2018 NFL Mock Draft: Post-Week 8 1st-Round Predictions for All Prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know much about the guy they have us taking but I could like any of the guys taken after us except the RB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've got Quenton Nelson as 1st rounder but not Mike McGlinchey?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Billy Price is a heck of a player and smart guy too, however, I really want a CB in the first, NT in the 3rd and then maybe an OT in the 4th. I would resign Sully to a two year deal and look to draft his replacement in 2019, but a CB in the first is a must and maybe again in the 5th.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't know about a CB in the first that I like enough for that pick.

It's too early for a full mock and all, but I like something closer to

1) Da'Ron Payne*, NT, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 319.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.

Uses his hands very well (for an NT to be fast enough to use a swim move to turn around a Center or Guard is ridiculous and he does this), great base and plays with leverage, pad level and power. He plays ass down, head up, so he can play the 2 gap NT that frees up WP to move AD around. He's not just a big body, but can also collapse the pocket.

3) Lorenzo Carter, 3-4OLB, Georgia
Height: 6-6. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.

Rush OLB with bend and burst. With the almost desperate state of CBs in this draft especially as more teams seem to be playing off-man concepts (don't ask me why) it's possible that guys like Carter slip a little. Or he blows up the combine and lands late in the first round. He's a guy I can see us trading up for if he's there late in the second/early third.

4) Jamal Peters*, CB, Mississippi State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 218.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.

Jamal Peters is a press-man corner who is a solid fit for WP's 3-4 and is also very capable of playing in the physical style as this D dictates from the outside. He can play man or zone and unlike so many CB prospects, he isn't tagged with the "can't play the ball" designation.

Beyond that, who knows?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't know about a CB in the first that I like enough for that pick.

Beyond that, who knows?

Well, if the Rams lose Johnson I sure hope they sign a veteran CB (Malcolm Butler) because if not, drafting a CB in the 4th not sure that is the guy the Rams would want to start from day one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, if the Rams lose Johnson I sure hope they sign a veteran CB (Malcolm Butler) because if not, drafting a CB in the 4th not sure that is the guy the Rams would want to start from day one.
I have already deleted Trumaine Johnson from my future Ram plans when the season concludes den.

If lets say Demoff & Snead are able to secure the future services of three UFA Ram DB's....#1. Our most versatile DB Lamarcus Joyner who plays the Nickle, both safety posts & outside corner. #2- Nickell Robey-Coleman who can play outside corner & the Nickle plus deep safety Cody Davis. IF that were to happen & Tru departs for the Raiders, 49ers or the Steelers or Browns....the Rams would then have 3 fully capable corners types (though small) beginning with Webster who has 5 seasons under his belt, NR-C who is a 5 yr vet & safety Cody Davis who is a 5 yr vet that works well in the Wade scheme ....to go with youngster 3rd round 2017 selection JJ the 3rd for a decent standard core Five player secondary.

Rams can if they desire easy enough resign corners Troy Hill :cautious:, & they already have corners Peterson & Hatfield along with safeties Countess & Christian who been active this season to assist Wade "D" too. So if you added in the draft a few bigger taller corners utilizing 2 of the 3 {3rd 4th 5th or our three 6th rd selections}.... to go with what we have already have it would put Wade in good not great situation .

Signing 3 Ram DB's LJ, Cody & NR-C would cost about the same in 2018 as Trumaine Johnson alone cost us this 2017 season. Thus saving that First rounder to secure the BPA for a starter @ Edge Rusher or run stuffing, space eating Nose Tackle or future starting LT.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After watching the first quarter a lil bit, I think Josh Allen goes #1 overall

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have already deleted Trumaine Johnson from my future Ram plans when the season concludes den.

If lets say Demoff & Snead are able to secure the future services of three UFA Ram DB's....#1. Our most versatile DB Lamarcus Joyner who plays the Nickle, both safety posts & outside corner. #2- Nickell Robey-Coleman who can play outside corner & the Nickle plus deep safety Cody Davis. IF that were to happen & Tru departs for the Raiders, 49ers or the Steelers or Browns....the Rams would then have 3 fully capable corners types (though small) beginning with Webster who has 5 seasons under his belt, NR-C who is a 5 yr vet & safety Cody Davis who is a 5 yr vet that works well in the Wade scheme ....to go with youngster 3rd round 2017 selection JJ the 3rd for a decent standard core Five player secondary.

Rams can if they desire easy enough resign corners Troy Hill :cautious:, & they already have corners Peterson & Hatfield along with safeties Countess & Christian who been active this season to assist Wade "D" too. So if you added in the draft a few bigger taller corners utilizing 2 of the 3 {3rd 4th 5th or our three 6th rd selections}.... to go with what we have already have it would put Wade in good not great situation .

Signing 3 Ram DB's LJ, Cody & NR-C would cost about the same in 2018 as Trumaine Johnson alone cost us this 2017 season. Thus saving that First rounder to secure the BPA for a starter @ Edge Rusher or run stuffing, space eating Nose Tackle or future starting LT.

