Wyche on McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The most common refrain I have heard from multiple NFL people this offseason is that folks who work, play and coach with the Rams are telling anyone who will listen that they should want to be around Coach Sean McVay. He's different and special

[twitter.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Leprechaun is a charmer extraodinaire!

Agreed, but some challenges with the coaching staff as gone are Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson & Tyrone McKenzie, in are Jedd Fisch, Liam Cohen & Matt Daniels, with promotions of Zac Taylor, Aaron Kromer & Shane Waldron. Of the group, my concern is Waldron, who McVay seems very high on, however, looking at his career nothing stands out.

jap

Legend
Agreed, but some challenges with the coaching staff as gone are Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson & Tyrone McKenzie, in are Jedd Fisch, Liam Cohen & Matt Daniels, with promotions of Zac Taylor, Aaron Kromer & Shane Waldron. Of the group, my concern is Waldron, who McVay seems very high on, however, looking at his career nothing stands out.

He might be a diamond in the rough who Sean recognizes with his eye for talent.

…..

Legend
Yeah soooo...Im like the total opposite of you as far as being concerned. I don't care where these assistants come from. They'll teach what they're told to teach. Now and then a good one will arise from the heap, much like Sean McVay did, but bye and large, most are replaceable on an annual basis and you barely feel it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Shane Waldron. Of the group, my concern is Waldron, who McVay seems very high on, however, looking at his career nothing stands out.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...aldron-tight-end-gerald-everett-2018-players/

Shane Waldron is excited about the Rams' crop of talent at TE
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_10458279.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams spent their top pick in 2017 on a tight end, hoping to give Sean McVay his version of Jordan Reed in Los Angeles. Of course, that player was Gerald Everett, who didn’t have a huge impact as a rookie.

As the No. 2 tight end, Everett caught just 16 passes for 244 yards and two touchdowns, the majority of which came in the first two weeks of the season (four catches, 134 yards). Although he faded down the stretch with his role decreasing, there’s plenty of promise in his game.

He possesses the traits NFL coaches covet in tight ends: movement skills, good hands, athleticism. And while he’ll never be an elite blocker, he’s a good complement to Tyler Higbee with plenty of room to grow.

He’s a big reason new pass game coordinator Shane Waldron is excited about the Rams’ tight end group.

“He’s got elite ball tracking skills, his ability to make plays after the catch — stuff like that. So that, in my mind, was his elite trait that he had,” Waldron said, via the team’s official site. “And it makes you say, ‘Let’s take a chance on this guy, get him, and get him in the building, and build the offense around some of his strengths as well.’”

Higbee wasn’t a hugely impactful player for the Rams, but he improved as a blocker throughout the season and made some key catches in big spots. He’ll continue to grow as an all-around tight end in 2018 with the Rams presumably trying to utilize more two-tight end sets, getting Higbee and Everett on the field together frequently.

“I think all of them are going to have long careers and great careers ahead of them as they keep improving each individual aspect,” Waldron said. “I thought Tyler did a great job coming along as a blocker. Know he can catch the ball and keep working that way. And then Gerald, obviously, developing as a full, all-around player — he’s got some great things that he can continue to work on.”

Temarrick Hemingway is the wild card of the group. He missed the entire 2017 season due to a torn ACL suffered in the preseason(corrected below - it was a broken fibula), but he has an enticing skill set that should allow him to push for reps on offense.

He ran a 4.71 40-yard dash with a 3-cone drill of 6.88 seconds and a 60-yard shuttle time of 11.50 – all of which ranked among the best at his position group in 2016. Waldron said he’s “excited to get him back” in 2018 after seeing him go through the rehab process as he recovers from a torn ACL.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Temarrick Hemingway is the wild card of the group. He missed the entire 2017 season due to a torn ACL suffered in the preseason, but he has an enticing skill set that should allow him to push for reps on offense.

He ran a 4.71 40-yard dash with a 3-cone drill of 6.88 seconds and a 60-yard shuttle time of 11.50 – all of which ranked among the best at his position group in 2016. Waldron said he’s “excited to get him back” in 2018 after seeing him go through the rehab process as he recovers from a torn ACL.

Wait didn’t Hemingway break his leg or something? I don’t remember an ACL tear...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
, but bye and large, most are replaceable on an annual basis and you barely feel it.

I'm going to disagree here, Steve Loney & Aaron Kromer both coach offensive lines, but were they interchangeable? I do understand your post and I also realize you're not communicating about coordinators, but more in the area of position coaches, but again I do believe that there is a major difference in some position coaches and that usually separates a quality staff from one that under performs and it translates to the field as well IMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to disagree here, Steve Loney & Aaron Kromer both coach offensive lines, but were they interchangeable? I do understand your post and I also realize you're not communicating about coordinators, but more in the area of position coaches, but again I do believe that there is a major difference in some position coaches and that usually separates a quality staff from one that under performs and it translates to the field as well IMHO.

I think some of the coaches are interchangeable. I'm less worried about losing QB Coaches and OCs. I'm much more worried about losing Kromer, Bones, or Wade. We'd need to add an amazing coach to replace any of those three if we lost them.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think some of the coaches are interchangeable. I'm less worried about losing QB Coaches and OCs.

Again I'm not so sure, if you have an assistant like a Greg Olson that is coaching Quarterbacks, when he usually coordinates an offense, I believe that is a plus. Will there be a drop off with Zac Taylor coaching QB's? Not sure, but I sure as hell know that Olson was a major upgrade over Chris "Tinky" Weinke and concur with a Head Coach calling the plays, you are less concerned about the Offensive Coordinator, however, on the current staff there are some fine young assistants the CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant for example and I do believe there is a huge difference with Strength & Conditioning Coaches and I believe Ted Rath showcased that last season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Wait didn’t Hemingway break his leg or something? I don’t remember an ACL tear...

The author of that piece was wrong and you are correct sir.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-hemingway-20170827-story.html

Rams tight end Temarrick Hemingway to undergo surgery for broken fibula
By GARY KLEIN

EXGER6ZTZZCIDEV4N5V77RJ4IY.jpg

Jae C. Hong / Associated Press

Rams tight end Temarrick Hemingway suffered a broken fibula Saturday during a preseason loss to the Chargers and will have surgery this week, coach Sean McVay said Sunday.

Hemingway, a second-year pro, could be sidelined eight to 10 weeks or three to four months, depending on what doctors see during surgery, McVay said.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Getting back to Sean McVay, I was reading some folk-rock interviews and googled for a pic of Chad Mitchell when I came across this pic that made me lmao.

Chad.jpg

A55VA6

Legend
I think some of the coaches are interchangeable. I'm less worried about losing QB Coaches and OCs. I'm much more worried about losing Kromer, Bones, or Wade. We'd need to add an amazing coach to replace any of those three if we lost them.
Agree 100%.

…..

Legend

I think I can go with most of this, there are some positional guys that gain a fine reputation and are highly sought after, or at least never without a job, or even a next job while in their current one. Thanks for understanding what I was focusing on. In my mind, a great HC and team philosophy set the tone for the whole ship. While you are correct, I also believe the senior leadership, philosophy and system can help make the coaches succeed and gain notoriety.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

The Kromer, Bones, Wade list that you gave is quite right.

But honestly I think Aubrey Pleasant is the coach I am most scared of losing. I want to see him grow into Wade's role. Fortunately/Unfortunately we have a somewhat embarrassment of riches in the secondary and that could possibly spring board the guy into a larger role.

I'm a big fan of his and I think he is a big reason I am comfortable with the Peters and Talib backfield.

McVay "Communication is going to be at a premium"