Zac Stacy: ‘it’s A Tremendous Blessing To Be In The Nfl’ (story + Audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Doug Gottlieb Show
http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/2014/01/14/zac-stacy-its-a-tremendous-blessing-to-be-in-the-nfl/

187603596.jpg

(Credit: Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Maybe you missed him because the St. Louis Rams, who finished 7-9 this year, were in that tricky no man’s land between not contending and not tanking. But running back Zac Stacy put together a solid rookie season, eclipsing 1,000 total yards and scoring eight touchdowns (one receiving).

“I really enjoyed my rookie season,” Stacy said on The Doug Gottlieb Show. “I’ve learned a lot. It’s an amazing opportunity, and it’s a blessing to be a part of an organization like the Rams and just being in the NFL. It’s just a tremendous blessing. I’m looking forward to next season.”

Stacy, a Vanderbilt product, was asked about his former coach James Franklin, who was just named head coach at Penn State.

“I think it was a great hire,” Stacy said. “Coach Franklin, he’s done a great job with that program. It just goes to show you the type of success that he’s able to sustain.”

Stacy said Franklin developed a “process” at Vanderbilt, which his players embraced. Success followed.

“He’s a great motivator, does a great job instilling confidence in the guys and I wish him nothing but the best,” Stacy said. “For him to be a top candidate for one of the most recognized (college programs) says a lot about him. I think he’s going to do good things there.”

“He has that NFL mindset in terms of preparation, the pride in the little things,” Stacy continued. “He always did a good job throughout my career at Vandy (of making) practices hard throughout the week so that the games would be so much easier on Saturdays. He always challenged us. He’s one of the most challenging coaches I’ve ever been around. He’s always positive. He’s always sticking to the process, and I’m sure that’s one thing he’s going to establish at Penn State.”

Stacy was also asked about the NFC Championship this Sunday. Playing in the same division with Seattle and San Francisco, he knows both franchises well.

“It’s tough because obviously the 49ers and Seahawks are known for their stout defense (and) prolific offense,” Stacy said. “It’s going to be a tough battle. At the end of the day, you have to be physical with them. We play in the toughest division in the NFL, in my opinion, so you have to be physical with them. You’ve got to be able to execute. Execution is essential, especially in a game like this.”

Indeed, as Stacy has learned, the talent gap between teams in the NFL is miniscule.

“It’s not like college where you can turn it on and off whenever you want to,” Stacy said. “Everybody’s good. It comes down to details; it comes down to execution. It’s going to be a physical game nonetheless, but it’s going to be interesting to see who comes out and executes the best.”

Stacy was asked if Seattle’s famed “12th Man” actually makes a difference. He said yes – and the numbers prove it. Facing the Seahawks in St. Louis in October, Stacy rushed 26 times for 134 yards in a 14-9 loss. In the Week 16 rematch in Seattle, however, he was limited to 15 carries for 15 yards in a 27-9 loss.

“It really does (make a difference), I’m not going to lie to you,” he said. “There’s just something about that stadium in Seattle. When those fans get into it, it’s unbelievable.”

[av]http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d4/dG/dB/dI/14GBI_4.MP3[/av]