You Notice that Quinn is the Voice of the Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not disagreeing with you necessarily, but did Faulk win any more Super Bowls as a player, than Gregg Williams did as a DC in New Orleans?

That is some backwards logic there. What is the difference? Both are football people that are in the Pros and both understand the game. If Faulk says that the toughest Ds he faced were the simpler schemes then they were. He is regarded as not only one of the best RBs to play the game but also one of the most intelligent. I would argue that Williams has not been nearly as successful in his career as Marshall has been. I am only guessing here but if you polled coaches and asked them who they would rather have on their team I bet they take Marshall the RB over Williams the DC

tempests

Hall of Fame
So you are building a team and you can only take one, are you taking Quinn or Donald?

Tough call. How fortunate are the Rams that they don't have to make it. Both those guys could've easily been gone in the draft before the team had their shot.

I'll take Quinn, I think the position he plays allows him to have the greater chance of affecting the outcomes of games with splash plays.
He will be an annual threat to lead the league in sacks and forced fumbles, at least through the end of the decade.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is some backwards logic there. What is the difference? Both are football people that are in the Pros and both understand the game. If Faulk says that the toughest Ds he faced were the simpler schemes then they were. He is regarded as not only one of the best RBs to play the game but also one of the most intelligent. I would argue that Williams has not been nearly as successful in his career as Marshall has been. I am only guessing here but if you polled coaches and asked them who they would rather have on their team I bet they take Marshall the RB over Williams the DC
Well, we are talking about a D Coordinator knowing his job and getting paid for it, vs a RB that never did that job....How is that backwards logic?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, we are talking about a D Coordinator knowing his job and getting paid for it, vs a RB that never did that job....How is that backwards logic?

Marshall is one of the most knowledgeable fans to play the game. He knows football and has faced many many different defenses. He said the simpler ones were harder to play against. How many defenses did Greg Williams play against?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marshall is one of the most knowledgeable fans to play the game. He knows football and has faced many many different defenses. He said the simpler ones were harder to play against. How many defenses did Greg Williams play against?
He creates defenses..seems to be on a higher level in knowing what works on a defense than a great player thats from the offensive POV,,JMO

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
It is just different perspectives. I don't think Williams has nearly as much experience playing against defenses as Marshall. Furthermore, him expressing the simpler schemes were tougher shouldn't be interpreted to mean simpler defenses are better. He is just expressing his opinion from the perspective of a RB. I'm sure Peyton Manning has a different opinion from his QB perspective (from experience with us I imagine). I would also imagine simple schemes may be harder for a RB since everyone on defense is evenly distributed, not leaving room for big holes. However, a QB could probably decipher and wreck that predictably simple defense. Complex schemes are (by design) meant to be harder for a QB to understand, Marshall's insight just tells me that the trade-off in a complex defense may just be that it makes it easier on a running back, therefore you run defense may notice a decrease in performance.

There is no one answer in football, at least not after Wang was cut.