20 Random I don’t mind leg room on the bandwagon thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
NOTE: Sorry, I'm late with these due to traveling.

1. Disappointing Sunday at the end of what was otherwise a great sports weekend for me (Michigan - son's alma mater - beat OSU, Virginia Tech - daughter's alma mater - beat Virginia, Miami Heat beat Bulls).

2. The Rams are good enough to beat the Packers, but not with mistakes that give them three drives that start inside the 30 and a pick 6.

3. The defensive scheme is a big problem. Its almost like we play prevent for the entire game.

4. If you think of it, that scheme is the worst possible scheme for this team. It keeps our offense, which is more potent than recent scores would suggest, off the field. Moreover, it keeps our pass rushers, who were getting into the Packers' backfield consistently, from getting home.

5. As many have noted, Troy Reeder was just awful. His coverage was terrible and he missed several tackles. There needs to be a change there.

6. OBJ showed us a flash of what he could be and, thankfully, his back is okay.

7. It is more than fair to suggest that we kept the wrong punter this offseason.

8. The 3rd and 1 running play to Henderson on the final scoring drive was downright embarrassing. How someone as smart as McVay could do something that stupid is beyond me.

9. I like Van Jefferson, and he made some plays on Sunday, but he needs to learn to come back for the ball and make DBs play through him.

10. That said, the refs were keeping their flags in their pockets on DB infractions all day for both teams, so I'm not sure he would have drawn penalties if he had boxed out more.

11. Injuries have been a particularly big factor this year. Obviously, it starts with Cam Akers, who would have made a big difference this season, and continues with SJD and Robert Woods.

12. It does not end there, though. The decimation of our rookie class has impacted key depth areas and special teams. That is a big problem for a team that relies on late round picks for those roles.

13. As for the Stafford "injury" reports, I really have nothing to say. I don't know how he is truly feeling, and neither do you. I don't know how it is impacting his game, and neither do you. Let's be honest... he's been making "wow" throws (all 3 TDs) and head-scratchers lately. Is that the result of "injuries," or just pressure. Feel free to guess. I'm not going to bother.

14. The negativity from the world of talking heads is not surprising. They are weather vanes. They point where the wind blows. If, in 3 weeks, the Rams are 10-4, the same people mocking our team will be lauding the "all in" approach.

15. As for the fans (particularly those active on internet forums), the dread and dismay is also not surprising. The question is... can you handle what this team is right now?

16. And what is this team? Well, for one, its a playoff team. That is simple math. Even if we split the final 6 games, we'll make the playoffs.

17. I'll take it one step further. In a few days, the Rams will be 8-4 after easily beating the Jaguars (who are tailor-made for our team and will be playing in our house). The team will be feeling relief and added confidence, and will be poised to clinch a playoff spot well before the final week. So, the question is... how good can the Rams be in a month?

18. I'm fine with that. I'm resigned to the fact that, absent a collapse by the Cardinals, the division title is probably out of reach. I'm okay with going into the playoffs as an underdog. I still have hope for a "lightning in a bottle" run.

19. I also realize that, just one month ago, my aspirations were much higher. But there are no sure things, and I'm just glad to still be in the mix (ask Seahawk fans how they feel).

20. So, if the bandwagon has fewer riders, that's fine. I don't mind the leg room.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Rams are good enough to beat the Packers

This is by far the most frustrating part. I dont feel like any team outside of the Whiners has actually beat us this season. We shot ourselves in the foot in our other three loses and couldn't overcome mistakes.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Valid points Avenger. Rams are as of now, complete and total frauds. They're 1-4 against winning teams, and all 4 losses haven't really been close. Beating awful teams doesn't prove anything.

A few things.

1. Stafford hasn't played well. 6 turnovers including 3 pick 6s in 3 games. Now some vague injury reports come out? He is 33 and played 12 years with Detroit where he took a pounding. It is what it is. He also threw some dimes Sunday, so who the hell knows. His mechanics look stiff to me as if he's favoring something. He also wears an arm sleeve. Back injuries can be chronic at his age.

2. Rams defense is way off from last year, and I agree the scheme is awful. Ramsey you can tell hates it. Rams also lost 4 guys (Brockers, Hill, JJ and Fox) from last year, so the talent IMO isn't as good. But playing Ramsey on a backup TE on a crucial third down is a joke. They also generated zero pass rush Sunday aginst a make shift Packers O line.

