You ever have one of those Mortality Moments?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me I guess the first time was when I stepped into an elevator and it was playing Hotel California in the background. I thought to myself why are they playing the eagles in here. Then being called sir outside of a work environment. "Can I help you sir?", "How are you today sir?" Sir, sir, sir. Why not just call me grandpa kid? And celebrities , seen a picture of Chevy Chase lately ? Its like no way. And my biggest crush as a teenager Linda Ronstadt. Seen a picture of her lately? It was like no fing way. I mean I went with my High School sweetheart simply because she was a dead ringer for Linda. But I guess my biggest wake up call to age was my father passing a few years back. The hero of my youth, the one that chased away the monsters from under my bed laid low by cancer. Up until that point like some others for some reason I believed I would live forever. Not so much anymore. Another annoying fact is we guys go through life whether in a committed relationship or married believing that we can tap every pretty girl we see. "Oh yeah if I really wanted that I could have it." Its a quite sad awakening when you see that pretty girl walking down the street and your mind tells you it aint ever gonna happen. Something to look forward to you young guys. But on the positive side you can get a nice discount at the Golden Corral on Tuesday nights.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Twice last year.

I'm a huge fan of ELP. Fantastically love them.

In 2016 Kieth Emerson committed suicide early in the year and then Greg Lake died from cancer at the end of the year.

I couldn't listen to any of the loads of ELP recordings on my device for quite awhile. I was in HS when I fell in love with the music and have listened to them so much for so long.

And Susan Sarandon whom I have always thought was sexy AF. I saw a pic of her not long ago and thought "yeah I would hit that".

She was like 70. Which means I am old enough to want to bang an old lady.

Some ELP trivia.

Apparently, there was lots of speculation that Hendrix would join ELP and both sides considered it.

It was rejected because both Emerson and Hendrix were virtuosos so even if magic happened, eventually two divas together meant eventual meltdown. At least that's how both Emerson and Lake remember it.

And then Hendrix died in September of '70 making the issue moot and in October, ELP's self-titled album debuted.

I'm sad just thinking of how freaking awesome that collaboration would have been, even if it were short-lived.

And as much as some speculate, they wouldn't have been called HELP. Nobody involved liked that name...LOL.

Oh, and I still thing Brain Salad Surgery is one of the best albums of all time. Karn Evil No. 9 blew my dang mind...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some ELP trivia.

Apparently, there was lots of speculation that Hendrix would join ELP and both sides considered it.

It was rejected because both Emerson and Hendrix were virtuosos so even if magic happened, eventually two divas together meant eventual meltdown. At least that's how both Emerson and Lake remember it.

And then Hendrix died in September of '70 making the issue moot and in October, ELP's self-titled album debuted.

I'm sad just thinking of how freaking awesome that collaboration would have been, even if it were short-lived.

And as much as some speculate, they wouldn't have been called HELP. Nobody involved liked that name...LOL.

Oh, and I still thing Brain Salad Surgery is one of the best albums of all time. Karn Evil No. 9 blew my dang mind...

I'm an aficionado of ELP. The story about Hendrix is true. There was more than one conversation about it and it wasn't passing chatter.

There was also a rumor that Paul McCartney was in the bands sights as well when they were forming and getting ready to record, which means Lake would have played guitar not bass.

Karn Evil 9 is the actual title, and yes it's fantastic.

The name HELP was shaken off because of the Beatles hit album I bet. I have no way of knowing that but I would bet $$$ that's what it was.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm an aficionado of ELP. The story about Hendrix is true. There was more than one conversation about it and it wasn't passing chatter.

There was also a rumor that Paul McCartney was in the bands sights as well when they were forming and getting ready to record, which means Lake would have played guitar not bass.

Karn Evil 9 is the actual title, and yes it's fantastic.

The name HELP was shaken off because of the Beatles hit album I bet. I have no way of knowing that but I would bet $$$ that's what it was.

Yeah, I always get the title confused for some reason.

Hadn't heard about McCartney, but I can see that. Completely different vibe, but woulda been about a thousand times better than Wings.

I dunno if it was the Beatles' song or what, but it seemed nobody associated with them liked it (even though it seems fans drooled at the prospect).

