20 Random 2024 Training Camp Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. And… we’re back!

2. While I have a lot to unpack, I’m going to try not to be a Captain Obvious here. You all know that the Rams are thin at OT and CB, and that we’re relying on several young players to make a mark. You don’t need me to tell you that.

3. Instead, I’m going to tell you what my gut says because, perhaps… others might feel the same way (or entirely differently – that would be interesting too).

4. Last year at this time, I was playing the role of the eternal optimist. I predicted a 10 win season and a playoff birth, notwithstanding the collapse of 2022.

5. Does that make me a prophet? Hardly. I just looked at the roster, assessed a reasonable range of outcomes, and predicted the high end. That’s what optimists do.

6. Using the same thought process this year, I am going to predict 12 regular season wins and at least one playoff win. If the Rams can keep the key guys healthy into the postseason, I see no reason why we can’t contend.

7. There are three factors that guide my prognostication. The first is Matthew Stafford. He is healthier today than he was 12 months ago. If healthy, he is the starting QB in the NFC who I trust the most to win games that are decided based on how well the QB plays, particularly in crunch time.

8. The second factor is the depth of our “skill position corps.” Cooper Kupp’s return to health, coupled with the additions of Blake Corum, Boston Scott and Colby Parkinson will allow Sean McVay to do the two things that make his offense work: (a) run the ball, and (b) keep defenses guessing, confused and off balance.

9. The third factor is an OL that could be the best we’ve had in a while. Certainly, the interior looks like it has elite potential. No substitute for a bunch of maulers up front.

10. You’ll notice that I didn’t list the defense. That’s not because I believe our defense will be a liability. Rather, it’s a matter of too much unknown. That said, if Tre White stays healthy, and top picks Jared Verse and Braden Fiske develop as quickly as Byron Young and Kobe Turner did last year, our defense is going to surprise a lot of people.

11. As a footnote to my formula for optimism, I also have hope for the special teams. If Joshua Karty is as good as I think he is, his addition alone could be worth one extra win.

12. I love the pressure cooker that the 49ers have found themselves in. In 2025, they will have 8 current starters to re-sign, not to mention Brock Purdy who will be entering his final year and looking to be paid. If they don’t win it all this year, their current group will go down as one that truly failed to realize its potential. The thought of that just makes me smile.

13. Speaking of signing QBs… crazy numbers for some good, not great, signal callers.

14. If the Rams play their cards right, it will be 6-7 years (2 more years of Stafford, 5 years of a successor on a rookie deal) before they’ll have to face the prospect of paying elite young QB rates.

15. Of course, by then, the going rate may be $100M per year.

16. I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this time of year. Love that football is back and the glimpses of future stars. Hate worrying about injuries and the over-the-top critiques (and fawning) from random observers.

17. From a guy who’s posted thousands of comments on multiple Rams sites, I wanted to give a shout out to the Admin and Mods here at ROD. I can honestly say that this site is the best combination of participation, appropriate moderation, and quality content of any I’ve been on. Kudos.

18. And I know @Loyal is probably loading a well-deserved blue-fonted snark-torpedo to fire at the preceding display of obsequiousness, but that too is one of the great things about this site!

19. I’m feeling pretty content right now. I have the only thing I really need at this time of year: rational hope for unbounded success.

20. Looking forward to the ride!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
An inside peek from our ROD Staff meeting last night as we were assessing our Members...

Mel Brooks Morons GIF

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I believe our OL depth is adequate. If a player or two gets injured, there won’t be this monumental drop off unlike previous years. Boom, Lev, McClendon, Limmer, McAllister are huge upgrades over what we had previously and could still win a couple games if a starter goes down.

This is like our QB situation, if Staff gets injured, Jimmy could win a few games unlike Rypien. You wouldn’t want him starting in the playoffs just like you don’t want a back up OL starting against strong competition.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This is like our QB situation, if Staff gets injured, Jimmy could win a few games unlike Rypien. You wouldn’t want him starting in the playoffs just like you don’t want a back up OL starting against strong competition.
Of course we wouldn't want JG starting in the postseason. That's mainly because Stafford is elite. Though we've learned to hate SF JG, we shouldn't sell him short. Didn't he help get SF to the SB one season? And that was without McCaffrey and Aiyuk. I'd rate our offensive skill guys above the 2019 niners. That being said, here's hoping #9 plays 20-21 games this season.