3. McVay's offense isn't fooling anyone good anymore. No balance, 11 personnel I guess he'll take to his grave. Henderson isn't explosive and his vision is poor, but McVay doesn't call enough runs to get him going. How about 21 or 22 personnel? I guess we're so pathetically thin at TE we can't even run two TE. McVay may have jumped the shark folks.

4. My expectations are nil for this team. I do think they'll win 9 games which will get them the WC spot and a 1 and done. The division is over and would be a long shot even if we beat Arizona. Next year will be the same if not worse unless changes are made to the offensive and defensive philosophies.

5. Injuries aren't an excuse, every team deals with them. Want to cry about Akers and Woods, fine, but go look at what other teams have to deal with.

Sorry for the ramble

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is by far the most frustrating part. I dont feel like any team outside of the Whiners has actually beat us this season. We shot ourselves in the foot in our other three loses and couldn't overcome mistakes.

And what's frustrating about the Whiners loss is that it looked like McVay took out his gameplan from either of last year's losses to them, dusted it off and used it again. If actions speak louder than words, it says he learned nothing from those losses last year (or took the wrong lessons, which I suspect is at least part of it).

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’m always on board no matter what - but I am certainly concerned. I think the Jax game is a must win, and if we inexplicably find a way to lose that one (which I think is unlikely but you never know), then we’re really screwed.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
NOTE: Sorry, I'm late with these due to traveling.

1. Disappointing Sunday at the end of what was otherwise a great sports weekend for me (Michigan - son's alma mater - beat OSU, Virginia Tech - daughter's alma mater - beat Virginia, Miami Heat beat Bulls).

2. The Rams are good enough to beat the Packers, but not with mistakes that give them three drives that start inside the 30 and a pick 6.

3. The defensive scheme is a big problem. Its almost like we play prevent for the entire game.

4. If you think of it, that scheme is the worst possible scheme for this team. It keeps our offense, which is more potent than recent scores would suggest, off the field. Moreover, it keeps our pass rushers, who were getting into the Packers' backfield consistently, from getting home.

5. As many have noted, Troy Reeder was just awful. His coverage was terrible and he missed several tackles. There needs to be a change there.

6. OBJ showed us a flash of what he could be and, thankfully, his back is okay.

7. It is more than fair to suggest that we kept the wrong punter this offseason.

8. The 3rd and 1 running play to Henderson on the final scoring drive was downright embarrassing. How someone as smart as McVay could do something that stupid is beyond me.

9. I like Van Jefferson, and he made some plays on Sunday, but he needs to learn to come back for the ball and make DBs play through him.

10. That said, the refs were keeping their flags in their pockets on DB infractions all day for both teams, so I'm not sure he would have drawn penalties if he had boxed out more.

11. Injuries have been a particularly big factor this year. Obviously, it starts with Cam Akers, who would have made a big difference this season, and continues with SJD and Robert Woods.

12. It does not end there, though. The decimation of our rookie class has impacted key depth areas and special teams. That is a big problem for a team that relies on late round picks for those roles.

13. As for the Stafford "injury" reports, I really have nothing to say. I don't know how he is truly feeling, and neither do you. I don't know how it is impacting his game, and neither do you. Let's be honest... he's been making "wow" throws (all 3 TDs) and head-scratchers lately. Is that the result of "injuries," or just pressure. Feel free to guess. I'm not going to bother.

14. The negativity from the world of talking heads is not surprising. They are weather vanes. They point where the wind blows. If, in 3 weeks, the Rams are 10-4, the same people mocking our team will be lauding the "all in" approach.

15. As for the fans (particularly those active on internet forums), the dread and dismay is also not surprising. The question is... can you handle what this team is right now?

16. And what is this team? Well, for one, its a playoff team. That is simple math. Even if we split the final 6 games, we'll make the playoffs.

17. I'll take it one step further. In a few days, the Rams will be 8-4 after easily beating the Jaguars (who are tailor-made for our team and will be playing in our house). The team will be feeling relief and added confidence, and will be poised to clinch a playoff spot well before the final week. So, the question is... how good can the Rams be in a month?

18. I'm fine with that. I'm resigned to the fact that, absent a collapse by the Cardinals, the division title is probably out of reach. I'm okay with going into the playoffs as an underdog. I still have hope for a "lightning in a bottle" run.

19. I also realize that, just one month ago, my aspirations were much higher. But there are no sure things, and I'm just glad to still be in the mix (ask Seahawk fans how they feel).

20. So, if the bandwagon has fewer riders, that's fine. I don't mind the leg room.

I disagree with 17.

