Zimmer: Teddy Bridgwater "long way to go"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...bridgewater-mike-zimmer-recovery-rehab-050517

Mike Zimmer is ‘more optimistic now’ about Teddy Bridgewater playing again

The Minnesota Vikings are set to start Sam Bradford at quarterback for a second straight season while Teddy Bridgewater recovers from a significant knee injury. There’s no telling when Bridgewater will be back – it’s worth noting the Vikings declined his fifth-year option – but Mike Zimmer is confident he will return at some point.

“I love Teddy Bridgewater,” Zimmer said Friday. “The guy is working his rear end off and continues to fight every single day. Everything about him, when he’s rehabbing and doing the work he has to do is the exact same way he approaches life, so. I’m excited.

“I’m probably more optimistic now about him potentially playing than I have at any point in time. But he still has a long way to go.”

No one is expecting Bridgewater to return this season, and him remaining out through 2018 wouldn’t be much of a surprise, either. Considering how severe his knee injury was, and that it threatened his career, it’s best for him and the Vikings to take it as slow as possible.

As for Bradford, he’s only under contract through 2017. That leaves the Vikings in a difficult situation, one that could cause them to draft a quarterback early in next year’s draft.

They’ll cross that bridge when they get there and will continue to be patient with Bridgewater.

---------------

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rtain-future-sam-bradford-minnesota/98312808/

Teddy Bridgewater's future uncertain as Vikings move ahead with Sam Bradford

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings still can’t say when or if quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will play again. And that’s surely part of the reason general manager Rick Spielman says he still feels good about his bold trade for Sam Bradford after Bridgewater’s injury.

“I can tell you that, looking back on that trade, with all the other options, I would do that over in a second to get a Sam Bradford on our football team with the circumstances we were dealing with,” Spielman told a small group of reporters Thursday. “Because I think he’s got a chance to be a pretty good player, a quarterback, in this league.”

The Vikings traded their first-round pick in April’s draft and a conditional pick (which ended up being a fourth-rounder) in 2018 to the Philadelphia Eagles for Bradford on Sept. 3, four days after Bridgewater suffered a catastrophic knee injury in practice.

A little less than six months later, Spielman said there is still is no timeline on Bridgewater, adding he “is attacking his rehab as diligently as he can. He’s putting everything into it to get back on the field as quickly as he can.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/02/21/pre-free-agency-buzz/98202800/
But Bridgewater, 24, is still working on his motion and hasn’t progressed to any football drills, Spielman said.

Asked directly if he’s 100% certain Bridgewater will play again, Spielman said: “Well, everybody’s hoping, but I’m not … what is it, a soothsayer?”

Had the Vikings not traded for Bradford and instead proceeded with backup Shaun Hill last season, they’d likely be looking for a starting quarterback now via trade, in free agency or in a draft class that’s regarded as average at best and reputedly light on players capable of starting immediately. So Minnesota's fade from 5-0 to 8-8 last season didn’t render the deal a failure.

Spielman praised Bradford’s toughness and performance amidst tough circumstances last season, saying it’s clear going back to the second half of the 2015 campaign in Philadelphia that he’s in his prime at age 29. Spielman also mentioned Bradford on a list of players whose contracts need to be addressed at some point, but stopped short of saying that’ll happen before the season.

“Everything’s in flux right now,” Spielman said. “So, I’ll just leave it at that.”

Bradford is due $18 million in 2017, the last year of his contract. That includes a $4 million bonus due the fifth day of the league year next month, which USA TODAY Sports reported in December the Vikings intended to pay.

The Vikings also have a decision to make by early May on Bridgewater’s fifth-year contract option for 2018.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel bad for the kid. He had the potential to be a very good QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I saw that Minnesota declined Bridgewater 5th year already

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I saw that Minnesota declined Bridgewater 5th year already

They did. It's guaranteed for injury. Can't make that sort of commitment considering everything. He'll be a FA after 2017. Might make an incredible story one day.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Irony here is I had trepidation that Bradford would recover from ACL tear on the same knee and he seems to have done that because last season, he was hit quite a bit. IMHO I believe the Vikings barring injury will stick with Bradford seems Pat Shurmur can sell Sam Bradford to anyone. I feel bad for Bridgewater and I hope he has every opportunity to come back and showcase the talent that looked so promising, but Rick Spielman made a great move there is no debating that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wouldn't let my love for a player get in the way. He is done. He won't have played in two years and suffered a gruesome, life threatening injury. There's no reason to risk it at this point. And he was never a great QB anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They did. It's guaranteed for injury. Can't make that sort of commitment considering everything. He'll be a FA after 2017. Might make an incredible story one day.
He's a FA after 2017 and Bradford is a FA after 2017! The Vikings better do something or they are going to be in a World of Shit in 2018!! Especially IF Bradford has a real good year!(y);)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know a dude from the internet...think it was tst...loved the Louisville Cards....first that safety...then Teddy....that wr....I always say things like too this, or too that...usually slow...but I said Teddy was too small...frail.weak arm...look how he throws without his damn glove.....this is a man's game....yada yada...and he looked so good his first year....then his knee gives way...
I'll always be a height, weight, and speed guy. The average NFL career lasts 3 years...There is a reason for that. Everyone wasn't built to survive in this league. Teddy wasn't...didn't think Sam was either. It'll be interesting to see if he can make it back.

