12/22 Bowl Games, for draft fans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Still the early bowls with few prospects, but a fewworth a lot. For those who like to watch prospects:

Akron vs. Utah State, 2:30 ESPN

Akron
#1 OLB Jatavius Brown (late rd/FA)

Utah State
#4 WR Hunter Sharp (late rd/FA)
#11 WR Brandon Swindall (FA)
#9 OLB Kyler Fackrell (mid rd)

Temple vs. Toledo, 6:00 ESPN

Temple
#79 OC Kyle Friend (late rd/FA)
#8 OLB Tyler Matakevich (day 2)
#9 DT Matt Ioannidis (day 3)

Toledo
None that I see

Akron's LB Brown intriques me. Undersized (listed at 5'1", 222#) but safety speed. Very productive player at his level [322 tackles(188 solo), 38 TFL, 15 sacks, 9 FF]. Kid is a player. Bet he'll be a special teams demon and maybe a Mark Barron type hybrid LB/SS.

spamlord

Rookie
Still the early bowls with few prospects, but a fewworth a lot. For those who like to watch prospects:

Akron vs. Utah State, 2:30 ESPN

Akron
#1 OLB Jatavius Brown (late rd/FA)

Utah State
#4 WR Hunter Sharp (late rd/FA)
#11 WR Brandon Swindall (FA)
#9 OLB Kyler Fackrell (mid rd)

Temple vs. Toledo, 6:00 ESPN

Temple
#79 OC Kyle Friend (late rd/FA)
#8 OLB Tyler Matakevich (day 2)
#9 DT Matt Ioannidis (day 3)

Toledo
None that I see

Akron's LB Brown intriques me. Undersized (listed at 5'1", 222#) but safety speed. Very productive player at his level [322 tackles(188 solo), 38 TFL, 15 sacks, 9 FF]. Kid is a player. Bet he'll be a special teams demon and maybe a Mark Barron type hybrid LB/SS.
Thanks for these posts, Stel--reminds me to watch these games-gets the draft blood going.

On Temple I like Friend and Matakevich higher than you have them. I also like a few more prospects--watch these guys: Hershey Walton-a NT (over 300 Lb'er) and Nate D. Smith-a little short but good OLB. Sharif Finch is a junior DE that I also see having a chance late.

On Toledo, he's only a junior, but Kareem Hunt might have an NFL chance. Lots of rushing yards and lots of time in the end zone. Senior WR Alonzo Russell has good size and is a real smart possession receiver-type.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for these posts, Stel--reminds me to watch these games-gets the draft blood going.

On Temple I like Friend and Matakevich higher than you have them. I also like a few more prospects--watch these guys: Hershey Walton-a NT (over 300 Lb'er) and Nate D. Smith-a little short but good OLB. Sharif Finch is a junior DE that I also see having a chance late.

On Toledo, he's only a junior, but Kareem Hunt might have an NFL chance. Lots of rushing yards and lots of time in the end zone. Senior WR Alonzo Russell has good size and is a real smart possession receiver-type.

You think Matakevich will go before day 2? I see him as third round.

Friend I don't know that much about so I look forward to watching him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think Matakevich will go before day 2? I see him as third round.

Friend I don't know that much about so I look forward to watching him.

Think he's a Day 2/Day 3 guy.(3rd/4th) Measurables likely won't be kind to him. But he's a player.

From what I heard, Friend is freakishly strong. Don't know much else about him.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Think he's a Day 2/Day 3 guy.(3rd/4th)

From what I heard, Friend is freakishly strong. Don't know much else about him.

I made a point of watching Friend last night. Saw most of the first half and the first part of the second half before life (and wife) got in the way. LOL
- I never saw Friend get beat up the middle.
- He seemed to have decent athleticism, moved around quite a bit.
- Seems to play light on his feet when not engaged, has his head up on a swivel looking for a threat to neutralize.

Never heard of him before this bowl game (shockingly, I don't watch a lot of Temple games!).

Here's Dane Brugler's observations from cbssports.com:

STRENGTHS: Four-year starter. Sticky blocker with quick snap-and-step motion, driving his feet and always looking for someone to hit. Loves to finish, showing hustle at the second level to seal and wall-off run lanes.

Teammate LB Tyler Matakevich told NFLDraftScout.com that Friend "can put up 225 pounds on the bench more than anyone I've ever met."

WEAKNESSES: Might not test well due to average physical traits, but he makes up for his shortcomings with grit, toughness and a perceptive understanding of his strengths. He has shorter arms and his aggressive demeanor causes him to lunge and lose balance.

--Dane Brugler (10/29/15)

nfldraftscout.com has him listed at just under 6'1", 305#. May be a tad on the small size but others of that size have been successful in the NFL. Someone will take him during the second half of day 3.

draftbreakdown has 3 videos of him, one from each of the last three seasons. Haven't watched them yet.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/kyle-friend/

spamlord

Rookie
I made a point of watching Friend last night. Saw most of the first half and the first part of the second half before life (and wife) got in the way. LOL
- I never saw Friend get beat up the middle.
- He seemed to have decent athleticism, moved around quite a bit.
- Seems to play light on his feet when not engaged, has his head up on a swivel looking for a threat to neutralize.

Never heard of him before this bowl game (shockingly, I don't watch a lot of Temple games!).

Here's Dane Brugler's observations from cbssports.com:

STRENGTHS: Four-year starter. Sticky blocker with quick snap-and-step motion, driving his feet and always looking for someone to hit. Loves to finish, showing hustle at the second level to seal and wall-off run lanes.

Teammate LB Tyler Matakevich told NFLDraftScout.com that Friend "can put up 225 pounds on the bench more than anyone I've ever met."

WEAKNESSES: Might not test well due to average physical traits, but he makes up for his shortcomings with grit, toughness and a perceptive understanding of his strengths. He has shorter arms and his aggressive demeanor causes him to lunge and lose balance.

--Dane Brugler (10/29/15)

nfldraftscout.com has him listed at just under 6'1", 305#. May be a tad on the small size but others of that size have been successful in the NFL. Someone will take him during the second half of day 3.

draftbreakdown has 3 videos of him, one from each of the last three seasons. Haven't watched them yet.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/kyle-friend/
My admiration for Friend came in some games in 2013 and 2014. Reminds me of Wichmann a bit--a 4 year starter, was a mauler on run plays. Then, on passing downs I saw he improved with a nice low leverage and improved technique once Walker became the QB and Temple started throwing more. In July of 2014 - he ran a 4.95 40 and benched 225 pounds 40 times-those are some nice numbers. I really think he could be a hidden gem-I hope less people know about him so the Rams can grab him -3rd or 4th rounder to me. (I haven't seen him this year--this was his first year dealing with any injuries.) Thanks for the Brugler, rundown--I hadn't seen that.

At this point I have: I have Matakevich in 2nd tier of OLBs, so I think he's a 2nd rounder. 1st tier I have Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith and Leonard Floyd. 2nd tier is Hunt-Days from GT, Matakevich, Gionni Paul, Curt Maggitt and Stephen Weatherly. And I haven't graded everyone yet-still lots of time to watch tape (that might push him down). What I like best about him are his instincts and diagnosing the run-no wasted steps. Tower the end of 2014 I noticed his closing speed was better than I originally thought-was starting to come on. Really liked his Vanderbilt game.