2015 Top Free Agents: Guards & Centers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/22/2015-top-free-agents-guards-centers/

2015 Top Free Agents: Guards & Centers
Ben Stockwell | February 22, 2015

You’ve surely had a flip through the
PFF Free Agent Tracker by this point, so this set of articles will build nicely on what you’ve already seen. This, our yearly effort to sort the top free agent options at each position, will present a position a day and offer a Top-10 of what’s available.

It’s more than just looking at our grades, but factoring in longevity, age, injuries and so much more in order to tell you who we think are the best gets out there.

Offensive Guards

1. Mike Iupati

2014 Grade: +11.2

2014 Snaps: 970

Few guards in the league can match Iupati’s sheer physical dominance in the running game, let alone any available as a free agent next month. Only once since he entered the league in 2010 has he finished the season outside our top five in our run blocking grades, finishing second to Evan Mathis and Marshal Yanda in 2012 and 2014 respectively.

The question mark for Iupati however, and what may serve to limit his appeal, is his work in pass protection. Since he entered the league he has never been better than an average pass protecting guard and in the last couple of seasons has even fallen away from that. His run blocking is as good as you’ll find in the league, but in a widely pass first league Iupati may be overlooked in favor of more assured pass protectors.

2. Orlando Franklin

2014 Grade: +15.4

2014 Snaps: 1,195

Whether at guard or tackle Franklin will be a highly sought after free agent when the new league year rolls around. After an inconsistent start to the 2014 season at guard Franklin came alive after the defeat to the Rams in Week 11. With an increased focus on the ground game from that point on Franklin displayed a consistency as a run blocker that we rarely saw from him at tackle.

Whether at guard or tackle, Franklin has produced as a run blocker and pass protector in the three years since his 2011 debut. With versatility and an all round game there is even an argument to be made that Franklin is the most valuable free agent offensive lineman available this off-season.

3. Clint Boling

2014 Grade: +4.1

2014 Snaps: 1,012

A key cog in the Bengals’ offensive line since his sophomore season in 2012, Boling turned in his best season as a run blocker this season though his pass protection failed to match his first two seasons as a starter. From their impressive Week 11 victory in New Orleans, Boling earned a run block grade of +1.5 or higher in five out of six games. Prior to that he had only earned a single game run block grade that high twice in his career.

If Boling can pair that run blocking form with his pass protection from 2012 and 2013 then Boling will be a guard on the rise over his next contract. However, if he moves away from Cincinnati and the Bengals quick release offense then his pass protection will come under greater scrutiny.

4. James Carpenter

2014 Grade: -12.0

2014 Snaps: 1,028

A first rounder in 2011 Carpenter has struggled in the NFL at both tackle and guard, struggling in pass protection as a rookie at right tackle and surprisingly struggling to impose himself as a run blocker since he moved inside to guard in 2012.

The last two seasons Carpenter has at least earned (marginally) positive grades as a pass protector for Russell Wilson. The team giving Carpenter his next contract will be eager to see more from him as a run blocker as he’s only earned a run block grade of +1.0 or above in two starts over three seasons at left guard.

5. Rob Sims

2014 Grade: -0.6

2014 Snaps: 1,182

Time may be catching up with Sims, but even in to his thirties he’s still been a safe pair of hands at left guard for the Lions the last two seasons. In 2013 his run blocking fell away markedly, but his final five starts this season (+4.5), including the playoff defeat in Dallas, proved that Sims can still create running lanes on the inside.

Last season was Sims’ first full season with a negative grade in pass protection since 2007 though he is now two years removed from his best play in that regard in 2011 (+13.4) and 2012 (+11.1). “True” multi-year deals may not be on the table for Sims but teams could do far worse than bring him in on a short term deal to fill a hole at left guard while they search out a longer term option.

6. Joe Berger

2014 Grade: +3.3

2014 Snaps: 626

One of the older free agent guards on the market at 33 (when the 2015 season starts), Berger’s mileage does not match his age. Whenever he has played at guard or center for the Dolphins and Vikings, Berger has played well but has only topped 700 snaps once in his career (a full season as starter at center for Miami in 2010).

Replacing Vladimir Ducasse at guard in Week 7 (starting from Week 8), Berger proved that he still has quality performances in the tank having played less than 300 snaps in 2013 and 2012 for the Vikings. After struggling with Gerald McCoy in pass protection in his first start of the season (who didn’t struggle with McCoy?) Berger was sound in pass protection. He did set up some good running lanes against such strong defensive interiors as the Panthers (+2.3) and the Lions (+1.7). Signing Berger would get very little buzz, but would be a strong addition to any team’s roster.

Centers

1. Rodney Hudson

2014 Grade: +13.0

2014 Snaps: 1,031

Ever since Hudson moved to the middle of the Chiefs’ offensive line he has produced consistently strong displays, improving each season after an injury shortened 2012 season. Grading positively as a pass protector and a run blocker in each of the last two seasons, Hudson’s poor displays are few and far between, only grading negatively in both facets in the same game five times in the last two seasons.

