Zac Stacy - Starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ever since we drafted Tre Mason there seemed a groundswell that he'd share carries with Stacy. After watching two PS games, it appears Mason will be a legit factor in the running game once he adjusts to the pass protection requirements.

But... This post is about a general vibe I sense among some that Zac is the starter by default with Mason or Cunningham poised to take over.

Look; I love Cunningham and Mason. Both could fill in, and start with success. But; Stacy is the starter and hands down our best RB.

I get that his preseason numbers (like all RB) is not all that flashy... But Stacy is a special runner. Low to the ground. Quick/choppy feet. Positive yards. Falls forward.

I hope all the backs kick ass... but Stacy is our starter for good reason. He's the wrecking ball.

Thoughts?

FRO

Legend
I think Stacy, Cunningham, and Mason (once he learns pass pro) all have starters ability. We are really in a good situation at RB.

A55VA6

Legend
I agree CGI. Stacy is the definite starter on this team. He's patient, shifty, strong, and like you said - low to the ground and always falling forward. Cunningham and Mason behind him makes me feel very very good about the RB situation. All 3 RB's have great ability.

I will say this, Cunningham seems to have a knack for busting some big runs. Hope he can keep that up this season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like them all, but we need to find a 3rd down back who can pass pro. We lost the only one we had. Maybe Benny can do it, but Mason looks just plain bad there so far. Not that he can't develop. I really do like him as a runner.

Stacy
Bam Bam
Tre

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I believe that we are stacked at rb. Stacy is the unquestioned starter on this team (mainly experience and production).... it is close. Vision and power are his strengths..... Cunningham. .. raw power and speed. ... Mason.... quick and jump cutting fool.....;) Mason doesn't understand pass blocking yet.... but he is a nice change of pace back...... nice problem to have..... either way..... Go Rams!!!!! ;)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Ever since we drafted Tre Mason there seemed a groundswell that he'd share carries with Stacy. After watching two PS games, it appears Mason will be a legit factor in the running game once he adjusts to the pass protection requirements.

But... This post is about a general vibe I sense among some that Zac is the starter by default with Mason or Cunningham poised to take over.

Look; I love Cunningham and Mason. Both could fill in, and start with success. But; Stacy is the starter and hands down our best RB.

I get that his preseason numbers (like all RB) is not all that flashy... But Stacy is a special runner. Low to the ground. Quick/choppy feet. Positive yards. Falls forward.

I hope all the backs kick ass... but Stacy is our starter for good reason. He's the wrecking ball.

Thoughts?
I don't see how as of right now this is even up for debate.

Ram4life11

Rookie
I like them all, but we need to find a 3rd down back who can pass pro. We lost the only one we had. Maybe Benny can do it, but Mason looks just plain bad there so far. Not that he can't develop. I really do like him as a runner.

Stacy
Bam Bam
Tre
I feel the backs should split carries in your exact order, my only disagreement is that you say we lost our only good pass protector. I assume your talking about Pead? I've heard a lot of people say he's our best pass protector but I have yet to see any evidence. I say Bam Bam, than Stacey, than Pead in Pass pro.
I'm just wondering where the proof is?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I feel the backs should split carries in your exact order, my only disagreement is that you say we lost our only good pass protector. I assume your talking about Pead? I've heard a lot of people say he's our best pass protector but I have yet to see any evidence. I say Bam Bam, than Stacey, than Pead in Pass pro.
I'm just wondering where the proof?
The proof was in the fact that Pead was on the field quite a bit in 3rd down passing situations. Go back to the Cleveland preseason game last year if you want video proof. He flattened a blitzing LB, on a couple of occasions. Stacy is very inconsistent, but has shown he can do it. Right now, Cunningham is the best of the remaining group.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I don't see how as of right now this is even up for debate.

This.

I don't care about preseason. Plus our line is missing 2 of its best run blockers if not the best (right now.) Cunningham is a solid back. Good on STs too. He's got to earn it in the reg season though. 1s on 1s in a real game against real defenses. Stacy showed he had the talent to be a #1 back when healthy, and he showed up in great shape to camp. The job is his until he loses it. Benny will have his chance.

If the line stays healthy this year, I think they're all gonna have some fun.

Ram4life11

Rookie
The proof was in the fact that Pead was on the field quite a bit in 3rd down passing situations. Go back to the Cleveland preseason game last year if you want video proof. He flattened a blitzing LB, on a couple of occasions. Stacy is very inconsistent, but has shown he can do it. Right now, Cunningham is the best of the remaining group.
Oh so your talking about 1 preseason game when he was going against mainly second teamers? I've actually seen Stacey make some big blocks during the actually regular season, he also missed 2 maybe 3 big blocks also but it was actually in the regular season. Cunningham has shown he's 10x the pass protector Pead is, in the Preseason and in the regular season. He had plenty of blitz pick ups in the regular season, I only recall him whiffing 1 time against the 49ers against Bowman (all pro)... So once again 1 preseason game isn't enough to crown him the pass blocking king. I know your the biggest Pead fan in all but sorry 1 preseason game against the 2's isn't enough

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, proof is in my eyeballs, but CoachO's sentiments are how I'd rate them....and Pead was very good in pass pro, and can catch the ball. In my book, that is the ideal 3rd down back. I think Cunningham will be that guy now, and Stacy IS the starter, but can Cunningham run a 40 yard wheel route? Stacy is NOT the 3rd down back, and is what we are talking about. He did improve immensely in that area.

