Ye gods Hooey is bad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He didn't embarrass himself at RT, true enough. But I think he might be competing with Van Dyk for the 61 now.

I think you are right in that, especially if they decide to keep Jones on the 53 man roster. If they don't, I think Hooey gets the 10th OL spot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think you are right in that, especially if they decide to keep Jones on the 53 man roster. If they don't, I think Hooey gets the 10th OL spot.
That spot may end up being the waiver wire, like Barksdale, but only if there is someone who we have high praise of. It's hard letting someone go that you've put much time and effort into, but this staff has proven that they don't keep favorites, for the sake of keeping favorites. I like that about this staff....and it is not easy to do.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
why do you continue to refer to it as the "47"? it's a 45 man game day roster with an exemption for the 3rd QB. .....which will allow 46 if you dress
(designate) a 3rd QB.

I'm usually a numbers guy. Early onset Alzheimer's?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the likes of Davin Joseph, and Travis Bond as depth guys at Guard, Person won't be counted on much to play Guard. He will be considered a depth OT, and even a backup at Center.

Given that this is a thread about Sean Hooey, did you happen to notice how much better he was at RIGHT TACKLE? Everyone wants to pile on over his stint at LT, including the "professional" announcers we had to endure listening to on the broadcast. But if you realize that he was in the game from the 2nd qtr on, at RT, you will see he didn't play all that bad.

I am of the impression that Fisher, Shotty & Boudreau are settled on who the 8th OL'ers are with the three top reserves being Barnes/Joseph& Person. Of those three reserves Joseph is strictly a Guard right side only OG @ that Barnes & Person have worked many different posts in previous pre seasons. So they are working on finding #9 & #10.
Questions
Is ORG Bond the #9?
Has Joseph ORG & Travis Bond ORG have we see these two in any other positions than this ORG post?
Did Bond get any work in @ Right OT or OLG in the OTA's?
Has Bond shown at any time he has the versatility to play anywhere else @ this level & if he does why have we not seen any of that up till now?
Do the Rams need all those ORG's on the master roster? Thought the real need was a reserve right OT thus the ORT Hooey discussion?

:bueller:
That spot may end up being the waiver wire, like Barksdale,
You may be on target there DR RAM about the 9 & 10th OL'ers may be a WWC.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am of the impression that Fisher, Shotty & Boudreau are settled on who the 8th OL'ers are with the three top reserves being Barnes/Joseph& Person. Of those three reserves Joseph is strictly a Guard right side only OG @ that Barnes & Person have worked many different posts in previous pre seasons. So they are working on finding #9 & #10.
Questions
Is ORG Bond the #9?
Has Joseph ORG & Travis Bond ORG have we see these two in any other positions than this ORG post?
Did Bond get any work in @ Right OT or OLG in the OTA's?
Has Bond shown at any time he has the versatility to play anywhere else @ this level & if he does why have we not seen any of that up till now?
Do the Rams need all those ORG's on the master roster? Thought the real need was a reserve right OT thus the ORT Hooey discussion?

:bueller:

You may be on target there DR RAM about the 9 & 10th OL'ers may be a WWC.
All good questions, can Bond play on the left, or can he maybe play Center??? That's kind of where I'm at right now, and it's hard to keep a RTO, unless he's really good, I guess. I'm really bummed we just missed on Bakhtiari. He'd have fit anywhere, me thinks, but that wasn't an option unless we traded up. To me, Bonifay, Bond seems to be the question we need to answer. Can he play anywhere else? He appears to be good enough to develop.

Person is definitely the swing OT, and possible emergency LG, but I hope it doesn't come to that. He's a much better OT. I don't see any chance of an RTO (Hooey) making the game day roster, but could, if good enough, make the team. I just don't think he will. Jones would have been that emergency guy, and would possibly have dressed over Person, or Barnes, at times. They will be looking at upside for all of these guys when making final roster decisions.

One last thought, Saffold could play either side, and G. Robinson is getting a lot of quality reps at LT, he'd probably be a beastly RT if needed, but that would be too much on his plate right now. I think we have most of the pieces, but fitting them together is going to be interesting. I will listen to all thoughts on the matter.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
On the day I was able to attend the OTA, Bond was getting a look at Tackle. That's where I first noticed him. Obviously, since then, they have settled with him at RG, behind Joseph.

The way I see this developing with the current personnel..... we all know the preferred stating unit: LT: Long LG: Robinson C: Wells RG: Saffold RT: Barksdale

Saffold is the wildcard in this whole thing. If anyone not named Wells goes down, he moves into the void. Be it LG, LT or even RT. Which then bumps Joseph into the RG spot. They then have Bond as the backup to Joseph @RG. With Person being able to backup the Tackle spots, if Saffold indeed has to go to one of those spots. And Barnes would back up at both Center and LG.