After struggling to see the field as a rookie and losing his second season to injury in the third game of the season Hudson is a player on the rise as he hits free agency and though not yet among the league’s elite centers his performances over the last two seasons suggest he may be ascending to that level.

2. Stefen Wisniewski

2014 Grade: -2.5

2014 Snaps: 1041

Taken seven picks before Hudson in 2011, the Raiders and Chiefs have both found solid young centers that they will surely look to retain and keep off the open market. Last season was Wisniewski’s first as a starting center that he concluded with a negative overall grade, thanks solely to his poor pass protection this season.

Before that Wisniewski had built solid seasons around his pass protection in 2012 and his run blocking in 2013 with terrific back to back games against the Giants (+4.1) and Texans (+4.4) in back to back weeks that season the best of his career. Much like Hudson the challenge for Wisniewski to grow in the coming years is putting his best form as a run blocker and pass protector together for an extended period, converting his potential into performance.

3. Brian De La Puente

2014 Grade: +4.3

2014 Snaps: 501

Three strong seasons as a starter for the Saints only got De La Puente a backup gig with the Bears last season, reuniting with former line coach Aaron Kromer in the Windy City. Even strong displays to start the season (+8.2 through Week 5) with Roberto Garza injured didn’t see De La Puente maintain his place in the lineup, only returning at left guard when the Bears were shorthanded mid-season.

Both with the Saints and Bears, De La Puente has excelled as a run blocker in the middle of the line earning a positive run block grade every season as a starter. De La Puente may be out of the limelight entering free agency as a backup but teams in need of a starting center could do far worse than look in his direction.

4. Will Montgomery

2014 Grade: +6.6

2014 Snaps: 665

Much like De La Puente, Montgomery is an underappreciated veteran who provided largely solid play off the bench for a new team last season. After an underrated stint with Washington, Montgomery put in a solid showing with the Broncos after a late season shuffle on the offensive line.

Entering the Broncos’ starting lineup in Week 10, but for a poor fortnight against the Bills (-4.4) and Chargers (-1.1), Montgomery consistently earned positive grades surrendering only five pressures in his nine starts. He also played his part in the improved Broncos’ ground attack late in the season. At 32 teams are unlikely to look to Montgomery as their “plan A” at center but as he showed for the Broncos he offers valuable depth and competition off the bench in a zone scheme.

Follow Ben on Twitter: @PFF_Ben

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Lord if we could find the $$ for Iupati and Hudson I would wet myself.

EDIT: I'm wondering if Franklin might actually be better overall than Iupati. (pass blocking)

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Iupati, Hudson, Franklin the Rams need to sign one of those guys at the very least.

JRobinson

MiLB
I'm tired of signing the older Centers who show up and then wash up... Jason Brown, Scott Wells. Rodney Hudson is young and talented. I'm not concerned about injuries due to his track record at FSU. He's smart, and stronger than he looks. Not to mention, he has quick feet. My vote is Hudson or Iupati.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Cutting Long and Wells will give us enough to sign a couple right?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
For me:

A) Sign Iupati and draft Cam Erving

or

B) Sign Hudson and draft Sherff

I prefer option A

Alan

Legend
Memento wondering why the absence:
ALAN, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! This site has seriously missed you.
Sorry Memento, haven't been feeling well since early December. At least in the last week or so I've occasionally had a good day. :(

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just wanted to add that KC's A. Smith pretty much never hung onto the ball unlike OAK's Carr. This is why I don't like stats.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Give me a guy named Orlando for our O-line anytime ;) So my WIBNI shortlist is:

FA Sign: Orlando Franklin OT
FA Sign: Rodney Hudson C

Draft: Brandon Scherff OG

Cut: Wells
Cut: Joseph

Re-sign: Long (with a re-structured contract & move him inside)
Re-sign: Barksdale (if the cost is right)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
But... De La Puente, could also be a good pickup, probably cheaper as he wasn't a starter last year?!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
images
hudson2.jpg

BuZzB33

UDFA
Name
BuZzb33
We should sign by Orlando Franklin OT and Rodney Hudson C and Mike Lupati. . I am not sure if Mike Lupati has little injured his knee. I hope Lupati should get full health his knee.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Last year, we couldn't run or pass protect consistently.

I know conventional wisdom says that you tweak rather than rebuild the offensive line, but it's been so bad for so long that I wouldn't mind starting over with Saffold and Robinson being the only two starters from last year.

I know everyone likes Barksdale, but he's testing free agency, which likely means he could get an offer that we're not willing to match, considering that we're probably going to prioritize pass blocking.

So, even if they part ways with both Long and Wells, will we really be able to afford Franklin and Hudson, plus a right tackle?

Even if they draft a swing tackle, which I hope they do, what is the chance that he starts at tackle, and how long does Saffold last there?

Yeah, I have more questions than answers, this should prove to be an exciting offseason.

I'm so wishing that we could have moved up to grab Bitonio last year.