Young quality over quantity at receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/103594/young-quality-over-quantity-at-wide-receiver" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... e-receiver</a>

The St. Louis Rams list nine wide receivers on their 90-man roster. That is the lowest figure in the NFL and three below the league average.

The overall number isn't most important to the Rams right now. For the first time in recent memory, they have five young receivers they're eager to build around: Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey and Austin Pettis.

Pettis, Givens and Quick are returning. Austin and Bailey are new. Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander, Brandon Gibson, Greg Salas and Steve Smith are among those gone from this time last year.

For a closer look at rosters for the Rams and their NFC West rivals, check out my latest roster file, ready for download here.

Enjoy your Saturday -- the second-to-last one before training camps open.

GXmfvbR.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

good. let them young guys get as many reps as they can.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I find it interesting that they only have a total of 9 WRs in camp. Far less than the other teams. I'm not sure what that means but we have 5 that we know are gonna make the team and then what? I haven't heard anything about the other WRs.

I'd think at least two more make the roster/PS.

Thoughts?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Young quality really hurt us when Tory got here - eh?

fearsomefour

Legend
We know the 5 that are making it for sure. I dont think it is a sure bet that any more make it. It would really come down to area of need (like keeping an extra Olineman or an extra S to see how that plays out). It may really come down to potential help on special teams. I think we could go into the season 4 TEs and 5 WRs. It could be a strange situation at LB as well. I could see as few as 5 dressing on Sundays....maybe even 4. With battles wide open for depth spots at LB Oline S and that last WR spot we could end up with a slightly non traditional roster make up.

…..

Legend
Its ok....we got more TE's and one of those thinks he's a reciever.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fearsomefour wanting to live on a deserted island:
We know the 5 that are making it for sure. I dont think it is a sure bet that any more make it. It would really come down to area of need (like keeping an extra Olineman or an extra S to see how that plays out). It may really come down to potential help on special teams. I think we could go into the season 4 TEs and 5 WRs. It could be a strange situation at LB as well. I could see as few as 5 dressing on Sundays....maybe even 4. With battles wide open for depth spots at LB Oline S and that last WR spot we could end up with a slightly non traditional roster make up.

I see a 100% chance that more than 5 make it on the roster/PS. Do you really think that if we have an XXXXXX or two in our WR corps we're gonna want to get someone off the street to fill in? You might be able to get away with that at some of the other positions like LB (I don't see it happening there either) but the offense is way too complicated for that kind of thing. Especially at WR.

How many that dress on game day is another thing entirely.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think we will keep more than 5 on the game days roster, the traditional six probably. I was just saying with 5 spots locked up and Cook running some routes at WR I could see that extra roster spot being taken by an extra DB, an extra Dlineman or even LB. Either way, I am sure we will keep at least one on the practice squad.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fearsomefour refining his thoughts:
I think we will keep more than 5 on the game days roster, the traditional six probably. I was just saying with 5 spots locked up and Cook running some routes at WR I could see that extra roster spot being taken by an extra DB, an extra Dlineman or even LB. Either way, I am sure we will keep at least one on the practice squad.

I could get on board with that, and it might happen but IMO it's too dangerous to try and slip your 6th WR onto the PS. Where are you if another team takes him?

There is another aspect to this that you might not be thinking about. One or one and a half of our TEs will be filling the role of FB. I think we need independent depth at TE and WR in case of you know what.

We'll see how it plays out but we've already seen what happens when we don't have enough WRs experienced in our system.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I agree with the general consensus here. 5 of those 9 are locks to make the roster (BQ, Givens, Austin, Pettis, and Bailey). Plus Cook will be utilized out of the slot as much as he will be used in-line. That makes him pretty much the 6h WR. I'm not sold that we'll keep a 6th WR, tho. I think either Blake, Johnson, Radway, or Helmick will have to turn some heads or be ST studs to make the roster.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kinda refreshing that some are worried about having another team wanting to sign our 6th wide receiver to their game day roster if we put him on the practice squad.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
I agree with the general consensus here. 5 of those 9 are locks to make the roster (BQ, Givens, Austin, Pettis, and Bailey). Plus Cook will be utilized out of the slot as much as he will be used in-line. That makes him pretty much the 6h WR. I'm not sold that we'll keep a 6th WR, tho. I think either Blake, Johnson, Radway, or Helmick will have to turn some heads or be ST studs to make the roster.

Based on last year's training camp, and comments from the staff, they seem to really like Nick Johnson. He sort of came out of nowhere to stick around throughout last season (albeit on the PS). He gets plenty of reps as a return guy, and always seems to make plays when he does get his reps during practice. Radway is the one guy who might be THIS years no name surprise. Was around enough last year to have a head start on the other 2 UDFA's, and he can really run.

Looking forward to seeing him in person.

It would not surprise me in the least, if they end up with 5 WRs AND 5 TEs on the 53 man coming out of camp. With Kendricks and most likely McNeil being used as a FB/H-Back, guys like Harkey and Lutzenkirchen stand a good chance of sticking around. Obviously, the swing guy is Cook.

There are so many ways they can go with the roster, it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
libertadrocks said:

Based on last year's training camp, and comments from the staff, they seem to really like Nick Johnson. He sort of came out of nowhere to stick around throughout last season (albeit on the PS). He gets plenty of reps as a return guy, and always seems to make plays when he does get his reps during practice. Radway is the one guy who might be THIS years no name surprise. Was around enough last year to have a head start on the other 2 UDFA's, and he can really run.

It would not surprise me in the least, if they end up with 5 WRs AND 5 TEs on the 53 man coming out of camp. With Kendricks and most likely McNeil being used as a FB/H-Back, guys like Harkey and Lutzenkirchen stand a good chance of sticking around. Obviously, the swing guy is Cook.

There are so many ways they can go with the roster, it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.
And you'll be providing camp reports as you watch it unfold, yeah? :wewt:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
CoachO said:
libertadrocks said:

That's the plan!!! I have every intention of being there EVERYDAY!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
X said:
CoachO said:
libertadrocks said:

Awesome. I really enjoyed those last year.
Beddy beddy insightful.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:

Man - SOOOOOOO looking forward to the reports.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Take this with you. You'll be treated like Royalty.

ROYALTY, I TELLS YA!

GRn6m7H.jpg