Yes, body slams are illegal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Case in point, the Fluker body slam.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257886/Fluker-body-slam

Why wasn't the Borland body slam called? Oh, cuz it was the 49ers who did it.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000421800/Wk-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-The-Borland-Body-Slam

Amazingly, the Borland body slam of Mason is celebrated on NFL.COM. For clarity, it is not posted on NFL.COM because it was an illegal play that wasn't called, but that it was a spectacular and noteworthy play that should be celebrated. Even the link and the page title specifically say "body slam", the actual name of the infraction.

You can be darn certain that the refs would have called it if the Rams had picked up and suplex slammed Frank Gore.

I'm getting tired of the double standard.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Agreed. And that would have extended our drive & put us around the 15 yardline allowing us to run 2 more minutes off the clock

Athos

Legend
Bama DT in 2012 did it to one of Mizzou's RBs. Got called for it. 15 yard penalty. About the same exact play that occurred with Mason.

Total bunk and why Goodell and the NFL is full of shit about player safety. Suplex body slam on a guy's shoulder/neck/head area holds far more damaging consequences that a love tap on a QB's helmet, shoulder, or that Brockers sack that "wasn't" last year.

jap

Legend
I can't even keep up with Goodall's rule changes any more. Have vivid memories of players (e.g., Cowboys' QB Roger Staubach) being body slammed throughout my NFL viewing life, which is why I thought nothing of today's play.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I disagree with you on this one. The rules do not specify anything about a bodyslam and the major difference between those two videos are that one is a ball carrier and the other is not. Also, the ball had not been blown dead. I love my rams but I'm ok with this call.

jjab360

Legend
There were a lot of fuckups, bad calls, bad missed calls, and just overall strange activity going on with the refs today. Some went our way, some went the other way. It is what it is I guess, hoping for a day when the refs don't have such a huge impact on the game like they do now.

jjab360

Legend
I disagree with you on this one. The rules do not specify anything about a bodyslam and the major difference between those two videos are that one is a ball carrier and the other is not. Also, the ball had not been blown dead. I love my rams but I'm ok with this call.
Actually they do, and not only are you supposed to be penalized but you're supposed to be fined as well. As for examples of players getting penalized for bodyslamming the ballcarrier, just google "nfl bodyslam penalty" or something like that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

We'll find out when he's fined or not.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No excuse to miss that call, it was right in front of the officials I'm a firm believer that most NFL officials just don't know the rules and should have to take test accordingly. If you know that it's illegal you don't miss the call they just did not realize it was illegal.

And Jerome Booger is the worst official in the NFL, he's the modern day Phil Luckett. It is a disgrace that the NFL employees such an incompetent individual!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Actually they do, and not only are you supposed to be penalized but you're supposed to be fined as well. As for examples of players getting penalized for bodyslamming the ballcarrier, just google "nfl bodyslam penalty" or something like that.
I'm staring at the rule book for unnecessary roughness and it makes no mention of the word body slam. It does mention "(e) throwing the runner into the ground after the ball is dead; " but like I mentioned, the whistle had not been blown.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If this game would have gone the other way we would be so pissing and moaning about that punt return phantom whistle and that non-call on the head slam. We scored 3 points on that drive and the refs scored 4. Fortunately for us we defeated both the whiners and the refs today.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Back in 2010, Rolando McClain was penalized for body slamming Danny Amendola. He had the ball, too, and the whistle had not blown.

(3:52) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 16-D.Amendola to OAK 48 for 6 yards (55-R.McClain). PENALTY on OAK-55-R.McClain, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at OAK 48.

Last edited:

69superbowl

Rookie
Another, small point I hve been thinking about is the placememt of the ball on the ram 20 following the kraperdick fumble.

ok, I'll gladly accept that laurinaitis recovered the ball, but it would have been inside the one, not the end zone, right?

the camera only showed jl runming off the field. It would have had some implication on the rams next play - perhaps taking a safety.

no explanation was given on the live broadcast. I think it was another officiating error in a game riddled with amateurish mistakes. The league needs to address the incompetence of the refereeing before it taints the league ala the sport of professional boxing not long ago.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
69Superbowl - - - if the ball was recovered in the endzone then it's a touchback (assuming JL is down by contact). That would place the ball on the 20 just like on kickoffs and punts that go into the endzone. You are correct there was no explanation.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Case in point, the Fluker body slam.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257886/Fluker-body-slam

Why wasn't the Borland body slam called? Oh, cuz it was the 49ers who did it.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000421800/Wk-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-The-Borland-Body-Slam

Amazingly, the Borland body slam of Mason is celebrated on NFL.COM. For clarity, it is not posted on NFL.COM because it was an illegal play that wasn't called, but that it was a spectacular and noteworthy play that should be celebrated. Even the link and the page title specifically say "body slam", the actual name of the infraction.

You can be darn certain that the refs would have called it if the Rams had picked up and suplex slammed Frank Gore.

I'm getting tired of the double standard.

Yep.
Although the game announcers did say it should have been called.

I like to imagine Goodell being asked why this blatantly wrong call, or that blatantly wrong call was called this way, and Goodell saying "Because fuck you Rams" with a troll smile and a little wink. It serves no purpose but to increase my hatred for him.

Philly5

Rookie
Maybe the official didn't see it? :cautious: Or the timing wasn't right for a 49ers penalty? Amazing how much laundry there was on the last drive.