Your thoughts on Fisher in 2014 ... and now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
First of all, I wouldn't mind seeing Fisher replaced if only for the sake of change, but I also felt that way with Mike Martz and that didn't work out too well, in fact it was a disaster. The Rams were 53-32 under Mike Martz. The Rams were 43-100 under Vitt-Linehan-Haslett-Spagnuolo.

Being mired in mediocrity causes the average fan to long for someone different to take charge. Nothing wrong with that. But sometimes it doesn't work out the way we hope it will.

Came across this article that illustrates that point. Jaguars fans got tired of the same-old-same-old(Jack Del Rio) and made a change at the head coach position. Then everything fell apart. The Raiders made a change at the HC position and now things are looking better. The point is to be careful of what you wish for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-game-ball-after-they-trounce-his-old-team/

Raiders give Jack Del Rio a game ball after they trounce his old team
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 24, 2016

The Jaguars fired Jack Del Rio after nine years as a 68-71 record.(sound familiar?)

They’re 18-57 since then, and even if the Raiders coach wasn’t going make a big deal of it, his players were going to make sure it was a special day for him.

According to Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com Del Rio was given a game ball after the easy 33-16 win yesterday

The Jaguars grew frustrated with Del Rio topping out at seven or eight wins a year, but they haven’t won more than five in a season since he left.

I don't want a change for the sake of change. I want a change because I want to see this offense get over the hump. The offense is what has held this team back during the entirety of Fisher's tenure, and it's pretty clear now that he's not going to change his ways with regard to that side of the ball. So the 7-9 he declared as BS seems to be his ceiling with the Rams, notwithstanding the unlikely event of a significant turnaround with this team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, but see, that's just it. it's not my decision. I'm fine either way with whatever they do, because .. well, there's no other choice. Other than not being a fan of the Rams anymore - which isn't a choice at all. In the mean time, I'm only pointing out what are very real hindrances to team success. And I'm kinda anxious to see if Goff makes all of this "Fire the Coach" stuff go away. Winning does cure about everything that ails ya, after all.
This^^^^

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
First of all, I wouldn't mind seeing Fisher replaced if only for the sake of change, but I also felt that way with Mike Martz and that didn't work out too well, in fact it was a disaster. The Rams were 53-32 under Mike Martz. The Rams were 43-100 under Vitt-Linehan-Haslett-Spagnuolo.

Being mired in mediocrity causes the average fan to long for someone different to take charge. Nothing wrong with that. But sometimes it doesn't work out the way we hope it will.

Came across this article that illustrates that point. Jaguars fans got tired of the same-old-same-old(Jack Del Rio) and made a change at the head coach position. Then everything fell apart. The Raiders made a change at the HC position and now things are looking better. The point is to be careful of what you wish for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-game-ball-after-they-trounce-his-old-team/

Raiders give Jack Del Rio a game ball after they trounce his old team
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 24, 2016

The Jaguars fired Jack Del Rio after nine years as a 68-71 record.(sound familiar?)

They’re 18-57 since then, and even if the Raiders coach wasn’t going make a big deal of it, his players were going to make sure it was a special day for him.

According to Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com Del Rio was given a game ball after the easy 33-16 win yesterday

The Jaguars grew frustrated with Del Rio topping out at seven or eight wins a year, but they haven’t won more than five in a season since he left.

Del Rio has better players in Oakland. Better ownership IMO too. That makes a world of difference. However, for most of Fisher's tenure with the Rams he was in rebuild mode. He slowly worked with Snead and put together a good roster. He has good players now. He even has what was a consensus top two QB pick. But he chooses not to play him in favor of Keenum.. Keenum has proven to not be able to will the team to a win a la Russell Wilson. When things get tough and the pressure is on Case is throwing ints instead of leading game winning TD drives.

I am so discouraged at this point that I am losing interest in watching the games altogether. I don't expect anything different to happen knowing Keenum is the QB. Goff would give me a reason to watch, just to see if there is really some potential there. Apparently that wont happen. I have been critical of many of Fisher's in game decisions like going for two in Minnesota because he didn't want to kick into the wind, and like the recent Lion's game before the half. Those decisions pieced together with what we get from his pressers and player moves makes me think that he is the problem.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, but see, that's just it. it's not my decision. I'm fine either way with whatever they do, because .. well, there's no other choice. Other than not being a fan of the Rams anymore - which isn't a choice at all. In the mean time, I'm only pointing out what are very real hindrances to team success. And I'm kinda anxious to see if Goff makes all of this "Fire the Coach" stuff go away. Winning does cure about everything that ails ya, after all.