My dad got me into ELP. When I went into a Tower Records, I saw this amazing album cover with H.R. Giger art and I just had to have it for that. Then I saw that it was ELP and I knew I'd struck gold. Even then I wasn't prepared.

ELP's version of Aaron Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man still gives me goosebumps.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hadn't heard about McCartney, but I can see that. Completely different vibe, but woulda been about a thousand times better than Wings.

I think it was because of PC's lyrical ability and the fact that Lake enjoyed collaborating during songwriting.

ELP's version of Aaron Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man still gives me goosebumps.

My gift to you.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I received this in the mail today:
"Dear [LoyalRam].
One of the many pleasures of serving as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs is congratulating our graduating seniors who have distinguished themselves during their academic careers. I am pleased to inform you that a review of your transcript indicates that, at this time, you have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.9. This accomplishment affords you the distinction of graduating Summa Cum Laude. This is an excellent accomplishment which you should be very proud. Congratulations! Your achievement will be noted in the Commencement program."

I won't lie, I have been waiting for this letter for 2 years. Many late nights writing essays and studying for tests by constant repetition, at the age of 53 (today). It's a goal that I have had my whole life. I know many of you did this in the proper order of your life...It was expected, so you did it in your early 20's. I was a "D"student in High School, probably because I had ADHD before anyone knew what that was in the 70's. Besides wanting the achievement of the degree, I wanted the degree behind my name so that my historical fiction would have more gravitas. i might be the biggest fool in the history of man to incur student loans at this age, but I am hoping to be a modern day Grandma Moses. A talented painter that knew success late in life...Maybe a successful writer? Ha! i'm an idiot.:rockon: I just don't know any other way..

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got my cap and gown, honor cord, and had another cord from the honor society Phi Kappa Phi...Dec. 16th. In the Spring semester, I will be teaching classes on Kansas history as needed, and I have never done that before as a Masters Teaching Assistant. lol..What have I gotten myself into?..they think I know stuff! :help:

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I got my cap and gown, honor cord, and had another cord from the honor society Phi Kappa Phi...Dec. 16th. In the Spring semester, I will be teaching classes on Kansas history as needed, and I have never done that before as a Masters Teaching Assistant. lol..What have I gotten myself into?..they think I know stuff! :help:

Congrats to you, you family must be amazingly proud of this and what it meant to you to finish. Make them buy you dinner!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tonight I finished my degree in silence. I finished a 2550 word book review on Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick, and now I am drinking Keystone Light(s) in celebration with my dogs. I can't believe I did it. Goodnight!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wide view of the auditorium...We had more than 500 graduating this Fall and obviously the actual numbers resemble an LA Coliseum "sell out." ...lol

This is me rising to be recognized at one of the 14 students achieving summa cum laude recognition
0YZjOln.png

I am recognized for being a veteran and get a HUGE applause which surprised me. Many of the graduates had their own contingents in the audience who were very loud. My wife was in the audience which was great, but no one else. So the general applause for this old Navy guy was amazing!
ZFXH3dU.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@LoyalRam That's amazing. Graduating Summa Cum Laude is an amazing accomplishment, and you're awesome for doing it.

As for my mortality moment...that would be nearly dying. Twice when doctors were trying to save my life after my suicide attempt, another time when I had sepsis from the resulting injuries.

Sorry if I sound morbid, but I've never felt more mortal than that time. Most people believe that you feel immortal as a teen and/or young adult. I never really felt that way. Back then, all I could think about was dying.

Now? Not so much. Thank fate for the right medication.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You'll be fine, man. If you try, you're doing more than a number of professors who are there to do research and view teaching as below them.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Wide view of the auditorium...We had more than 500 graduating this Fall and obviously the actual numbers resemble an LA Coliseum "sell out." ...lol

This is me rising to be recognized at one of the 14 students achieving summa cum laude recognition
0YZjOln.png

I am recognized for being a veteran and get a HUGE applause which surprised me. Many of the graduates had their own contingents in the audience who were very loud. My wife was in the audience which was great, but no one else. So the general applause for this old Navy guy was amazing!
ZFXH3dU.png

Couldn't be prouder, brother and shipmate.

Fair winds and following seas!!!

You're living my dream!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know....I'm gonna graduate with a BS degree in December and I had fully planned to "walk", but now I am shying away from it. I probably will look ridiculous at my age doing it :sneak:
Got to do it!!!!