I think it's a trap game. Jags beat the Bill 9-6. Their D is legit and we still don't seem to have a scheme answer to Woods being out. They are inconsistent, but our D scheme has been exposed. If they just stick with the run and complete short passes, they will drive at will. Much of the game will come down to whether the Jags can execute "the book" on our D. We'll see. I hope not.

But if anyone is expecting anything beyond a close game, I fear they are headed for disappointment.

If anything, even if we win, I think it will be in a fashion which cements bad answers to important questions and even potentially brings up new questions.

I'd love to be wrong, but damn I have a terrible feeling about this game.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
And what's frustrating about the Whiners loss is that it looked like McVay took out his gameplan from either of last year's losses to them, dusted it off and used it again. If actions speak louder than words, it says he learned nothing from those losses last year (or took the wrong lessons, which I suspect is at least part of it).
I bet mcvay just like alot of people put the losses to sf on the qb and thought a better one would make a difference. Obviously that wasn't the case.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I disagree with 17.

I think it's a trap game. Jags beat the Bill 9-6. Their D is legit and we still don't seem to have a scheme answer to Woods being out. They are inconsistent, but our D scheme has been exposed. If they just stick with the run and complete short passes, they will drive at will. Much of the game will come down to whether the Jags can execute "the book" on our D. We'll see. I hope not.

But if anyone is expecting anything beyond a close game, I fear they are headed for disappointment.

If anything, even if we win, I think it will be in a fashion which cements bad answers to important questions and even potentially brings up new questions.

I'd love to be wrong, but damn I have a terrible feeling about this game.
One week better is my vision of this Rams team…they haven’t played their best game yet.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great post OP. I just don't see how this team can get to 10 wins this year, which I think they will need for a WC. The whiners are surging and only one game behind us with an easier remaining schedule. Unfortunately, I do not get the feeling our second game against them will be much more competitive. Samuel is a Ram KILLER, and we just keep letting him kill us. Rinse repeat. Of course I hope I am wrong.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Great post OP. I just don't see how this team can get to 10 wins this year, which I think they will need for a WC. The whiners are surging and only one game behind us with an easier remaining schedule. Unfortunately, I do not get the feeling our second game against them will be much more competitive. Samuel is a Ram KILLER, and we just keep letting him kill us. Rinse repeat. Of course I hope I am wrong.
9-8 gets in the playoffs easy in the NFC....

We beat Jax this week, mark my words we are in the playoffs. Is that our goal, no of course not; but you gotta get a ticket to the dance.

This IS a playoff team, now if we lose Sunday, which I dont think we will, that changes things.

TXRams86

The Infamous
3. McVay's offense isn't fooling anyone good anymore. No balance, 11 personnel I guess he'll take to his grave. Henderson isn't explosive and his vision is poor, but McVay doesn't call enough runs to get him going. How about 21 or 22 personnel? I guess we're so pathetically thin at TE we can't even run two TE. McVay may have jumped the shark folks.
The heavy reliance on 11 personnel frustrates me to no end. Not because I don't think it's effective, but you've built your offense around having 3 good WRs at all times. Look what happens when one goes down. We were lucky to have signed OBJ right before Woods went down (or because Woods went down, depending on what report you read) but he's not a plug and play WR since he has no experience with our playbook. We're not equipped to run anything but 11 personnel and we don't even have the depth to do so effectively should one of our starting pieces go down.

I could give McVay a pass if he was only our OC and he just had to work with the pieces he was dealt. But he's the freakin' HC and works closely with Snead. You're going to tell me that he hasn't seen the need to add a few elements to his offense and invest what draft stock we have available to ensuring we're not put in the position we're currently in? It's mind blowing really. I won't even begin talking about the bust that is Tutu Atwell, another bone headed decision.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Looking at the way the team has performed and the way the coaches have not even attempted to adapt to changes and results on the field, I'm going to be absolutely shocked if we win another game this year. I'm still with the team, but we're failing in almost every way we can right now.

The Ramowl

Starter
My feeling is that many either forgot where we come from or were there in the Fisher years. I can take 3 wins in a row, we're still 7-4. Some here are talking about firing a head coach that has only had winning seasons after a decade of dreadful losing football. I was a fan when we thought for 2 games that Austin Davis could be the future. Calm down, it's week 12 and we already have the 7 in 7-9, we'll be ok.

This forum is starting to get too used to the luxury of winning regularly and it's honestly pissing me off a little bit. The game thread vs Packers was unbearable.