I love our offensive depth and can't wait to see the "unknown" NEW defense perform.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. And… we’re back!

2. While I have a lot to unpack, I’m going to try not to be a Captain Obvious here. You all know that the Rams are thin at OT and CB, and that we’re relying on several young players to make a mark. You don’t need me to tell you that.

3. Instead, I’m going to tell you what my gut says because, perhaps… others might feel the same way (or entirely differently – that would be interesting too).

4. Last year at this time, I was playing the role of the eternal optimist. I predicted a 10 win season and a playoff birth, notwithstanding the collapse of 2022.

5. Does that make me a prophet? Hardly. I just looked at the roster, assessed a reasonable range of outcomes, and predicted the high end. That’s what optimists do.

6. Using the same thought process this year, I am going to predict 12 regular season wins and at least one playoff win. If the Rams can keep the key guys healthy into the postseason, I see no reason why we can’t contend.

7. There are three factors that guide my prognostication. The first is Matthew Stafford. He is healthier today than he was 12 months ago. If healthy, he is the starting QB in the NFC who I trust the most to win games that are decided based on how well the QB plays, particularly in crunch time.

8. The second factor is the depth of our “skill position corps.” Cooper Kupp’s return to health, coupled with the additions of Blake Corum, Boston Scott and Colby Parkinson will allow Sean McVay to do the two things that make his offense work: (a) run the ball, and (b) keep defenses guessing, confused and off balance.

9. The third factor is an OL that could be the best we’ve had in a while. Certainly, the interior looks like it has elite potential. No substitute for a bunch of maulers up front.

10. You’ll notice that I didn’t list the defense. That’s not because I believe our defense will be a liability. Rather, it’s a matter of too much unknown. That said, if Tre White stays healthy, and top picks Jared Verse and Braden Fiske develop as quickly as Byron Young and Kobe Turner did last year, our defense is going to surprise a lot of people.

11. As a footnote to my formula for optimism, I also have hope for the special teams. If Joshua Karty is as good as I think he is, his addition alone could be worth one extra win.

12. I love the pressure cooker that the 49ers have found themselves in. In 2025, they will have 8 current starters to re-sign, not to mention Brock Purdy who will be entering his final year and looking to be paid. If they don’t win it all this year, their current group will go down as one that truly failed to realize its potential. The thought of that just makes me smile.

13. Speaking of signing QBs… crazy numbers for some good, not great, signal callers.

14. If the Rams play their cards right, it will be 6-7 years (2 more years of Stafford, 5 years of a successor on a rookie deal) before they’ll have to face the prospect of paying elite young QB rates.

15. Of course, by then, the going rate may be $100M per year.

16. I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this time of year. Love that football is back and the glimpses of future stars. Hate worrying about injuries and the over-the-top critiques (and fawning) from random observers.

17. From a guy who’s posted thousands of comments on multiple Rams sites, I wanted to give a shout out to the Admin and Mods here at ROD. I can honestly say that this site is the best combination of participation, appropriate moderation, and quality content of any I’ve been on. Kudos.

18. And I know @Loyal is probably loading a well-deserved blue-fonted snark-torpedo to fire at the preceding display of obsequiousness, but that too is one of the great things about this site!

19. I’m feeling pretty content right now. I have the only thing I really need at this time of year: rational hope for unbounded success.

20. Looking forward to the ride!
Hey, there is no way of knowing that dark substance on your nose wasn’t make up! (blue font)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1722359621728.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
An inside peek from our ROD Staff meeting last night as we were assessing our Members...

Mel Brooks Morons GIF

Excuse me, I resemble that remark!

In all seriousness, there needs to be more Blazing Saddles and Airplane! GIFs on this site. Fucking awesome movies that were ahead of their time.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Airplane Excuse me, I resemble that remark!

In all seriousness, there needs to be more Blazing Saddles and Airplane! GIFs on this site. Fucking awesome movies that were ahead of their time.
Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
My question is in addition to being obsequious are you also clairvoyant and purple?
Just askin'

~ArkyRamsFan~