Your Personal Worst Sports Moment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nothing comes close to Vinitiari putting it through the uprights to beat us in the SB, I was speechless for five minutes ,motionless for the first two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My worst personal sports moment happened when I was in 7th grade. A senior and one of our star athletes at the school was covering a kick-off return and broke his neck trying to make a tackle. He was paralyzed from the neck down and they were worried he wouldn't survive that night. He did end up surviving and he returned to school the next semester to graduate in his wheelchair. Our football coach at the time, who I knew well because he was my homeroom adviser, was so guilt-ridden by what happened that he quit his job at the school and hasn't coached football since.

The guy who was paralyzed went on to graduate college last spring and then passed away over the summer.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
My worst personal sports moment happened when I was in 7th grade. A senior and one of our star athletes at the school was covering a kick-off return and broke his neck trying to make a tackle. He was paralyzed from the neck down and they were worried he wouldn't survive that night. He did end up surviving and he returned to school the next semester to graduate in his wheelchair. Our football coach at the time, who I knew well because he was my homeroom adviser, was so guilt-ridden by what happened that he quit his job at the school and hasn't coached football since.

The guy who was paralyzed went on to graduate college last spring and then passed away over the summer.

That's heavy. You don't ever really think of that as a possibility when you play contact sports, and then you hear about it.

Jordan Reed fumbleing at the Georgia 5 yard line with 2:05 left down 8 last year. Just an awful feeling.

Puts it all in perspective.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whoa man, lock the thread now nuthin gonna equal that.
Did you know the kid personally?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whoa man, lock the thread now nuthin gonna equal that.
Did you know the kid personally?

Not really. I knew of him. Had met him but we weren't friends or anything.

Lesson

Oh, really?
My worst personal experience is suffering a concussion during practice. Not fun.

The worst one that I've witnessed in person is when I was in HS, and a DB on the opposing team tried tackling our RB. He didn't get low enough and went down hard. He was on the turf for at least 10 minutes before they took him out on a stretcher.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
About 15 years ago when I still put together softball teams to go play in tournaments. One of the guys on my team dinked a little base hit and was running to 1st base when he collapsed. He ended up having a brain aneurism right there on the field. He went into a comma for about a year before they finally turned the machines off and he passed away. His name was Mike Spino. He was only 52 years old at the time.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have two that are embarassing, no deaths (thankfully) or anything.
In 10th grade I was playing TE and was getting very frustrated at how the game was going and how I was playing. I was all effort and little skill. I just kept missing my blocks by half a step, sometimes they worked well enough, sometimes not. The team wasnt very good and we were on our way to another blowout loss. I ran a short route to the middle of the field, the play was blown dead, I was still running at a good clip (for me) when the LB that had been giving me fits all day came right into my sights....a full second and a half after the play was over I blasted this kid, layed him out. Pure frustration play. Showed a real lack of character on my part. Like I said, embarassing. The kid was ok thankfully, just knocked the wind out of him. Coach pulled me out of the game, screamed at me on the sideline and I rode the bench for several weeks after that.
In 12th grade playing basketball I was going full out to save a ball from going out of bounds (again, all hustle, little skill) I lunged for the ball and in the effort unintentionally blew some heat. I was loud enough in the gym none of the people watching it heard (I dont think) but the ref did. Everytime I came close to him during the rest of the game he would just start laughing....not smiling, but full on showing his teeth, face turning red laughing. Kind of summed up my athletic career.

fearsomefour

Legend

Wow. Brutal. Never thought about that stuff playing, its always somewhere in the back of your mind when your kid is playing.
At least the story had a sad ending....bummer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have two that are embarassing, no deaths (thankfully) or anything.
In 10th grade I was playing TE and was getting very frustrated at how the game was going and how I was playing. I was all effort and little skill. I just kept missing my blocks by half a step, sometimes they worked well enough, sometimes not. The team wasnt very good and we were on our way to another blowout loss. I ran a short route to the middle of the field, the play was blown dead, I was still running at a good clip (for me) when the LB that had been giving me fits all day came right into my sights....a full second and a half after the play was over I blasted this kid, layed him out. Pure frustration play. Showed a real lack of character on my part. Like I said, embarassing. The kid was ok thankfully, just knocked the wind out of him. Coach pulled me out of the game, screamed at me on the sideline and I rode the bench for several weeks after that.
In 12th grade playing basketball I was going full out to save a ball from going out of bounds (again, all hustle, little skill) I lunged for the ball and in the effort unintentionally blew some heat. I was loud enough in the gym none of the people watching it heard (I dont think) but the ref did. Everytime I came close to him during the rest of the game he would just start laughing....not smiling, but full on showing his teeth, face turning red laughing. Kind of summed up my athletic career.

Haha. I laughed at the second story. Can relate to both.

Wow. Brutal. Never thought about that stuff playing, its always somewhere in the back of your mind when your kid is playing.
At least the story had a sad ending....bummer.

Bittersweet ending. He managed to overcome it all to get a college degree before he passed on. Died way too young but when you look at what he managed to accomplish despite it all, it's inspiring.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Haha. I laughed at the second story. Can relate to both.

Bittersweet ending. He managed to overcome it all to get a college degree before he passed on. Died way too young but when you look at what he managed to accomplish despite it all, it's inspiring.

Jrry I dunno how old you are but the fact that you find that kid inspiring is pretty mature of you.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I guess the worst that didn't happen to me, but a guy who i idolized. I was about 13-14, he was probably around 18 and insanely good bowler, always looked up to him and stuff and his home bowling was same as mine. Anyways one weekend he was out with some friends jet skiing and his buddy jumped a wave and landed right on top of him and killed him. I wasn't there or anything but was still pretty shaken up when i heard what happened.

Worst that happened to me was probably the one year i played little league baseball. And i mean the whole year was horrible. I sucked big time, got hit in the head probably 20+ times. I was the nerdy twig guy. Even the kid who was smaller than me was better lol. I did have some sick catches at 2nd base though. But in all, i was horrendous. A whole year of suckatude.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Nothing comes close to Vinitiari putting it through the uprights to beat us in the SB, I was speechless for five minutes ,motionless for the first two.
Idk that hurt man, but Steve Smith taking that slant 60 yards on the first play of double OT to end the RAMS last playoff appearance hits home for me I was crying after that one... I kinda had a feeling that was our last opportunity to do something special. :sad:

fearsomefour

Legend
Idk that hurt man, but Steve Smith taking that slant 60 yards on the first play of double OT to end the RAMS last playoff appearance hits home for me I was crying after that one... I kinda had a feeling that was our last opportunity to do something special. :sad:
Your feeling was right.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Holy shyte, I'm not going to come up with anything worse than that moment

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Pretty much every time I came to bat in littleleague. Knock the cover off the ball in bp than gametime choke city. Hit against rick sutcliffe. The bat never left my shoulder.