1973 Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With the recent passing of Head Coach Chuck Knox, found these again on Youtube and thought some would enjoy it.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the playoff game against Dallas go to the 33 minute mark for the Rams vs Cowboys.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
With the recent passing of Head Coach Chuck Knox, found these again on Youtube and thought some would enjoy it.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

MY most vivid memory of a game in the year I got hooked on the Rams for life. And with my memory this is the game that closed the deal.

And on my birthday today! Forty five years to the day I watched Secretariat won the triple crown in historic fashion. And of course Justify won the triple crown today.

What a great day.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cleveland Browns vs the Los Angeles Rams, last game of the regular season in 1973. Rams had a better record in 1973 than the Cowgirls, yet they got the home game in the first round...It was the rule back in the day..one freakin' stupid rule that probably robbed the Rams of of much more in 1973. So we went from 12-2 (if memory serves), and the talk of the NFL as a probably Super Bowl entrant, to a loser one week after the regular season.

You can tell that I still have not gotten over it...lol

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You can tell that I still have not gotten over it...lol

David Ray missed three FG's in that game too as the Rams fell behind early 14-0, but battled back to 17-16, with Ray missing 3 make-able field goals. Ray had a good year up to that point, but was still the old style kicker and was not just a kicker either, as he could play WR too.

They ended up releasing Ray after the 74 season trading a 4th round pick to the Eagles for Kicker Tom Dempsey. Dempsey seem like a nice acquisition, but because of the half foot, struggled with accuracy and trajectory which led to getting FG's blocked and it happen against the Vikings, where he missed a chip shot field goal and had one blocked too.

1977 The Rams finally went away from the conventional style kicker in Dempsey and signed soccer style kicker Rafael Septién, who was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the 10th round of the 1977 draft. Then the Rams drafted kicker Frank Corral in the 3rd round out of UCLA and he replaced Septien for several years.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you Thank you Thank you.

MY most vivid memory of a game in the year I got hooked on the Rams for life. And with my memory this is the game that closed the deal.

And on my birthday today! .

Happy Belated Birthday and you and I share becoming a Ram fan the same year. That game was nationally televised and I still recall yelling at the TV being 7 years old then cover Stowe (WR Otto Stowe) who Eddie McMillan could not cover and my parents were entertaining my Aunt and her husband back then. My Aunt, who was a teacher told my parents not to worry, I would find another passion, I told her back then..."Doubtful."

Anyway the irony is my Aunt's second marriage is a very passionate sport fan and a Cleveland Brown fan at that, in fact, they go to Cleveland several times a year to watch the Browns with my Aunt being just as an avid fan as her husband and she has some depth about the team too, but she's a smart woman, just had to find a passion.

I'm sure some remember back then, that some people thought we were too passionate about the game or sports in general, there were people who thought that way, sports being a waste of time. My son was very much into video games and many scoffed and felt that was not a good thing, I always stood by my son and informed them, if he likes it, leave him alone...Today my son is a Software Engineer. If you enjoy something, it's okay as long as it does not consume you to a point, where other things go undone.

Last edited:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Yeah McMillan was the weak link in that D, him and Steve Preece. Stukes was near the end of his career.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

I

Coliseum look pretty full to me, lol the scoreboard was inoperable, seems like back then it was more about the game than the 'experience"

Remember that game well, I was a junior in HS and a good buddy of mine was a diehard Dallas fan, he got even with me as we laid an egg in the postseason at Dallas

Jim Ray on the scoop and score XP

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah McMillan was the weak link in that D, him and Steve Preece. Stukes was near the end of his career.

Very True as the Rams made some changes to the defense in 1974 with Al Clark replacing Eddie McMillan and Bill Simpson replacing Steve Preece. Stukes lasted two years, then broke his leg. Rams had replacements ready as Monty Jackson was drafted in 1975 and McMillan came back to play in 75, however, was replaced by Rod Perry in 76.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jim Ray on the scoop and score XP

David Ray, being a former WR helped on that play. Jimmy Raye was offensive coordinator under John Robinson with the Los Angeles Rams.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
David Ray, being a former WR helped on that play. Jimmy Raye was offensive coordinator under John Robinson with the Los Angeles Rams.
I was aware he was listed as a WR, actually even saw him line up a few times, dont recall the ball ever coming his way

Decent kicker i always thought, Pat Studstill was our punter, good STs back then

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Decent kicker i always thought, Pat Studstill was our punter, good STs back then

Actually in 1973 Dave Chapple was the punter, Studstill last year with the Rams was 1971, in 70 against the New York Giants Studstill caught two TD passes against them in the last game of the year. Still remember my Father & Maternal Grandfather yelling..."He's the damn Punter." Even at four years old.

Again David Ray had a good year in 73, but missed three field goals against the Cowboys in the playoff game and if he made them, that could have changed the outcome.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Actually in 1973 Dave Chapple was the punter, Studstill last year with the Rams was 1971, in 70 against the New York Giants Studstill caught two TD passes against them in the last game of the year. Still remember my Father & Maternal Grandfather yelling..."He's the damn Punter." Even at four years old.

Again David Ray had a good year in 73, but missed three field goals against the Cowboys in the playoff game and if he made them, that could have changed the outcome.
Thats cool Den, i didnt google to double check, the two did pair together tho
At one point and made a good pair

As for kickers, due to our correspondences a few years back regading GZ, im afraid ill have to take your assessments regarding kickers under advisement :D while you are correct with the 3 FG thing, im pretty sure he also made All Pro as a Kicker

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
im pretty sure he was also made All Pro as a Kicker

Nick Mick-Mayer of the Falcons was the All Pro Selection back then, Ray was 30 for 47 for field goals back then, which must have not been bad because Mick-Mayer was 26 for 38, however, Ray missed three kicks in the playoff game inside the of 40 yards against the Cowboys, that was factor. He made three and one from 40 yards, but it was a tough game overall.

Ray was a solid kicker for the Rams from 70-74, just missed some key kicks in that playoff game. The following against the Redskins had a couple of key Field Goals...Toni Friitsch was the Cowboys kicker and he did not miss any of his field goals in that game, however, Ray had a much better year, but in that game at key times was wide left.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As for kickers, due to our correspondences a few years back regading GZ,

And if I recall, you were behind Zuerlein and I was lukewarm and I have changed my mind since. I subscribe to the Bill Parcells philosophy on kickers... I like kickers, when they make them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
David Ray missed three FG's in that game too as the Rams fell behind early 14-0, but battled back to 17-16, with Ray missing 3 make-able field goals. Ray had a good year up to that point, but was still the old style kicker and was not just a kicker either, as he could play WR too.

They ended up releasing Ray after the 74 season trading a 4th round pick to the Eagles for Kicker Tom Dempsey. Dempsey seem like a nice acquisition, but because of the half foot, struggled with accuracy and trajectory which led to getting FG's blocked and it happen against the Vikings, where he missed a chip shot field goal and had one blocked too.

1977 The Rams finally went away from the conventional style kicker in Dempsey and signed soccer style kicker Rafael Septién, who was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the 10th round of the 1977 draft. Then the Rams drafted kicker Frank Corral in the 3rd round out of UCLA and he replaced Septien for several years.

I think Ray got paid off to throw the game if he had a chance.