WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There have been times against Seattle and San Francisco that there were no open targets for Austin Davis to throw too. Now I know that it happens to most teams at some points in games but especially against San Francisco it happened a lot.

In the first few games the Rams seemed to have receivers open often.

For those that get to go to the games. What are you seeing with the WR? They getting open and QB not seeing them? They getting shut down? What happened to Brian Quick, is he getting doubled? He almost has disappeared in last two games.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Don't know exactly, but the 49ers and Seahawks do have two of the best secondaries in the NFL. I wouldn't fret too much.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
There was a number of times at the whiners game that the Rams had open receivers. Can't say that about Seattle game as I wasn't there.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Probably my fault on Brian Quick. I picked him up 2 weeks ago in fantasy. Stupid, stupid thing to do. One of my only rules in fantasy is to not play Rams players. Which is why I'll stay away from Tre Mason, even though I need to replace CJ Spiller.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
There have been times against Seattle and San Francisco that there were no open targets for Austin Davis to throw too. Now I know that it happens to most teams at some points in games but especially against San Francisco it happened a lot.

For those that get to go to the games. What are you seeing with the WR? They getting open and QB not seeing them? They getting shut down? What happened to Brian Quick, is he getting doubled? He almost has disappeared in last two games.
Brian Quick hasn't disappeared at all. It may appear that way on the stat sheet, when the QB doesn't get him the ball. They only attempted 21 passes yesterday (which is what they need to do to win consistently), and after the 1st quarter of the SF, Davis only completed 10 passes (out of 28 attempts).

Quick was targeted TWICE yesterday, and caught both balls for a 16.5 yard avg. Davis completed 10 passes to RBs (Cunningham) or TEs, & 7 passes to WRs. I think he played his BEST game to date, because he didn't force throws, and took what the defense gave him But to say its because the WRs disappeared, to me, isn't accurate.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

it's already gotten around to watch out for quick. he's picking up double teams same with cook which is opening up the rest of the field. he'll just need to progressive and overcome the double if he wants to be a true number one.

but listen to yourself. we're actually talking about Rams reciecers making plays and getting open! finally a new era!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian Quick hasn't disappeared at all. It may appear that way on the stat sheet, when the QB doesn't get him the ball. They only attempted 21 passes yesterday (which is what they need to do to win consistently), and after the 1st quarter of the SF, Davis only completed 10 passes (out of 28 attempts).

Quick was targeted TWICE yesterday, and caught both balls for a 16.5 yard avg. Davis completed 10 passes to RBs (Cunningham) or TEs, & 7 passes to WRs. I think he played his BEST game to date, because he didn't force throws, and took what the defense gave him But to say its because the WRs disappeared, to me, isn't accurate.

From a TV only point of view 'disappeared' seems accurate after all of the targets Quick got in the first two games. I am not arguing with you though and this is why I asked for opinions from fans at the game. Watching on TV it is difficult to tell if Davis threw so much to RBs and TEs because WR weren't open or if it was just the gameplan and design of the plays run. I think Quick had a drop too, or was that Britt (similar size and shape, cant recall which). I figure many of the Runningback throws is due to not having WRs open and they are mostly checkdowns. There did seem to be a few times where Davis had trouble finding someone to throw to. You make a good point about there only being 28 passing attempts.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
it's already gotten around to watch out for quick. he's picking up double teams same with cook which is opening up the rest of the field. he'll just need to progressive and overcome the double if he wants to be a true number one.

but listen to yourself. we're actually talking about Rams receivers making plays and getting open! finally a new era!

Really? Quick is getting double teamed along with Cook? You don't get to see that stuff on TV. I really wish I could attend some games. Maybe I should start playing the Powerball again. That is about the only way I could justify a weekend in St. Louis.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I go to the games but honestly see more of that kind of stuff when watching at home...unless I really decide to key in on a specific player.

At the game you pretty much can't help but follow the ball...at least for me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't know exactly, but the 49ers and Seahawks do have two of the best secondaries in the NFL. I wouldn't fret too much.

Not really fretting. Just curious. I may have to break down and get the All22 or whatever it is called. I went from never seeing Rams games to listening to them on the radio when they played the Eagles, Giants or Steelers, to Internet radio! Then to NFL package on Direct TV. With each step up I was so happy to be getting something. Now that I am spoiled I want more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I go to the games but honestly see more of that kind of stuff when watching at home...unless I really decide to key in on a specific player.

At the game you pretty much can't help but follow the ball...at least for me.

I seem to take it all in at games. I watch for certain players because questions arise for me, like this one so for a bit of the game I would watch the WRs. On TV I have been focusing on GRob a lot lately and also Donald. It can be tough to find Donald when they show a sideline view but he usually shows up in the backfield. I invited my Seattle friend to watch the game, he didn't show up, but it is just as well. I stop and rewind nearly every play in slo mo. Drives my wife nuts.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
From a TV only point of view 'disappeared' seems accurate after all of the targets Quick got in the first two games. I am not arguing with you though and this is why I asked for opinions from fans at the game. Watching on TV it is difficult to tell if Davis threw so much to RBs and TEs because WR weren't open or if it was just the gameplan and design of the plays run. I think Quick had a drop too, or was that Britt (similar size and shape, cant recall which). I figure many of the Runningback throws is due to not having WRs open and they are mostly checkdowns. There did seem to be a few times where Davis had trouble finding someone to throw to. You make a good point about there only being 28 passing attempts.
Britt was the one with the drop. Great pickup too, he seems to have made an excellent impression on Quick.

iced

Davis forced a lot of shots down the field instead of taking the underneath routes vs SF.