Letting Tru go greatly depletes the defensive backfield. He would be a huge loss with his length. It would be tough to find an comparable replacement in FA or the 3rd-6th rounds of the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Letting Tru go greatly depletes the defensive backfield. He would be a huge loss with his length. It would be tough to find an comparable replacement in FA or the 3rd-6th rounds of the draft.
I agree fully that finding a UFA replacement for our best outside corner would be very tough & also very expensive. I would not go that direction period. However I would push hard to sign our Nickle-back NR-C to a new 3 yr contract. I would also do the same on Deep/Nickle Safety
Cody Davis if Lamarcus Joyner signs elsewhere. Rams could get both NRC & LJ for what it would cost to retain Trumaine.

Snead has demonstrated great ability to select starting DB's in the draft over & over again. Trumaine himself was a 3rd rd pick. I have no problems if Snead drafts another newer seriously less costly clones Trumaine Johnson, JJ III, EJ Gaines or TJ McDonald types again.

Taking the hit in the salary cap for the next half decade to retain Trumaine Johnson would be a major mistake for the future of this team. Better to use those millions on the UFA signings of Goff protective barrier Saffold/Sullivan/Havenstein/Brown. Better to seek much less costly DB's like NR-C & Cody Davis & let Snead use his magic-wand again in the secondary where rookies usually get on the field fast & play.

Trumaine Johnson is heading north for the Bay area for his next big contract. Write that down memory data o_O

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree fully that finding a UFA replacement for our best outside corner would be very tough & also very expensive. I would not go that direction period. However I would push hard to sign our Nickle-back NR-C to a new 3 yr contract. I would also do the same on Deep/Nickle Safety
Cody Davis if Lamarcus Joyner signs elsewhere. Rams could get both NRC & LJ for what it would cost to retain Trumaine.

Snead has demonstrated great ability to select starting DB's in the draft over & over again. Trumaine himself was a 3rd rd pick. I have no problems if Snead drafts another newer seriously less costly clones Trumaine Johnson, JJ III, EJ Gaines or TJ McDonald types again.

Taking the hit in the salary cap for the next half decade to retain Trumaine Johnson would be a major mistake for the future of this team. Better to use those millions on the UFA signings of Goff protective barrier Saffold/Sullivan/Havenstein/Brown. Better to seek much less costly DB's like NR-C & Cody Davis & let Snead use his magic-wand again in the secondary where rookies usually get on the field fast & play.

Trumaine Johnson is heading north for the Bay area for his next big contract. Write that down memory data o_O

Guys like Tru take time to develop. He was not as good as a rookie as he is now. That is the norm for third round corners. They get drafted on potential. Some pan out and some don't. Banking on Snead landing another third round corner that could develop in two years is not much help right now. The odds of him finding a corner that can play to Tru's ability instantly are very slim.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Rams 2018 NFL mock draft: 4-round projection entering Week 17
usatsi_10332551.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 24 hours ago

The NFL Draft is still months away, and for the first time in a while, Rams fans aren’t looking forward to their team selecting a blue-chip talent high in the first round. Instead, they’re focused on winning a playoff game, and potentially a Super Bowl.

That being said, it’s always draft season at Draft Wire where Luke Easterling cooked up his latest four-round mock draft. He has the Rams alternating with defense and offense, looking at the secondary in the first round.

28. Los Angeles Rams | Denzel Ward | CB | Ohio State

If Trumaine Johnson doesn’t return, the Rams will have to invest premium resources in finding his replacement. What Ward lacks in ideal size, he makes up for in just about every other area of his game, giving the Buckeyes another first-round talent out of a secondary that produced three last year.

In the third round, Easterling has the Rams going offense with lineman Mason Cole, who’s been invited to the Senior Bowl next month.

92. Los Angeles Rams | Mason Cole | OL | Michigan
In the fourth round, the Rams take Josh Allen. No, not that Josh Allen, but the linebacker out of Kentucky. He would add good depth in Los Angeles as an edge rusher.

124. Los Angeles Rams | Josh Allen | LB | Kentucky

WalterFootball :

27. Isaiah Oliver | CB | Colorado

91. James Hearns | OLB | Louisville

124. Mark Fields | CB | Clemson

DraftSite.com :

26. Isaiah Oliver | CB | Colorado

90. Geron Christian | OT | Louisville

122. Chad Thomas | DE | Miami

DraftWire.USAToday :

28. Jaire Alexander | CB | Louisville

92. Alex Cappa | OT | Humboldt St.

124. Josh Allen | OLB | Kentucky

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks like this article has those Left Tackles going fast & hard in the first round projections.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eek-8-1st-round-predictions-for-all-prospects

Yeah it's a universal draft truth that the LTs who have the feet to start relatively quickly, particularly the ones who have tape of their hands bein on the ground too with good results, will end up being taken high. Supply and demand no way around it.

Nothing would make me happier than to see LT slide to us, but I suspect whoever is there when we pick late round 1 will be graded far lower than the other needs at CB, OLB, and maybe even NT.

Been drivin the wife nuts watchin college ball though lol, and can't wait for that Georgia game on the 1st in particular. Man I love this time of year and it's even better with the Rams going into the playoffs. :)