X-Factor Pirate Radio Podcast - 2016 Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X, I think you forgot about Super Bowl winning Danny Amendola....Now lets remember the unforgettable Coach Cox
*grabs young X's facemask and screams with garlic flavored breath "You're KILLING ME X! You drop a ball, and you run a mile....GO"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X, I think you forgot about Super Bowl winning Danny Amendola....Now lets remember the unforgettable Coach Cox
*grabs young X's facemask and screams with garlic flavored breath "You're KILLING ME X! You drop a ball, and you run a mile....GO"
Danny was a good receiver, but not the answer I'm looking for. He's definitely a 100 catch guy, but in 4 yard increments. I want a guy who can out-muscle defenders on deep balls and break ankles on intermediate routes. And stop invoking the name of Coach Cox. I still wake up sweating in the middle of the night ready to run tip drills with our middle linebacker, Aaron.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Good point on Fisher liking Keenum as both a person and a player. Some here may say that it doesn't matter if a player is a jerk and shows no enthusiasm as long as he's good at his job. That may work for star players but last time I checked we had few stars on this team, especially at the QB position.

If you're an employer and you have to pick between two employees - firing one and keeping the other - who do you pick to keep his job, the one that is great at his job but shows up late and leaves early and is annoying to be around, or the one that doesn't have the same skills but tries hard and applies himself each and every day?

Personally I want the best QB available in either free agency or the draft regardless of personality, but then again I'm not the one who has to work with him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Players do seem to like playing for Fisher. We've had some tough stretches and I never got the impression players were giving up.

Caughlin was a tough SOB early in his HC career. He worked hard, to become more personal and approachable to his team. It appears to be the correct adjustment on his part.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good point on Fisher liking Keenum as both a person and a player. Some here may say that it doesn't matter if a player is a jerk and shows no enthusiasm as long as he's good at his job. That may work for star players but last time I checked we had few stars on this team, especially at the QB position.

If you're an employer and you have to pick between two employees - firing one and keeping the other - who do you pick to keep his job, the one that is great at his job but shows up late and leaves early and is annoying to be around, or the one that doesn't have the same skills but tries hard and applies himself each and every day?

Personally I want the best QB available in either free agency or the draft regardless of personality, but then again I'm not the one who has to work with him.
I really do think it matters. Take Fisher and Jenkins. They made an offer, stuck to their guns, let him test free agency, and didn't match. Jenkins is a wet freaking mop of a personality and I don't know if Fisher particularly cared about him, because all he said about him was the things you'd expect a coach to say about a player. Talked him up with coachspeak. But when he had to let Long and Laurinaitis go, he said it was the toughest decision he had to make as a head coach. Up there with McNair and George. He really liked those guys, and it had to kill him to let them go. He could have taken the same approach with them and said they were great players who will do well with their new teams and blah blah blah, locker room guys, blah blah blah, etc. But he made it a point to explain how difficult a decision it was.

Fisher on Jenkins:
"And then the money did take off," Fisher said. "The market was there. But we were a lot closer than people think. So I was disappointed to see him go. But you know this is the first time since we’ve been here or we’ve had to deal with unrestricted free agency because we drafted them four years ago and we developed them. Try and keep them all, you can’t. The staff did a great job, especially developing the defensive backs."

Fisher on Long
"He’s great. Really consistent day in and day out over the years. Loved to come to work, always had a great attitude, playful, jokes around and does it the right way, works hard. When he was 100 percent healthy, he was really, really good for us. Obviously, the last couple of years injuries set him back. But we released him and 10 days later he texted me a picture of his newborn [son]. So he’s the kind of player that a head coach or assistant coach will stay in touch with for a long, long time after he’s done playing."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Players do seem to like playing for Fisher. We've had some tough stretches and I never got the impression players were giving up.

Caughlin was a tough SOB early in his HC career. He worked hard, to become more personal and approachable to his team. It appears to be the correct adjustment on his part.
Yeah, they definitely like to play for him, because (IMO), they don't want to disappoint him. There are other coaches where players will say things like, "I'd run through a wall for him", because they're motivated in a different way. Like they wanna make the coach proud or something. And then there's Belichick who keeps everyone not named Brady at arms length, and it almost seems like players long for his approval. Lotta different approaches out there, and that's why I brought it up.

Which coach out there would you be most eager to play for if you had the chance?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Which one of you freaks wants to leave a voicemail on my Google Voice account so I can incorporate it in the podcast?
(843) 640-5440

(you can text comments to it also)

C'mon. I can't keep doing this alone.
Well, I mean, I can, but it's not as fun.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah, they definitely like to play for him, because (IMO), they don't want to disappoint him. There are other coaches where players will say things like, "I'd run through a wall for him", because they're motivated in a different way. Like they wanna make the coach proud or something. And then there's Belichick who keeps everyone not named Brady at arms length, and it almost seems like players long for his approval. Lotta different approaches out there, and that's why I brought it up.

Which coach out there would you be most eager to play for if you had the chance?
Definitely a guy like Fisher.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Great flow to the conversation, X. Enjoyed the podcast. Looking forward to the next one.

I'd love to get some DB talk going. There may be some very dynamic things happening back there brother. Including a surprise or two. Alexander? Sensabaugh? Gaines? Cody Davis? Joyner? Bryant?

How will those spots all shake out? We know Tru will be there. TJ and probably Joyner with a large role. After that?

Edit: ps. I am so freaking glad Jenkins is gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Fisher is a Keenum fan. He could be around a while as #2 if they go QB early... Or Mannion supplants him.

And... Yes. We need points. Whatever it takes. People say our defense was good last year... Well, we saw how many wins that got us when we couldn't score points.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Good listen, I pretty much agree with everything you said reguarding the QBs. Also id sign Keenum for 30 years too as a back up. He's definitely would be a great as a QB2.

You should make more, you're a natural. X casts allday.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You mentioned Torry Holt being the last great WR...very true, but even more eye opening may be that through all the WR draft picks since then...bandaids like Mark Clayton(2010) and Brandon Lloyd(2011) arguably outperformed them all and looked like legit targets on the field.

IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You mentioned Torry Holt being the last great WR...very true, but even more eye opening may be that through all the WR draft picks since then...bandaids like Mark Clayton(2010) and Brandon Lloyd(2011) arguably outperformed them all and looked like legit targets on the field.

IMO.
Yup. Even Danario, who was undrafted and always injured, looked light years better than Gibson, Pettis, Salas, Robinson, MSW, Amendola, Gilyard, Quick, etc etc. That's all I want, dude. A guy who looks and plays like Alexander, but with better hands and two knees.

Not too much to ask I don't think.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yup. Even Danario, who was undrafted and always injured, looked light years better than Gibson, Pettis, Salas, Robinson, MSW, Amendola, Gilyard, Quick, etc etc. That's all I want, dude. A guy who looks and plays like Alexander, but with better hands and two knees.

Not too much to ask I don't think.
I was going to mention DX also. I suppose that having Bradford throwing to those guys factors in a bit...but still, it's been futile outside at WR in the Fisher/Snead era..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I see you took the last 7 or so months off until now...:whistle:
Yeah. Been a REAL busy 7 months though. Moved 4 times across two states. And now I'm moving again in July.