10 Observations from OTA's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Team insider Myles Simmons shares 10 of his top observations from the first Rams OTA of 2018.

1) The offense looked really sharp. Quarterback Jared Goff was accurate with his passes early and often, hitting receivers in stride on regular drops and off play-action. Goff said himself after practice that he felt sharp and comfortable on the field, and it showed. Overall, it didn’t look like a team playing an offense for the first time. And that should be the case, considering the club is in its second year under head coach Sean McVay.

2) Speaking of McVay, he was just as active as ever on the field — running around from drill to drill. If you’ve ever had a coach tell you, “If you’re walking, you’re wrong,” that is the essence of the Rams’ head coach. He’s never stationary and never walking. And he often encourages the players to jog from drill to drill, as well as on and off the sideline.

3) Even in the early, individual stages of practice, it was easy to see why Los Angeles wanted to add wide receiver Brandin Cooks. He has a very strong ability to snatch the ball out of the air and bring it to his body. There was a pass from a coach in warmups moderately off-target to Cooks and he nevertheless reeled it in. That was before he even put his gloves on during the group sessions. It’s not much, but it’s an indication of his considerable talent.

4) When the offense was going through routes against air, Goff connected with wide receiver Mike Thomas on a deep pass on the left side of the field. Thomas looked like he ran a solid route and Goff hit him in stride as Thomas ran into the end zone.

5) During team drills, Goff faked a handoff on the left, rolled to his right, threw on the run and hit wideout Josh Reynolds in stride on an intermediate pass toward the right sideline. It was a play that displayed Goff’s chemistry and timing with his receivers, even in this stage of the offseason program.

6) As it did during much of last season, the offense varied its tempo throughout much of the practice. That’s not necessarily a surprise, considering how the unit went about its business in 2017. However, doing it during the first OTA is an example of Los Angeles getting more comfortable in the scheme and mastering the system — rather than just learning it.

7) Cornerback Aqib Talib called McVay’s offense “crazy” because of the movement that goes into it. Cornerback Marcus Peters called the scheme “crazy unique” with the way the unit varies tempos. Both said they feel like going against the offense will end up making the defense better in the long run.

8) There are plenty of candidates, but Goff’s best pass of the day was probably a deep ball to Cooks during 7-on-7 drills. Cooks darted down the left side off the line of scrimmage, Goff fired the pass and hit the speedy Oregon State product in stride at about the five-yard line, allowing Cooks to easily make it into the end zone. Aside from Goff’s arm strength and Cooks’ speed, the pass illustrated Goff and Cooks have already established some chemistry.

9) On one play during 11-on-11 drills, cornerback Marcus Peters, cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman, and safety Lamarcus Joyner all converged on a deep ball in the corner of the end zone. The trio pulled up in order to avoid contact and potential injury, but there’s clearly already some chemistry getting established in the secondary.

10) A pair of young defenders made impact plays during 11-on-11 drills. Rookie defensive lineman Justin Lawler — selected No. 244 overall in the 2018 draft — broke up a pass down the field on a seam route. And college free agent signee Curtis Mikell picked off a pass on the defense’s right, jumping a route to get his hands on the football.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cooks burned Robey-Coleman and I'm looking forward to seeing plenty of Goff to Cooks for 6....Good first day for Jerry Lawler's grandson, hopefully someone steps up in the pass rush too.

Can you smell what McVay & Goff are Cooking?

Psycho_X

Legend
What an exciting team this will be to watch. It is going to be something special for at least one season. So many super stars and soon to be super stars on every facet of the team. Everyone say your prayers to the injury gods every night for their blessing. They've already smited a few and training camp isn't even here yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cooks burned Robey-Coleman and I'm looking forward to seeing plenty of Goff to Cooks for 6....Good first day for Jerry Lawler's grandson, hopefully someone steps up in the pass rush too.

This team has all the ingredients!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^^ is getting me really pumped-up, I want to see these guys in action!!(y):yess:;):D

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I just love the smell of this home cooking, den!

Just take the WR corps as an example. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp being schemed by McVay and Goff growing by leaps and bounds over even last year?

Are you KIDDING me? Might seem illegal by mid-season. Lol.

And don’t get me started on our new secondary. Damn!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good first day for Jerry Lawler's grandson

As in, Jerry the King??
Didn't realize that!

The wrestler that slapped Andy Kaufman???? That's awesome...

Still don't think his g-son makes the squad...

Myles sure gets you pumped up ...and they're only wearing shorts...LOL

I saw that Cooks pass...on twitter...Joe Curley is posting EVERYTHING he sees...

I always liked Cook from OSU....Got Mannion paid...there was another wr on that team too...can't remember his name...went to the Steelers...and disappeared.....

Ram65

Legend
Round 2 of the McVay offense off and passing. Always good to hear the passing game has the timing down early. That was a sweet throw and catch to Cooks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is, that I am EXPECTING our team to start off at a high level. Our offense, which is mostly intact, should be in a much higher gear than last year in OTA's, and it appears that they are. No more crossed fingers, rabbit's feet, etc...hoping to see something good, as in the Linehan, Spags, and Fisher days of running the offseason. We have confidence that our team will be good... Well, except for maybe LACHAMP46, holding his stopwatch, checking 40 times..:baghead:.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I remember reading positive stuff like this during off seasons in the Fisher era.

Unlike the Fisher era, it's nice to actually believe these reports will translate to regular seasons wins now that the coaching staff are capable.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember reading positive stuff like this during off seasons in the Fisher era.

Unlike the Fisher era, it's nice to actually believe these reports will translate to regular seasons wins now that the coaching staff are capable.
My point was that because of last year, we have raised expectations. As for the Fisher day's (and before)....It always felt like unreal happy talk, unless it was about Aaron Donald.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, except for maybe LACHAMP46, holding his stopwatch, checking 40 times..:notsure:
40 times matter....
Still keeping one on Joyner:baghead: and Johnson:palm:...:whistle:
It always felt like unreal happy talk
Or what some may refer to as...:shooting:LIES:liar:

It's cool to have expectations...it's kinda lame to have optimism and the team was stinking year in...year out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
40 times matter....
Still keeping one on Joyner and Johnson....
Or what some may refer to as...LIES

It's cool to have expectations...it's kinda lame to have optimism and the team was stinking year in...year out.
and about this tractor -trailer concept...Does one need a CDL to understand this metaphor?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
and about this tractor -trailer concept...Does one need a CDL to understand this metaphor?

Nope....simple illustration should do...

Remember the last Super Bowl....yeah that one...Pats lost...

Tom Brady...once a trailer..is now a huge tractor.

Foles is still a trailer....

More Tractor(s)...pullers of teams offenses...Brees, Wilson, Rivers, and Rodgers....

you want me to go into who the teams are helping the most? Lets just say Blake Bortles is a trailer...