Xenforo Private node

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
So, in the ACP, it says "If selected, users will only be able to view this node if they are explicitly granted permissions".

private_node.JPG

Question: Where do I "explicity grant permission" on a per user or per group basis? I can figure out where/how to enable permission to see this node now.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This shit is confusing.

So, I make a Category a Private Note, and I create Child Forums under that Categegory, then all of the child forums are private, yes? Now, I want to give a group accesss to one of the child forums without giving them access to all the other forums in the Private Category. You'd think I could just give the group access to the child forum and it would work, but it doesn't. WTF.

PhxRam

This crap is confusing.

So, I make a Category a Private Note, and I create Child Forums under that Categegory, then all of the child forums are private, yes? Now, I want to give a group accesss to one of the child forums without giving them access to all the other forums in the Private Category. You'd think I could just give the group access to the child forum and it would work, but it doesn't. WTF.

Sorry i was out of town last night with a crappy internet connection. I will reply here in a second when the daughter gives me a sec

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
More info.....

Xenforo Private Forum Permissions.JPG

- I've created a parent category called "Collaboratory Discussions", and I've made this category private.
- Under this parent I've created a forum called "Information Technology" and I would like the IT Group to be able to access this forum, but NONE of the other forums under the "Collaboratory" category.
- I've set Node Permissions for the IT Group under the Information Technology Forum to "Allow" for viewing and all Forum Permission.

Why can't my user, "Tony", who is part of the IT Group see the "Information Technology" forum???

Attachments

• private_node.JPG
    private_node.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 361

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Sorry i was out of town last night with a crappy internet connection. I will reply here in a second when the daughter gives me a sec
Awesome. Thank you.

PhxRam

You give each group permission to view the main node and then each individual group permission to see their own individual board.

Lets use tony.

Tony would see a category called "coll disc" and then he would see the IT forum listed under the category.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
She is off to bed so lets help you figure this out.

So you made a private node called "coll disc" did you give each group permission to view that node?
The group that I'm focused on is called "IT". I gave the IT group access to the forum that's inside the "coll discuss" category, but not to the category itself. If I give IT access to "coll disc" then they can view all of the forums in that category.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You give each group permission to view the main node and then each individual group permission to see their own individual board.

Lets use tony.

Tony would see a category called "coll disc" and then he would see the IT forum listed under the category.
so,, does this mean that I need to make all forums 'private' that are under "coll disc" category?

PhxRam

The group that I'm focused on is called "IT". I gave the IT group access to the forum that's inside the "coll discuss" category, but not to the category itself. If I give IT access to "coll disc" then they can view all of the forums in that category.

no.. each individual board under the category has their own permissions.

By giving tony permission to view the category you are only giving him permission to do just that.. View the category. If he doesnt have permission to view any of the boards under the category he will just see a blank category. Each board created under that category has their own permissions.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
yes.. from the top down every one of them will be private.
So, every forum I create underneath Private Category will also automatically be private?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The thing is, I created a private category and then populated it with child forums. When I give Tony's group access to the category he can see ALL of the child forums.

PhxRam

The thing is, I created a private category and then populated it with child forums. When I give Tony's group access to the category he can see ALL of the child forums.

You need to ONLY ALLOW view permissions to specific groups. Each child board is marked private and privilages are revoked until granted permissions. Granting permission to view a category doesnt grant permission to view a private board.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Okay, well, my issue is that I did not make those child boards private. I figured that each child inhereted the attributes of the category.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
yup, it's working now. just thought I would say myself some work setting up permissions. I didn't realize permissions are only inherited if a node is public, that' was my mistake.

Thanks very much for the help :)