2018 NFL Over-Under Win Totals: Rams Super Bowl contender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...smell-like-a-legitimate-super-bowl-contender/

This is not my decrepit house. This is not my ugly wife. The Los Angeles Rams are the opposite of the "Once in a Lifetime" lyrical musing, a team that was grinding through existence under Jeff Fisher before exploding on the scene under Sean McVay in the young coach's first season last year.

The Rams limped through their first season in their new digs, but started to capture the hearts of L.A. denizens everywhere with a breakout offensive season from Jared Goff and Co. last year. Credit Les Snead for refusing to stand pat or get scared: as Gregg Rosenthal of NFL Media noted on the Pick Six Podcast recently, the Rams' trade for Sammy Watkins, which cost them a second-round pick, was ultimately a bust, but they got right back on the trading horse.

"You can't get Marcus Peters in free agency for the price that he is, so he's worth giving up a draft pick. Just the fact that they got out of the gate so fast in February was really smart," Rosenthal said. "The Sammy Watkins trade -- it was a total bust -- it's not going to always work out. But I think you've got to take the swings and I think the players are going to be easier and better to find in a salary cap league than in free agency."

The Rams did that, trading for Peters from the Chiefs and Aqib Talib from the Broncos to give them a picture-perfect cornerback duo for Wade Phillips' defense. They shipped Robert Quinn out to Miami and then promptly signed former Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Suh plus reigning DPOY Aaron Donald plus Michael Brockers on the defensive line is going to cause a lot of people a lot of problems. If they get any pass rush from Samson Ebukam or Matt Longacre, this defense will be downright frightening.

Offensively it would be surprising if they were bad, although taking a step back is totally plausible. Jared Goff shouldn't regress, but he could flatline a bit in his third season (second under McVay). He won't make an exponential step forward based on 2017. Todd Gurley repeating last season -- 279 carries, 1,305 rushing yards, 13 touchdowns not to mention 64 catches and 788 yards in the passing game -- is asking a lot, but it's not inconceivable.

The Rams are the new class of the NFC West, and their 2018 NFL win total of 10 games reflects that.

Desperately wish you had a 30-minutes-or-so, daily NFL podcast in your podcast app every morning by 6 a.m.? Put some Pick Six Podcast in your life and join Will Brinson as he breaks down the latest news and notes from around the league, as well as the win totals on a team-by-team schedule. It's a daily dose of football to get you right for that commute or gym trip. Subscribe: via iTunes | via Stitcher | via TuneIn | via Google Play

Early Schedule Analysis
The Rams won the NFC West last year, and their schedule reflects it. They also lose one home game because they're taking a trip to Mexico to play the Chiefs; it's cool to play a high-profile international game, but giving up a home contest is a tough break in the NFL. They open at the Raiders, which should be a win, and a home game in Week 2 against the Cardinals sets L.A. up for a fast start. Then things get tricky: Week 3 is the Chargers (home), Week 4 is the Vikings (home) and the next three weeks are road games against the Seahawks, Broncos and 49ers. They get to come off that stretch with a home game against the Packers and follow that up with a road game against the Saints. Woof. The Seahawks at home and Chiefs in Mexico give way to a Week 12 bye. They close out the season with the Lions (away), Bears (away), Eagles (home), Cardinals (away) and 49ers (home). There's potential to go streaking down the stretch, and if they dominate from Week 4 through Week 11 they just might look like one of the best teams in the NFL.

Why They'll Go Over
Goff taking a step back would be a major disappointment, and a major surprise considering how much better he looked in Year 1 of McVay's system. Just like with Kirk Cousins, Goff was given easily definable reads and executed very well. It's a point-guard style offense, and he can distribute in impressive fashion. If Gurley runs like he did last year, the Rams are just going to be dangerous. And I can't find a reason why the defense would be bad. They don't need Ebukam or Longacre to be superstars, they just need to be average pass rushers and this team will be tough. Suh-Donald-Brockers is just absolutely disgusting and Peters-Talib has flamethrower potential, but they can shut any team down. Honestly the only reason to not take this over is the stretch of games they have in the middle of the season that looks like a murderer's row. But it might look a lot easier midway through and the Rams should be able to handle it.

