You be the GM: keep or trade our 6th rounders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just out of curiosity, if you were the GM, would you want to keep to keep our 6th rounders or would you want to deal them in the mid-rounds to ensure that you grab a guy you want a couple spots ahead of where you're drafting.

Of course, I understand many answers may be predicated on who is there in - say - the 3rd or 4th round.

Depending how FA goes, we may end up having surprising depth at a number of positions, WR, CB, Safety...

I'm of the mind that 7th rounders are for locking down UFAs that you don't want to be outbid or out marketed for, 6th rounders are for depth and ST. If we shore up the above positions, I like the thought of trading the 6ths (some or all) to move up and down in the draft.

(Down, because I could see us sliding from the first for picks but giving back a 6th or something).

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Keep them. Our sixth rounders have been names such as Greg Zuerlein, E.J. Gaines, Tanzel Smart, Mike Thomas, Temarrick Hemingway, and Sam Rogers. You can still hit a lot with those picks.

If we can trade them for high picks, sure, but don't discount the value that Snead can find in the later rounds.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
this is a interesting ? you could keep them and hope you get a diamond in the ruff. I wonder if your team is pretty deep if you wouldn't be better off to trade your 4 5 6 and 7(in year when you have all your picks)this would get you 4 in the top 100. if you keep all 7 then you have to cut 7 this means you either cut some of the ones you just drafted or cut some from the years before. so if we keep all our picks this year we may wind up cutting sam rogers, mike Thomas and possibly hemingway. then next year we cut some of this years to make room for them. if you look at the post above the leg might have been got as a udfa gaines is gone smart is a keeper Thomas is a s teamer that could be cut to make room for this years draft(although I doubt it) hemingway is a? and rogers is on ps.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep them. Our sixth rounders have been names such as Greg Zuerlein, E.J. Gaines, Tanzel Smart, Mike Thomas, Temarrick Hemingway, and Sam Rogers. You can still hit a lot with those picks.

If we can trade them for high picks, sure, but don't discount the value that Snead can find in the later rounds.

Good point... but Sam Rodgers, a hit?!?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
We are a young team. But it will be harder for someone coming in to make the team. A sixth rounder would have to really set the world on fire to make this team. So, if they could be used as currency and grab someone a couple of rounds above that spot, it would probably net us someone more likely to make it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd use the picks for OL, depth & special teams types.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good point... but Sam Rodgers, a hit?!?

I feel like he's going to make this team with a year in an NFL training room. We kept him on the practice squad for a reason. Maybe it's too early, but I feel confident in Rogers' ability.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
draft is deeper than ever...teams are built on there bottom picks...keep them...scout better.

Ram65

Legend
I don't have a set answer. Sometimes you need to use them in a trade. Rams are in between needing quantity vs quality. Let's see who they resign first.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep them, our coaching staff will probably want to build up depth with their guys and we have and could continue to get som value in the 6th. Just for the sake of argument the three picks in the sixth total 56 points on the draft value chart. That also happens to be the value of our 4th round pick.

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
I don't have a set answer. Sometimes you need to use them in a trade. Rams are in between needing quantity vs quality. Let's see who they resign first.

I good scouting department can make 6th round picks all good depth players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I feel like he's going to make this team with a year in an NFL training room. We kept him on the practice squad for a reason. Maybe it's too early, but I feel confident in Rogers' ability.

IDK, was confused when the pick was made and don't feel he fits McVay's scheme. Plus Sam Rogers is too small for a FB and too slow for anything else. Good blocker in college, totally different at the next level. IMO, they kept him for his work ethic, but time to move one to someone who can actually help the team. Again hope I'm wrong.

BTW @Memento your are one of the most compassionate posters on this board and don't change ever, as to me, well, they don't call me the Tin Man for nothing.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Use them to move up

I concur you can use them as collateral...a 5th and two 6th's for a 4th, it there is a player you like. Rams now have 4 6th's round picks, IMO, they won't keep all those picks or the players they select with them. Move up to the 4th and still walk away with a better player in the 4th (most likely) and two more draft picks after.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How many fifth and sixth round picks stick with a team for more than three years?

Don’t count the last two years. Who is on the team from the fifth or higher rounds?

Greg Zuerlein.
Bryce Hager

Am I missing anyone?

If you go back to 2010 they got a lot of miles from Eugene Sims.

They traded EJ Gaines

If you look back they haven’t gotten much production out of round 4 either.

So trading up would improve the odds of landing an impact player over time

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fortunately, it's not an either/or situation.

If I were GM I'd be wanting depth - but at least one of those picks would be used to nab somebody who was falling but I felt would be a great fit and might not fall quite enough. I wouldn't want to be bringing 4 6th rounders into camp, though, unless a trade just couldn't be worked out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
this Rams team is entering into a new phase that Snead has yet to be in. Snead has always had more selections that normal since he arrived. Plus those added selections were first & second day draft picks too. Since the Goff trade 2016 Draft that has been reversed & this Ram team since has had less 1st & second day draft selections thus less young highly talented draft prospects coming in & sticking on the rosters 2016/2017.

Look at our secondary we do not have any Snead draft selections signed in reserve & only one Snead draft selection starting. Yes we do have Marqui Christian (Eagles 5th rd) & Blake Countess (Cards 6th rd) signed but they were not drafted by Snead. Same can be said for our OL reserves no Snead draft selection present.

I have no problem with Snead using one or maybe two of those third day picks to move up bit I would prefer that he utilize a Tavon Austin or a Mark Barron in late April if he wants extra ammo. Yes he will loose some cap funds since he will have to pay to have both on the roster when the draft takes place but its not a bad way to go when you have so many holes to fill & less draft ammo.

I think this 2018 season we will see a lot more of these 5th & 6th rd Snead selection make the roster & be here for 2 to 3 seasons.

Ram65

Legend
I good scouting department can make 6th round picks all good depth players.

A good scouting department could find good depth in UDFA with less cost. Rams turned the roster over a lot last year. They have good young players @ WR, LBer and Defensive Back. Special teams played very well. Those are your depth players. As I said no set answer. Having 4 picks in round 6 gives options to make a couple picks and trade a couple picks. Hope they hit on all the draft picks and others this year.