WR's breathing a sigh of relief?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
All defense up untill the middle of the sixth rnd. (Robinson aside)
The staff must be pretty comfortable with the growth of the young guys.

FRO

Legend
Mason plays offense too. This has been a heavy defensive draft for us. We have gone BPA.

Wonderboy

Rookie
We have 5 recently drafted young guys plus Kenny Britt. Added TJ Moe who has the potential to be another Danny Amendola. Plus with our offensive line (4 left tackles and a good center) and plethora of strong running backs, we are going to be running the heck out of the ball anyway. I couldn't be happier about this draft so far!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm good with it. I said Watkins or draft no WR before the draft, I'm still feel that way.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like that they've been playing it safe. It's nice to be in a position where we can go bpa.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I still thought they would go after a bigger guy like Quick.
I know we have Britt, but he and Quick come with some obvious concerns.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
or Evans, Yeah Only other WR's I'd even think about is Jordan Matthews and Lee from USC other than that I'm good.
I'm kinda glad we didn't get Lee... mixed reviews on him...

Other than that, yeah, I'm with you.

I can imagine Pettis is pretty happy. And Quick's got at least one more year.

But if it doesn't work out, as I've mentioned in other threads, I've heard there are going to be some excellent guys next year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think Quick just got happier after seeing on another thread what Britt just did.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Said it in another post, but a healthy T.J. Moe is going to make it awfully difficult for the Rams to cut him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
All I want out of my WR corps is that they are effective when called upon and don't make mistakes (like dropped passes and missed reads/blocks). Making big plays is always a bonus.

That's how Seattle's WRs are. They aren't the greatest in the world, but they do their job and limit mistakes. They can block and they don't drop passes. They execute.

Would it be great to have a WR corps like the Packers or the Broncos? Yeah, obviously. But if our guys execute, we can succeed.

FRO

Legend
This guy going into his second year needs to step up his game:

This guy going into his second year needs to step up:

This guy has loads of talent and is getting paid well. He needs to pull his head out of his rear and step up:

This guy was a first round pick and has the talent to be a number 1 WR. He needs to step up or he may be done for:

This guy was a promising rookie who sucked last year. He needs to step up:

Quick needs to learn the playbook

Moe needs to watch Amendola film

Pettis is who he is

Kendricks needs to be what he was in the 2011 preseason

We need 3 of these guys to step up. Tavon was picked 8th overall. He has great talent to be a game changer. He needs to live up to it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Do the WRs need to play better? Absolutely. No doubt about it. But, I maintain that a part of the problem also has to do with Schottenhiemer and the the elephant in the room, Mr. Sam Bradford. From what I've seen, he has gotten better each year, but he still needs to inch his barometer to the right just a tad bit more.

QB Barometer: Game manager.................#14.............................Gun Slinger / Playmaker.

Years ago, the Titans best WR was a guy named Derrick Mason. He wasn't a superstar, but he was a pretty good WR. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that Steadman Bailey could be his clone. Just watch him grow and go his way Sam.

Austin Pettis is a hard to defend back shoulder completion just waiting to happen, IMO. It's just a matter of accuracy and timing. Why do we throw so few of these things???

With another year of seasoning, Tavon Austin going in motion with his quickness should be almost impossible to defend. And for the love of mike, let the kid go down the field more!!!

Chris Givens may or may not prove to be a one-trick pony, but it should be a pretty darn good trick (ala Mike Wallace) especially with a strong rushing attack and play action passes.

Some will disagree, but T.J. Moe is a bigger Danny Amendola and if he balls out on special teams could make the 53.

I still don't understand why Schotty doesn't have a package where Jared Cook lines up out wide and simply runs down the sideline vs. whatever defender. He's almost 6'5" and has a 40" vertical. Sure, he's still got to catch the football, but if isolated on one side of the field he should be almost impossible to defend with an accurate high pass.

I don't know if Brian Quick needs to learn the playbook or not, but the kid does have the talent to be a pretty good target. And this is year three where, barring injury, he'll put it all together or get left behind.

If all these guys are played to their strengths (which I believe Norv Turner would do a better job) and Bradford can do a better job of forgetting a bad play and trusting these guys, they may not even need Kenny Britt to do anything, IMO.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This guy going into his second year needs to step up his game:

This guy going into his second year needs to step up:

This guy has loads of talent and is getting paid well. He needs to pull his head out of his rear and step up:

This guy was a first round pick and has the talent to be a number 1 WR. He needs to step up or he may be done for:

This guy was a promising rookie who sucked last year. He needs to step up:

Quick needs to learn the playbook

Moe needs to watch Amendola film

Pettis is who he is

Kendricks needs to be what he was in the 2011 preseason

We need 3 of these guys to step up. Tavon was picked 8th overall. He has great talent to be a game changer. He needs to live up to it.

Givens was an absolute beast his rookie season. For some reason, I have a feeling that he will return to that form. I loved watching him burn Sherman so badly that he couldn't even get in his usual hold.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Givens was an absolute beast his rookie season. For some reason, I have a feeling that he will return to that form. I loved watching him burn Sherman so badly that he couldn't even get in his usual hold.

There were reports that he wasn't healthy last year.
Idk.
I just hope he gets back on track.

GreenMays

UDFA
That Jared Cook Titans highlight video was surprising. He had trouble catching wide open passes at times this year, I am shocked to see him pulling down balls in traffic and making diving receptions on deep balls. This year he got knocked off his route easily, but in that video he fights through coverage. At this point I've watched every 2013 Rams passing play in coaches film view and that is just not the same Jared Cook that we had.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The talent is there, playing half the season with Clemens isn't a fair chance.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm kinda glad we didn't get Lee... mixed reviews on him...

Other than that, yeah, I'm with you.

I can imagine Pettis is pretty happy. And Quick's got at least one more year.

But if it doesn't work out, as I've mentioned in other threads, I've heard there are going to be some excellent guys next year.
Meh... Evans will just fine this year and do no worse than Alshon Jefferey did with the Bears last year

moklerman

Warner-phile
Was just re-watching the Texans game and it's almost scary to think how good this unit could be if they just did what they're supposed to do. Givens drops the long bomb, Quick misses the adjustment and gets hit in the back with the ball...but Bradford spreads it around to 8 different receivers and still puts up 3 TD's in just over a half of football.

It's easy to forget just how inexperienced these guys are. Givens and Bailey are ahead of schedule really. For rookies, they progressed really well and will contribute more than a 2nd year WR normally does IMO. Quick may just come into his own and Britt will be a nice added piece.

Starting the year off in the offense they are best at will only pay dividends and if Long can come back by week 1 and the o-line can begin it's gelling process right away there's lots of cause for optimism.