FEATURE 20 Random Things to be Thankful For (*20RT Bonus Edition*)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It’s almost Thanksgiving and, though things seem bleak, we Rams fans have a lot to be thankful for. Here are just a few:

1. The Rams just won the Super Bowl.

2. Yes, that’s obvious, and saying it may seem a bit trite. But its important to remind ourselves just how special and how rare last year was.

3. I know that I remember the valiant effort of the 1979 Rams, who went toe-to-toe with the Steeler Dynasty, far more than I remember the seasons that followed.

4. I know that I remember the 1999 GSOT fairy tale far more than I remember the doldrums of the Linehan and Fisher years.

5. And, as much as this year stings, I know that, years from now, I’ll remember the glory of beating Tom Brady on his field, coming from behind to eliminate the 49ers, and winning the big game in our stadium, far more than I’ll remember this year’s debacle.

6. I get it, though… Sports fandom is a “what have you done for me lately” and “its never enough” type of endeavor. So, rather than blowing smoke up anyone’s posterior in addressing our prospects for the remainder of this year, let me list a few things that make me hopeful for the future.

7. First, there is still a core of talent that will almost certainly return in 2023. Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald, Bobby Wagner and Jalen Ramsey are true stars and, with the right supporting cast, can do great things.

8. There is also a secondary cast of guys who, with the right players around them, can be part of a contending squad. I include in that list Allan Robinson, Tyler Higbee, Rob Havenstein, Leonard Floyd and Ernest Jones. I’d also include Greg Gaines and Matt Gay, assuming they are re-signed.

9. The offensive line is a mess. That’s well-coverer territory. The Rams will need to make rebuilding the OL the primary focus of the offseason. It should be our focus both in free agency and in the draft.

10. Do we need five star OL? No. If we can find a quality LT (I favor taking one in Round 2 of the draft) and a veteran presence inside (OG or center), I think you can mix in (in addition to Hav returning) guys like Brian Allen (who, after all, started every game in a championship season), Coleman Shelton (who, arguably, played better than Allan before he was hurt) and even AJ Jackson (who should be healthy next year) to fill out a quality OL.

11. Running back will be an interesting position to watch. Kyren Williams will get his chances, and Cam Akers is somehow back in the fold. I strongly suspect we’ll target a RB again in the draft (or, possibly, FA). Sean McVay was clearly not happy with what we have.

12. As for the defense. There have been many debates about the philosophy/approach of Raheem Morris but, truth be told, the defense has played fairly well overall this year. Yes, we need another pass rusher, and perhaps some new blood at safety, but I sure would like to see how this defense would fare teamed with an offense that sustains drives and scores points.

13. Getting back to the theme of thankfulness, the recent mention of Torry Holt’s HOF candidacy (he’d better get in this year!) reminds me of how important it is to savor the presence of truly special players when they are here.

14. Cooper Kupp is a player like that. A few years ago, I never thought that the Rams WR “Mount Rushmore” of Elroy Hirsch, Henry Ellard, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt could ever be challenged. Kupp’s 2021 proved me wrong. And, the great thing is…he’s far from done.

15. Aaron Donald is an all-time player. Watching him is a privilege. I hope and expect he’ll continue to wow us until he decides to hang up his cleats.

16. I also find hope in the belief that we have a front office that will do whatever it takes to win. “F them picks” was the right moves to get us to the top of the hill in 2021. Now, as we retool, they might reverse the script. Perhaps we trade an asset to get back in the draft? I would not put anything past Snead and Co.

17. Can’t hurt to have a 3rd or 4th place schedule next year.

18. Some may respond to this with questions. What if McVay is lured by TV? What if Stafford decides to go way of Andrew Luck? What if Donald retires? I don’t expect any of these things to happen but, if they do, I’ll be simultaneously bummed and energized by the anticipation of what will happen next.

19. And that, ultimately, is the point. As fans, we want to be excited by the possibilities of tomorrow. Sure, for the balance of this season, that anticipation will be in short supply. But, once the season ends, it returns. We’ll be scouting the draft class, scouring the FA lists, and waiting for the next big piece of news to break. With each positive development, our hope for the future will grow and, with a bit of luck, those hopes will be fulfilled.

