have looked solid or better in preseason. IMO the teams in the top area who needed QB and outsmarted themselves are going to be hating themselves later.

It's still way too early to know of course. But based on early returns this class is going to be a hell of a group and a lot of team fortunes are going to rise/fall because of them.
Does that include Luis Perez??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, we need a decent back up, so...

ausmurp

Starter
Totally agree. I'm shocked with how amazing Mayfield's pocket presence is wow. He looks worthy of the top pick to me. Josh Allen as well looks phenomenal. And Rosen is worrying me realistically. He looks good too, sucks the Cardinals got him. Darnold too, jets got a steal there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Totally agree. I'm shocked with how amazing Mayfield's pocket presence is wow. He looks worthy of the top pick to me. Josh Allen as well looks phenomenal. And Rosen is worrying me realistically. He looks good too, sucks the Cardinals got him. Darnold too, jets got a steal there.

Not to mention Lamar Jackson (first round, Ravens) and Mason Rudolph (third round, Steelers) look like they have potential. Not a fan of Allen or Mayfield, but they do look good.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Do we have a first round pick this year?

Yes, we do. I'm praying that Greedy Williams falls to us; then we can put him at cornerback, Talib at free safety, and have a dominant secondary, even if Joyner leaves.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Yes, we do. I'm praying that Greedy Williams falls to us; then we can put him at cornerback, Talib at free safety, and have a dominant secondary, even if Joyner leaves.

So tired of having to let great players walk. I guess that's how it is with winning franchises?

Memento

Name
Jemma
So tired of having to let great players walk. I guess that's how it is with winning franchises?

Quite simply, I put it this way: do we let Joyner walk to re-sign Havenstein, Brown, and - maybe - Saffold, or do we re-sign Joyner and let these important players go? That's not even counting what Donald, Peters, and - eventually - Goff will make.

You can't keep everyone. Believe me, I love Joyner, but I don't think that we re-sign him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on my observations thus far, I think Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold should all be competent starters at worst. I don't see Josh Allen panning out, and Lamar Jackson has a lot of developing to do still before I can make a call on him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Based on my observations thus far, I think Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold should all be competent starters at worst. I don't see Josh Allen panning out, and Lamar Jackson has a lot of developing to do still before I can make a call on him.
That matches with what I’ve seen. I think Darnold may be the most able and ready. Rosen possibly has the best chance for success though. Unfortunately, I think Mayfield feels a bit too much pressure to be the savior of Cleveland and Darnold will feel the same. The organizations though are just not there so they will both struggle.

I don’t see either Allen or Jackson having much pressure and Rosen won’t have a great deal of expectations either. Rosen may just screw himself up by needing to prove he should have gone higher.

The interesting thing to see is if Josh Allen is able to use his size as a positive on the frozen tundra. But If he does, I don’t think it will be his strong arm that gets him there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a good example of one of the big concerns I have with Allen:

The play results in a TD, so a lot of people touted it as an impressive play. However, Allen completely blew the pre-snap read. My two biggest concerns with Allen were his poor accuracy and his major struggles with pre-snap reads. Watch the play closely. Allen starts the play looking to his left. He has a 3x1 formation after he correctly motions the HB into the back-field to help with pass protection (reading the blitz). However, watch the CB covering the single WR after he motions in the HB. The CB slides over and takes outside leverage. Look at the single-high safety in the middle of the field. He's shaded to the left side of the OL. That should tell the QB that FS is going to be helping the CB. The CB is taking outside leverage to funnel the WR inside to help.

Look at the other side of the field, he has 3 defenders against his 3 receiving targets. They're playing either straight up or inside leverage. That should tell him that there is no help. What should he do here? He has two options. He can go to the slot WR running the flat route. That's a more risky throw because his timing and placement needs to be perfect or else it results in a pick-six. His other option is to look left right after the snap to bait the FS and then quickly reset and hit the TE on the drag route with a pass in front of him. It's a tight window, but if he places it right, the TE can use his body to box out the defender. Instead, Allen locks onto the only double-covered WR.

I know some will say that he's a young QB and that will come with time. However, the problem is that this isn't a complicated look. It's actually a pretty simple look that even a good college QB should be able to recognize. Imagine what's going to happen when teams start disguising what they're doing. Allen is extremely physically talented, but I don't think he has the mental acuity to be great. I'm not saying he's a stupid kid; I'm saying that he doesn't process things well on the field.

Tano

Legend
Rosen possibly has the best chance for success though.
Rosen has a lot of talent but I don't see him lasting long in the pros with all the concussion and other injury issues he had in college. And with Arizona's offensive line issues, that will only make matters worse for him.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never get too excited about Rookie QBs facing Vanilla D's in the Pre-Season. Most of these guys are just not close to being able to read complex NFL Defenses when they come out, and during Pre-Season, teams don't do a lot of that. Just feels like a false-positive way too often.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rosen has a lot of talent but I don't see him lasting long in the pros with all the concussion and other injury issues he had in college. And with Arizona's offensive line issues, that will only make matters worse for him.
I’d rather you be right on this. Just sayin.

No one should take that as in I am wanting injuries. I just want the wasted 1st rounder by AZ.