Yeah, we have no choice. But we have an opinion. I have suffered the 1990's decade of futility, the brief dynasty that never was from 99' to 2003' and have been waiting ever since for this team to show me something. With every new coach comes new hope. I bought into the long term coach leads to long term success concept that Kroenke wants in place but there seems to be something missing with Fisher. Maybe it is a lack of direction, or a lack of control? Something that makes me think that he isn't the guy afterall. If he was inexperienced I would say that he is still learning. But that is not what it is. He has oodles of experience. He shouldn't be making the dumb mistakes that he makes during games. He should have a more disciplined team that makes fewer mistakes. He should have the right answers and be molding his team into a model that he knows is successful and proven. Instead it all seems so haphazard and 'oh well' just like his press conferences. I for once would like him to take responsibility for something. There is an arrogance there that I don't get. Belichick can be arrogant because he is in control and knows how to build a winning team. Carroll can be arrogant. Fisher shouldn't be. He has too much to prove. He can't get past 7-9 each year. He can get the team to play lights out for a few games but not an entire season. The teams up and down play and lack of precise execution is a reflection of who Fisher is.

I have roped my son into being a Rams fan and I am starting to feel bad for doing it.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
If the Rams win with Goff IMHO, it will be because of Goff and not a damn thing to do with Fisher.

As Floyd Reese said in his opinion. Fisher never was a talent evaluator. he wanted to have a say and he wanted to have an idea of the people we were going to draft, but as far as, you know, going to the combine, as far as going to pro days, as far doing all that kind of stuff...he really wasn't into all that much.

- Floyd Reese

That quote alone tells you what you want to know as far as Fishers ability to know talent.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with those that say Fisher is an average coach... he's been a head coach for 18 years (throwing out that first year in Houston). During that time, he's had:
6 winning seasons
5 - .500 seasons
7 losing seasons

Not that impressive IMO.

But forgetting history, it's the lack of discipline that's really annoying. He keeps saying they'll fix it, but - yesterday - 8 penalties for -119 yards. I know a couple were very questionable, but that still leaves ~6 and probably a fair amount of yards. And, it's the timing of them.... seem to always come at the most inopportune times.

This team just doesn't seem to be well coached. Like a CEO of a company, the man in charge is responsible.

This is what I wrote in that thread. I'd say not much has changed.

I began to see trends in his second year... same stuff... too many penalties (back then, it was too many and stupid penalties), sloppy play, poor game management, etc.

After this current losing streak (and how the game were lost), I have very little reason to believe these things will change... so here I sit, and wait.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to believe that he was a victim of circumstances. Now I believe that he is responsible for these circumstances

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I was willing to give him another chance in 2014, 2015 was the nail in the coffin where I believe the blunders were on him. The way he prepares against NFC West teams is impressive but his lack of preparation against teams outside the division is mind-boggling. I'd let him play through his contract all the way till week 17 to see if he can at least get 9 wins. If not, he needs to go regardless of Goff's status. This team's not gonna go anywhere if your preparation is exclusive to divisional teams.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Short version - the same.

Long version, you can point to whatever deficiency you want to, but I agree with sitting Goff the whole year. I think Fish wants the line/running game in better shape before playing Goff, and I also think there are a lot of (questionable) assumptions on this board that all the int's are on Keenum. They could be be, but the opposite is possible as well.
Wentz and Prescott would not be playing if it weren't for injuries (subsequent trades), so the quantum leap is made that since they're doing very well, Goff should start. I'd like to see him play, but not under the premise that the Rams are losing because of Keenum. Disagree. In addition, the passing offense has improved by leaps and bounds, (thanks I think to Groh), and maybe it's not second nature to the WRs yet, but it's moving in the right direction. My dilemma is I don't want him extended for 3 years, but do want to see him with Goff next year.
I don't think he's arrogant/stubborn/stupid/or in fear of losing his job. His teams may not be as disciplined as some (most), but's that not the huge issue everyone makes it out to be. The team is still way younger than consistently winning franchises, and given the last decade plus, we are all impatient to see something different, (as am I), but blowing everything up isn't the answer - right now.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
In 2014 I was buying in and really thought Fisher was building a perennial contender with quality youth on the roster. I was not buying into his Bradford "love", however. Heck, I was excited about this year with Gurley, young OL, Quinn & EJ back, Tree in the middle and a young, talented rookie QB. Fisher found a way to "Fisher it", leading the league in penalties, playing a journeyman QB, bone head decisions at critical times, stubborness...etc!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have roped my son into being a Rams fan and I am starting to feel bad for doing it.
Somebody should call child services on you. That's just cruel.
I let my son pick his own team, and he latched onto the Falcons.
The logo, and the colors. Kinda why I picked the Rams as a 13 year old too.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God, I hated the Falcons when they were in our Division... there was this kid in my high school who drew their logo on all his books... I wiped them out with markers! :ROFLMAO:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

LOL I agree. He always wanted to like the same team as I do, because he didn't want us to ever be rooting against each other. He could still change if he gets the gumption.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Thats all this is, redundancy.

I am so sick of Jeff Fisher. He ( and his pressers) make me so SICK and so ANGRY! Yet seemingly numb to the game right now. Such a STUBBORN mule. Geez even more than Spags was.

For YEARS hearing week after week of EXCUSES! While holding NO ACCOUNTABILITY for HIMSELF!

I am really so sick of this crap. We are a JOKE. A pathetic joke at that. Things have not changed. 3-13 or 7-9. Still LOSERS.

So sad.

Einstein.png