20. So, give thanks, my Rams brothers and sisters. We’re down for now, but we have a lot to be thankful for, a lot to look forward to, and, at the very least, we’re not Cardinals or Browns fans!

Tano

Legend
9. The offensive line is a mess. That’s well-coverer territory. The Rams will need to make rebuilding the OL the primary focus of the offseason. It should be our focus both in free agency and in the draft.
This times 1000

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What I love about the NFL… even when the Rams are not playing well, I enjoy watching other games/matchups and the league as a whole.

No other sport is like that for me.

Thanksgiving was a great example. Awesome day of football. I had a great football day!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
With regard to 12, I want a different scheme. I want a D that plays more aggressively and opportunistically instead of passively and hoping bad things don't happen to them, one that gets turnovers.

But agree on everything else.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
McVay is in uncharted territory--I'm sure the "locker room" is much more of a challenge in times like these. Staff would never say anything publicly, but I wonder if, for example, after a couple concussions, there's not some resentment for letting the OL rot.

It'll be interesting to watch McVay navigate, but I have no doubt he'll be the best at it (I definitely hope it doesn't involve walking away, and I don't think it will).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
but I wonder if, for example, after a couple concussions, there's not some resentment for letting the OL rot.
Not sure I would classify what has happened to this OL that way. I have never seen a run of injuries to any position group that can touch what has happened to out OL this year. Simply unprecedented.

Flint

Pro Bowler
With regard to 12, I want a different scheme. I want a D that plays more aggressively and opportunistically instead of passively and hoping bad things don't happen to them, one that gets turnovers.

But agree on everything else.
This defense needed better play from the corners and safeties which hopefully will come in the future but this d was designed to complement the offense we thought we had which was one that could put up points, possibly a lot. And then there’s the pass rush, I think Von was a done deal and there was no plan b.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Avenger:

I would like to weigh in on #17 and 18.

The likely 4th place schedule may not seem like a big deal to some because that’s really only 3 games difference from the 1rst place schedule, but it can be a lifesaver. Outside of our division, we’re gonna get a total of 5 last place teams. I’m too weary right now to look into which divisions are next in the rotation, but getting teams like the panthers, bears, texans, or browns, could certainly help a team coming off a disastrous season, but only 2 years removed from the SB. Excellent point, Avenger.

As for the possibility of retirements, only Stafford seems like a real possibility. Too many concussions is no joke. As for Donald and McVay, I just don’t see them going out that way. Sure, they could be kicking themselves right now for not going out on top, but they could be a bit embarrassed after this season ends. They might want another crack at a fair fight.

All in all, there are still several players I would like to see play before the season ends. There’s no reason why they shouldn’t ge

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of drafting a Rookie to man the LOT, how about a veteran LT ( as close to a Whitworth type as possible) and let a young player get more mentoring.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Instead of drafting a Rookie to man the LOT, how about a veteran LT ( as close to a Whitworth type as possible) and let a young player get more mentoring.
Good LTs that hit free agency are few and far between. I believe Whitworth was 35 or 36; and many "Experts" thought his best years were behind him. Just took a quick look at Spotrac for pending Unrestricted Free Agent Left Tackles. It ain't a robust group.

Orlando Brown Jr. is the best but will not hit free agency. After that, there's George Fant, Isaiah Wynn, Andre Dillard, Cameron Erving and Kelvin Beachum. There are some good RTs but none have played on the left side. They are led by Elgton Jenkins, Jake Conklin and Mike McGlinchey but I don't know any of them hit free agency.

Truth is, a healthy Joe Noteboom could be the best option. Question is whether a HEALTHY Noteboom exists.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This defense needed better play from the corners and safeties which hopefully will come in the future but this d was designed to complement the offense we thought we had which was one that could put up points, possibly a lot. And then there’s the pass rush, I think Von was a done deal and there was no plan b.

And the bolded part is a big part of the problem now. We haven't had that offense since about the 2nd or 3rd week of the season, if we even had it then. But it's still run as if we are putting up 30 points per game.

Granted, I wouldn't like it even if the offense was piling up the yards and points, but I could at least tolerate it. But when the offense is struggling, we need the D to step up and make something happen to change the momentum and the scheme makes that virtually impossible.