$15m To $16m For Colin Kaepernick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...ck-and-so-far-so-good-with-a-long-ways-to-go/

The 49ers start contract talks with Colin Kaepernick… and so far, so good (with a long ways to go)
Posted on February 24, 2014 by Tim Kawakami

Yes, amazingly, the 49ers were able to conduct some business at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last weekend despite the swirling, whirling rumor/speculation/tense reality surrounding their head coach and his future…

To that point: An NFL source indicated to me today that team president Paraag Marathe and Colin Kaepernick’s representatives had a solid start to talks that could eventually lead to a rich new extension for the 49ers QB.

Emphasize “could eventually.”

There are many miles to go on this, of course. Any Kaepernick deal will be very large and any agreement involves many different leaps of faith…

How long a deal will it be? At what salary? How much guaranteed? This could break off on any of those points, at any time, and remember Kaepernick is still under contract for the 2014 season so there’s no great imperative… except to get this settled here and now.

(And to get Kaepernick paid at a proper level.)

But for now, both sides seem to have entered into this optimistically and over the weekend provided each other good reasons to keep going on it.

Kaepernick said during Super Bowl week that he’s open to striking a balance between what he wants and what’s best for the team salary structure, and from what I’ve heard, nothing said over the weekend contradicted that.

Of course, the parameters of “balance” could mean different things to both sides–does that mean Kaepernick will ask for $20M per instead of $22M? Or does it mean he’ll talk about $16M-17M per with steps to get him up to $20M?

Either way, it sounds like $15M to $16M is the floor for an average salary here, which is a lot higher than I originally thought and would bring Kaepernick near the top echelon of QB salaries.

Again, this is no guarantee that this is heading for a multi-year agreement any time soon.

But, unlike say last year with Dashon Goldson–when the 49ers left their first meeting concluding that Goldson was no longer a 49er–these initial talks have given both sides room and incentive to keep going.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's the going rate.
They may not want to go that route with him. I look for them to draft a developmental guy this year and let him take over. Harbaugh devalues QB play in favor of his run game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I dunno?

Before I extend him at that level; I'd give Kermit, Fozzie, and Scooter a try out.

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think there is a typo, should not be Millions, should be dollars. ill send them a email right away to fix the mistake.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think there is a typo, should not be Millions, should be dollars. ill send them a email right away to fix the mistake.

Haha! That's a great one....

As for the money, it sounds right. That's not what you pay for a solid QB.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha $16-17 big ones for Gonzo!?!? I seriously LOVE media hype sometimes. Just for times like this when inexplicably the player involved and his team both believe it and they get stuck paying him a boatload for the next 6+ years...

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
At least the Ravens carried Flacco to a SB win first :D

Go ahead Whiners what could go wrong lock him up LONG TERM:ROFLMAO:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The $ amounts are not surprising at all. NFL QB is a good paying gig if you can get one.

Hopefully the whiners will have to cut elsewhere on their roster in order to find the mula ... and hopefully they fucking suffer from it.

Bitches.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Yup, Colon and Wussell Wilson will be getting HUGE paydays very soon. That's going to cut into them being able to keep other players. Another two years and the Rams will OWN the NFC west.

TexasRam

Legend
Kaep will be riding the bench for some non Niner team within 3 years. Mark my words.

It's not enough CrapOnDick is an elite NFL QB, I'd start negotiations around $50m per year if I was him, I think he's worth it.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Obviously, I hope the Niners do fork over the money but in this case, I think the team may have more leverage than the player. Harbaugh's got them the the NFCC game with Smith and Kaepernick so I think it would be very easy for them to just move on. CK hasn't exactly come up big with his arm and that's what QB's get paid for.
I think he'll get a raise but overall, I don't think the 49ers will have to negotiate out of fear like most teams do when a QB emerges. Seattle's in a lot tougher spot when it comes to Wilson's contract. Even though that team is designed much the same way, Wilson has put them over the top.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hope they do pay big bucks for their wanna be qb! Anything to get the whiners up against it!