Pead is gone, so he is out of the equation.

Ram4life11

Rookie
Yeah, proof is in my eyeballs, but CoachO's sentiments are how I'd rate them....and Pead was very good in pass pro, and can catch the ball. In my book, that is the ideal 3rd down back. I think Cunningham will be that guy now, and Stacy IS the starter, but can Cunningham run a 40 yard wheel route?

Pead is gone, so he is out of the equation.
I agree that Pead was our best 3rd down back, strictly because he was our best recieving RB that's without a doubt. And to answer your question I don't think we have a back on our roster that can run a 40 yard wheel route, when we lost Pead we lost our best recieving back. I say the backs we have now are below average. I really can't judge Mason, because I haven't seen enough...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Oh so your talking about 1 preseason game when he was going against mainly second teamers? I've actually seen Stacey make some big blocks during the actually regular season, he also missed 2 maybe 3 big blocks also but it was actually in the regular season. Cunningham has shown he's 10x the pass protector Pead is, in the Preseason and in the regular season. He had plenty of blitz pick ups in the regular season, I only recall him whiffing 1 time against the 49ers against Bowman (all pro)... So once again 1 preseason game isn't enough to crown him the pass blocking king. I know your the biggest Pead fan in all but sorry 1 preseason game against the 2's isn't enough
You can lose the attitude dude. You asked for proof, I gave you one example off the top of my head. You on the other hand make statements as if they are fact. When actually, all it is, is YOUR opinion. BTW,, it was Pead who was in the game the majority of the times on 3rd down the entire second half of the season. And i also base my comments on what I actually witness EVERY DAY in practice. It was CLEAR that Pead was the best on the team. Cunningham has improved dramatically over last year, and Stacy is still inconsistent. Mason half the time doesn't even participate in the drill.

Regardless, no sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who seems to be only looking for a fight.

Last edited:

Ram4life11

Rookie
You can lose the attitude dude. You asked for proof, I gave you one example off the top of my head. You on the other hand make statements as if they are fact. When actually, all it is, is YOUR opinion. BTW,, it was Pead who was in the game the majority of the times on 3rd down the entire second half of the season.

Regardless, no sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who seems to be only looking for a fight.
Hey no attitude from me, Pead was our 3rd down back because he was our best recieving RB, I believe it's you taking things a little personal... It's all a debate, no need to take it more serious than that. I've seen every game Pead has played in, he's a decent pass protector, but I know he was on the field on 3rd downs was to catch passes...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hey no attitude from me, Pead was our 3rd down back because he was our best recieving RB, I believe it's you taking things a little personal... It's all a debate, no need to take it more serious than that. I've seen every game Pead has played in, he's a decent pass protector, but I know he was on the field on 3rd downs was to catch passes...
and yet they kept in to pass block 90% of those cases. I liked Pead because I saw his ability for what it was. That has nothing to do with my liking him more than the others. I thought he has a skill set that makes him the best all around RB on the roster. I also never sugar coated his issues or lack of maturity.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree that Pead was our best 3rd down back, strictly because he was our best recieving RB that's without a doubt. And to answer your question I don't think we have a back on our roster that can run a 40 yard wheel route, when we lost Pead we lost our best recieving back. I say the backs we have now are below average. I really can't judge Mason, because I haven't seen enough...
Stacy certainly proved he belonged last year and was certainly better than average by the stats.

Coach O does not need me to speak up for him, however, if there is anyone posting here that has seen enough practices to understand the depth charts it is Coach O he has a lot more to base his opinions than a single preseason game.

You are welcome to your opinion but do you have anything to back your opinion on our RB stable?

Stacy only started 12 games last year and nearly had 1000 rushing yards, the old standard before going to a 16 game season. Definitely above average and unquestioned starter.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StacZa00.htm

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
You can lose the attitude dude. You asked for proof, I gave you one example off the top of my head. You on the other hand make statements as if they are fact. When actually, all it is, is YOUR opinion. BTW,, it was Pead who was in the game the majority of the times on 3rd down the entire second half of the season. And i also base my comments on what I actually witness EVERY DAY in practice. It was CLEAR that Pead was the best on the team. Cunningham has improved dramatically over last year, and Stacy is still inconsistent. Mason half the time doesn't even participate in the drill.

No doubt that Pead was a huge loss...
He was our best third down back..... receiving and pass blocking. ....But as pure rbs but I believe we are stacked.... I believe that Pead will come back next year and be a vital part of this team..... but it is possible to shear the duties between players to cover that loss.... we will win..... Go Rams...... ;)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No doubt that Pead was a huge loss...
He was our best third down back..... receiving and pass blocking. ....But as pure rbs but I believe we are stacked.... I believe that Pead will come back next year and be a vital part of this team..... but it is possible to shear the duties between players to cover that loss.... we will win..... Go Rams...... ;)
I never said they aren't still in great shape at RB. I think at this point B. Cunningham's role will be increased. He is now the best in pass blocking on the roster.