Damn Sam B. has a good agent! Always getting paid...

And YES

I still wish we had Sam.o_O

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know a dude from the internet...think it was tst...loved the Louisville Cards....first that safety...then Teddy....that wr....I always say things like too this, or too that...usually slow...but I said Teddy was too small...frail.weak arm...look how he throws without his damn glove.....this is a man's game....yada yada...and he looked so good his first year....then his knee gives way...
I'll always be a height, weight, and speed guy. The average NFL career lasts 3 years...There is a reason for that. Everyone wasn't built to survive in this league. Teddy wasn't...didn't think Sam was either. It'll be interesting to see if he can make it back.

Damn Sam B. has a good agent! Always getting paid...

And YES

I still wish we had Sam.o_O

He suffered a non-contact injury. This is like claiming that Bo Jackson wasn't built to survive in the NFL, except that Jackson's injury at least involved contact.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
so sad man.. hope he makes a full recovery not just so he can play football but enjoy the rest of his life

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Not sure that @LACHAMP46 comment about being built to survive in the NFL only refers to players getting hit.
Maybe I am wrong, it was an unfortunate injury

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure that @LACHAMP46 comment about being built to survive in the NFL only refers to players getting hit.
Maybe I am wrong, it was an unfortunate injury

Marcus Lattimore suffered the same knee injury. He was 5'11" 220. Willis McGahee did too. Drew Brees and Peyton Manning both suffered severe injuries that nearly ended their careers. Thomas Davis tore his ACL three times in three years (no player had ever returned after doing that).

This idea that Bridgewater suffering a freak knee injury is due to him not being built to survive in the NFL is simply confirmation bias. If the kid continued to struggle with concussions and other injuries related to contact or wear and tear, I'd agree, but I'm not going to agree that a freak non-contact knee injury shows he wasn't built for the NFL. Far too many durable, well-built players have suffered the same fate.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Marcus Lattimore suffered the same knee injury. He was 5'11" 220. Willis McGahee did too. Drew Brees and Peyton Manning both suffered severe injuries that nearly ended their careers. Thomas Davis tore his ACL three times in three years (no player had ever returned after doing that).

This idea that Bridgewater suffering a freak knee injury is due to him not being built to survive in the NFL is simply confirmation bias. If the kid continued to struggle with concussions and other injuries related to contact or wear and tear, I'd agree, but I'm not going to agree that a freak non-contact knee injury shows he wasn't built for the NFL. Far too many durable, well-built players have suffered the same fate.
People seem to forget, that these guys have been playing sports for most of their lives. Not just football. Most athletes play the sport of the season. Just the simple act of running can be hard on the body. Even a young body.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with Champ. I didn't think Bridgewater's slight build would be a good fit in the NFL. So, the knee was non contact, the guy is still skinny and on the short side for QBs. Size matters in the league, and it would catch up to Bridgewater eventually. Tavon is too small too. He gets knocked off routes too easily. He is smart about running out of bounds to avoid hits though. I think Ike told him to do that. A QB has less opportunity to avoid the hits.

Teddy has a weak arm too. Vikings fans I know complained that he threw short too much and wasn't accurate deep. Seems to make sense to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with Champ. I didn't think Bridgewater's slight build would be a good fit in the NFL. So, the knee was non contact, the guy is still skinny and on the short side for QBs. Size matters in the league, and it would catch up to Bridgewater eventually. Tavon is too small too. He gets knocked off routes too easily. He is smart about running out of bounds to avoid hits though. I think Ike told him to do that. A QB has less opportunity to avoid the hits.

Teddy has a weak arm too. Vikings fans I know complained that he threw short too much and wasn't accurate deep. Seems to make sense to me.

Teddy wasn't accurate deep. His arm wasn't particularly strong. But he was very smart, very poised, and fairly mechanically sound. He was also very accurate in the short to intermediate ranges. As for his size, he's 6'2" 215 pounds. It's not ideal, but it's not tiny either.

Maybe it would have caught up to him; maybe it wouldn't have. However, the knee injury wasn't related to him being too thin or too short.

I hope he makes it back. I still think he can be a good QB in today's NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the kid continued to struggle with concussions and other injuries related to contact or wear and tear, I'd agree, but I'm not going to agree that a freak non-contact knee injury shows he wasn't built for the NFL. Far too many durable, well-built players have suffered the same fate.
Vinny Testeverde was as prototypical in build for a QB that you could ask for. He was a physical beast.
The Jets were in the AFC championship game one year, and the Parcells/Testeverde train looked ready for a SB run the next season. Then Vinny (at the peak of his career) blew out his Achilles on a non contact fluke injury.
Crap happens.
Had nothing to do with his size, strength or ability to withstand hits.
Another words, yeah Im with you on this 100%, if hes able to get back on the field and injuries keep occurring, that's one thing. But this injury? Man its like the reverse lottery ticket