I think we saw a very similar gameplan to SF w/ just less shots

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I seem to take it all in at games. I watch for certain players because questions arise for me, like this one so for a bit of the game I would watch the WRs. On TV I have been focusing on GRob a lot lately and also Donald. It can be tough to find Donald when they show a sideline view but he usually shows up in the backfield. I invited my Seattle friend to watch the game, he didn't show up, but it is just as well. I stop and rewind nearly every play in slo mo. Drives my wife nuts.
I'll watch it on NFL rewind later and drive my wife nuts :) What did you think of Robinson's play? I wasn't too focused on that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Robinson looked good. I am guessing that as an OLT in college he didn't do much pulling. I could be wrong but if that is the case that would be one of the things he needed to learn and he has learned it very well. I haven't really noticed him getting the downfield blocks at the second level that he always did at Auburn but this is the NFL and I expect that will come in time but he opens holes. He doesn't miss his assignment on running plays. When he engages he is winning the battles. He did great against Justin Smith in his first game. Notice that Davis had a better pocket to throw from in this last game too. The inside pass rush was not as much of a factor. With Saffold and GRob at G it is reminiscent of Jhari Evans and Carl Nicks in New Orleans all of those years.

Once/if GRob is moved to tackle I hope the Rams find a comparable replacement for him at Guard in the draft or FA.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Sorry gotta disagree with this. Seahawks yes, but the 49ers secondary is garbage (ask Peyton).

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Brian Quick hasn't disappeared at all. ... They only attempted 21 passes yesterday (which is what they need to do to win consistently), ... I think he played his BEST game to date, because he didn't force throws, and took what the defense gave him.
I agree with your thoughts on Quick and that the Rams should be limiting their number of passes, controlling the game by power running. I disagree that this was AD's best game, however. I thought there was way too much dink passing "taking what the defense gave him", to me a bad phrase. AD & the offense did not win this game, special teams did. Other games AD was better and did enough to win, it's just the rest of the team let him down. He's not perfect but usually his forced passes happen at end of game panic mode trying a last minute comeback after the D folded. I guess it's an example of football being a team game even bigger than the QB, which was supposed to be the Rams game plan coming into this season, especially after SB got hurt again.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sorry gotta disagree with this. Seahawks yes, but the 49ers secondary is garbage (ask Peyton).

I'm sorry, I'm not going to judge a secondary on how well they play Peyton Manning and that Denver offense. Of course a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest QBs ever is going to light the 49ers up, they do that to every team. The 9ers still have a great secondary.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Really? Quick is getting double teamed along with Cook? You don't get to see that stuff on TV. I really wish I could attend some games. Maybe I should start playing the Powerball again. That is about the only way I could justify a weekend in St. Louis.
I couldnt actually see it either but the announcers mentioned it

fearsomefour

Legend
Davis forced a lot of shots down the field instead of taking the underneath routes vs SF.

I think we saw a very similar gameplan to SF w/ just less shots
There was a sense of desperation vs SF that was not present vs Seattle....which is good. When things started to get pare shaped vs. Seattle the team remained calm. Davis continues to impress with his ability to not get overwhelmed in the moment. I was very impressed with our ability to run the ball vs. Seattle....for all the hype their pass D gets, the run D has been the strength of their team this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree with your thoughts on Quick and that the Rams should be limiting their number of passes, controlling the game by power running. I disagree that this was AD's best game, however. I thought there was way too much dink passing "taking what the defense gave him", to me a bad phrase. AD & the offense did not win this game, special teams did. Other games AD was better and did enough to win, it's just the rest of the team let him down. He's not perfect but usually his forced passes happen at end of game panic mode trying a last minute comeback after the D folded. I guess it's an example of football being a team game even bigger than the QB, which was supposed to be the Rams game plan coming into this season, especially after SB got hurt again.
I had a feeling there would be some who didn't think it was his best game. But I think it was by far. He made plays when he needed to, but didn't take risks with the football like he has in previous weeks.

His comments following the SF loss were telling to me, and he seemed to do a much better job of playing under control. He had 2 nice throws to Quick against the zone, where Quick managed to find the soft spot and Davis got him the ball on time. Davis also mentioned after the SF game that he needed to "not abandon" the pocket so quick, and he did a much better job of that this week as well.

I just don't get the term "dink and dump" passing, when it keeps drives alive, rather than just letting it fly for the sake of passing up an open receiver underneath. Which is EXACTLY what the problem was in the SF game.

This is not meant to be a shot at the FF folks, although it will come across that way. It seems if he isn't piling up huge yardage games, ie 300+ yards, then he must not be playing all that well. He was efficient, and effective. 18-21 Completion % is off the charts. And something we are accustomed to seeing OTHER QBs accomplish against us. It was nice to see him do it to arguably the best secondary in the NFL. Also, I don't think its a coincidence, that he didn't run around all day, that they managed to NOT give up any sacks. He scrambled when he needed to, but didn't seem, to bale out on pressure when it wasn't there.

Last edited: