Writing/Text Editors

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I've been a long time user of Word products. Never really considered using anything different, except for my test and evaluation days for govt projects where they made us use the Corel suite. Over time the cost of it has crept up and up to the point where I am now asking myself why I am paying these assclowns a hundred bucks a year when all I really need is editor software for writing projects.

I know some of you here on the site are writers. What do you use? Have you tried any of the "free" editors online? And if so which do you prefer.

All I really need is a txt editor. I don't even care about or use spell check or grammar check or 99% of the bells and whistles they include in Word. But of course Notepad has a size cutoff to ensure you'll need their Word product. Ideal would be something that is free and will remain so, and which will save work in a txt format.

oldnotdead

Legend
Open office is a suite like MS Word. It has all the functionality and you can save the finished product in Word format. That would be my recommendation.

It's totally free.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the suggestion. Looks like support is discontinued for Open Office so gonna do as you suggest with the offshoot Libre Office.

Then next will be Norton's which irritates the shit out of me with popups. It's supposed to get rid of malware but spams me with ads even though I disabled them.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I tend to use Google Drive for my writing projects. I trust my own judgment when it comes to grammar, but it'll catch minor errors I make with spelling/grammar.

oldnotdead

Legend
Grammerly is free and helps with spelling and grammar. There is a version for Libre Office I think

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Notepad++.... All you need.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I use Apple’s Notes on my iPhone because I can dictate and also get a spellchecker etc. I have written books (novels) on it. It will also read the material back to me when I want to put it to the ear test. But it’s Apple only. Libre Office works for PC. I’ve also enjoyed using Apple’s Pages software as its free, too.