If Saffold is the one who goes down, then Joseph steps in, and rest all assume those backup roles. They most likely can get by with dressing 8 on game day. With Bond and whoever (Jones, Hooey, or WWC pickup) ends up as the 10th guy standing by if its more than a game injury.

Alan

Legend
I didn't read every post in this thread so I hope this hasn't already been said but they did make a serious effort to trade up for Zack Martin. When that fell through the value just wasn't there anymore due to the usual, as of late, run in the 1st round on anyone who might be able to play tackle. Plus we desperately needed help on the back end.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
On the day I was able to attend the OTA, Bond was getting a look at Tackle. That's where I first noticed him. Obviously, since then, they have settled with him at RG, behind Joseph.

The way I see this developing with the current personnel..... we all know the preferred stating unit: LT: Long LG: Robinson C: Wells RG: Saffold RT: Barksdale

Saffold is the wildcard in this whole thing. If anyone not named Wells goes down, he moves into the void. Be it LG, LT or even RT. Which then bumps Joseph into the RG spot. They then have Bond as the backup to Joseph @RG. With Person being able to backup the Tackle spots, if Saffold indeed has to go to one of those spots. And Barnes would back up at both Center and LG.

If Saffold is the one who goes down, then Joseph steps in, and rest all assume those backup roles. They most likely can get by with dressing 8 on game day. With Bond and whoever (Jones, Hooey, or WWC pickup) ends up as the 10th guy standing by if its more than a game injury.
Right now, I see it exactly the same way. Want to see more of Bond at a different position though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Right now, I see it exactly the same way. Want to see more of Bond at a different position though.
AT this point, I get the feeling they want him to get ONE position down, before throwing more at him. If you know what I mean.

People seem to be overlooking the guy they had planned on being that 2nd unit LG has not practiced in 2 weeks, and IMO, his days are numbered. Simple case of "out of sight, out of mind" with Brandon Washington.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
AT this point, I get the feeling they want him to get ONE position down, before throwing more at him. If you know what I mean.

People seem to be overlooking the guy they had planned on being that 2nd unit LG has not practiced in 2 weeks, and IMO, his days are numbered. Simple case of "out of sight, out of mind" with Brandon Washington.
I was never a fan, so I'm really glad Bond has stepped up. B. Washington did show improvement, but man, his feet seemed stuck in quicksand sometimes. This can also be caused by being overloaded. I do know what you mean, because I just mentioned that G. Robinson would probably get looks at RT too, but it's just too much to put on him right now.

Overall, the depth is starting to come at most positions, and what were seeing was a lot of our depth playing against a Superbowl contender. Call me not worried, and moving in a positive direction.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep CoachO were see this very close as I often do get into the deep weeds with this OL stuff but this triplicating @ ORG has to lead me that Saffold post would be the first post to fill if there were a need @ OLT/ORT or OLG. Right?

This movement would insert vet Joseph into ORG. But the Joseph health has been an issue for two season now so there would be some concern with that so now enters Travis Bond who may not be any good anywhere else on the OL but we know he can hold his own @ this same Saffold/Joseph post ORG. Thus making Travis Bond a very good bet to make the master roster as #9. I would prefer that if Boudreau was to try Bond out @ another post I would prefer it be the ORT post.

Brandon Washington time as a Ram IMO has past. Last pre season BW played heavy in all the pre season games @ first ORT & ORG then later mostly OLG. Washington's only game experience came in game #17 when things were at their worse in that OL. IMO the best position that BW plays is OLG. Really he's not all that bad there but on that right side he has big issues go figure??? presently we have at least 4 options available @ OLG with Robinson, Saffold, Person & Barnes. So unless we have another injury I don't see no reason for BW to make the the OL cadre for regular season. I saw Joseph play OLG for a little bit in one of his pro bowls years back but a pro bowl was more like middle school flag football game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yep CoachO were see this very close as I often do get into the deep weeds with this OL stuff but this triplicating @ ORG has to lead me that Saffold post would be the first post to fill if there were a need @ OLT/ORT or OLG. Right?

This movement would insert vet Joseph into ORG. But the Joseph health has been an issue for two season now so there would be some concern with that so now enters Travis Bond who may not be any good anywhere else on the OL but we know he can hold his own @ this same Saffold/Joseph post ORG. Thus making Travis Bond a very good bet to make the master roster as #9. I would prefer that if Boudreau was to try Bond out @ another post I would prefer it be the ORT post..

While this isn't a traditional way of building an Offensive Line, it also is not out of the ordinary for Boudreau. They get a whole lot of protection with 8 or 9 guys, who, other than a few guys, can all play multiple positions.