Why They'll Go Under
Perhaps teams get a long look at Goff this offseason and figure out how to slow down the Rams offense. It's possible! Gurley might not have 2,000 scrimmage yards this year. Don't forget we're just a year removed from him plummeting to the late-second and early-third round of fantasy drafts because he was so bad in 2016. Gurley is an otherworldly talent but the NFL is fickle when it comes to running backs. Sammy Watkins' loss might not move the needle, but if Brandin Cooks doesn't make a major impact, it could be felt. Cooks has been traded by both the Saints and the Patriots, which is the red-flag equivalent of being a highly successful person in your mid 30s unable to hold a serious relationship with anyone. I literally don't have an answer for how the defense will be bad, but I guess people could get injured. The schedule -- which, again, is brutal the way it looks right now -- could cause them to take the division with nine wins.

The Pick
The way that things flipped for Los Angeles will have people clamoring to take the over, so that's a little concerning. Again, I'm worried about the schedule and things not going perfectly. But there is too much talent on both sides of the ball and too much high quality coaching on both sides of the ball not to get on board with the Rams winning double-digit games in 2018.

VERDICT: OVER

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I’ll say over, as well. As a matter of fact, I’m calling the SWEEP now. 6-0 in the division. Sean McVay will remember week 17 and have a focused game plan against the Whiners.

This article was pretty good overall. A couple notes, though:

• Calling Sammy Watkins a “total bust” is a bit of hyperbole. Sure, he was not resigned. That’s just Les, not playing scared. But 8 tds. And plenty of key catches that contributed greatly to last years #1 scoring team. NOT a total bust.
  • Goff won’t “flatline” this year. (Maybe he could look up this term, then click on his thesaurus feature in the editing process?) Goff is still learning, and had a TON of room to hit his ceiling. Plus he sat a game. I say 65% completion, 4,500 yds and 35/10 sounds about right to me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
12-13 wins....
train

I said 13 wins and home field, assuming they beat PHIL and MINN, in another thread and setting an over under at 10 wins is low IMO. If they played starters last year in week 18 they would have had 12 wins.

Calling Sammy Watkins a “total bust” is a bit of hyperbole. Sure, he was not resigned. That’s just Les, not playing scared. But 8 tds. And plenty of key catches that contributed greatly to last years #1 scoring team. NOT a total bust.

I agree it was not a total bust. He did contribute but people still feel like he should have put up "#1 WR numbers" but nobody in this O is going to do that. Ever.

Goff is still learning, and had a TON of room to hit his ceiling. Plus he sat a game. I say 65% completion, 4,500 yds and 35/10 sounds about right to me.

If Goff hits those numbers I'd be surprised because McVay likes a semi-balanced attack. I've compared him to Martz but where he differs is he doesn't give up on the running game as often. He will pass more than run but he isn't going to go full on passpasspass. So Goff may not have the opportunity to get that many yards, but I can see him edging past 4,000. As far as TD's he could hit 35 if he plays all 16 games.

I'd like to see him get to 67% completion percentage, that would put him in the top 5 and would signal his arrival as a passer.

The key to his season is going to be Gurley..........again. If teams fear him breaking big gainers like they did last year it gives the WR's space to work and Goff WILL find them. His ability in the run game kept defenses honest.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think mcvay will learn alot from the falcons playoff game. they went all out to stop gurley in the pass game. why didn't the rams torch them down the field? towards the end of the first half they moved the ball at will. the next time teams try to take gurley away like that mcvay has to have a plan to make them pay early.

i refuse to believe that he can't work out a way to make teams pay for zeroing in on gurley.